Opinions on this years OFCC comp pack?

Giants are pretty much trash, the wyverns are pretty nice, but with near naked riders they are hardly a game breaker. You will want to be slightly careful on your "other units", but as O&G most things are probably fairly safe power-wise. Just trying for a sorta example here... but those things with an all Cav army might be too much when it comes to rating... MIGHT... Maybe... eh... it is still O&G...

The Spamming that people refer to is more like when (to use a dwarf example off the top of my head) a player takes 3 units of Hammerers and 3 units of Longbeards (basically "maxing" out on certain units to the point  that not much else appears in the list.). That or 3 cannons and three organ guns (not legal for OFCC, just a spam example).

• Like 1

No.1  - There is only one other Warhammer Fantasy event and it is not a "Smash my opponents army so hard that he doesn't have a chance to win." event as it it is also an Ordo Fanaticus event and sportsmanship is not an option in our events.  So please do not refer or infer to the OFCC Fantasy Open as that type of event as even unintentional meanings can give someone the wrong impression of the event and possibly cause them not to participate.

No.2 - I wish everyone would separate the ideology that List = Sportsmanship.  If you are an [big bad swear word] and play like an [big bad swear word] it doesn't matter what you bring - you're still an [big bad swear word].  It should be a Captain's responsibility to educate his team on what it means to participate in this event regardless of what is being put on the table and then enforce that mentality through out the entire event.   

Composition and restriction does not mean that what you are going to bring isn't going to crush your opponents, how you play the game does. 

Last year communication about the spirit of the event (See Raindog's sticky about the Spirit of OFCC) was not handled properly and as a result several teams appeared with the impression that this 2 day event was a competitive tournament rather than a team event that celebrates the hobby.  Had there been better communication and more emphasis on ensuring captains kept their teams in line and playing like Ordo members then I think that some of the negative comments about last year's OFCC Fantasy event would have been minimized or at beast negated entirely.

All of that said - the comp system has been posted by Raindog.  He is the Head of Gaming for the event.  He has taken on the responsibility and burden to run the event so while you may not agree with it, it does not mean that it won't work.  It just means that you and others may have a different opinion and expectation of what the event should provide. Neither of which are wrong on any account.

I am hoping that if our team was amongst those teams that appeared to think it was a competitive tournament, that myself or one of my team mates may have been informed of this.  Our team did quite well, but other than the one outlier in our team (of which I had discussed with the ratings committee).  I felt our team's lists were within the scope of the event.  I do feel one of the Chop! teams was a bit higher on the power scale, but I do hope that our trash talking isn't being taken as us Canadians treating this as a highly competitive tournaments.  We actually scale back our lists A LOT when we come down there (there are quite a few uncomp'ed events up here). 

That said, us Canadians in the lower mainland (Vancouver BC area) play A LOT of Warhammer, and I would argue we've got some of the best players in all of North America (although I'd struggle to provide any real statistical data to back this up) and I'm hoping that being strong players isn't being construed as being power gamers.

Any rate, I digress.  The real point here is if you guys have a problem with us or other teams, make sure you're talking to them (because if it's us, we haven't been approached on this directly, and I'm pretty sure neither of the Chop! groups have either).

• Like 3

I am hoping that if our team was amongst those teams that appeared to think it was a competitive tournament, that myself or one of my team mates may have been informed of this.  Our team did quite well, but other than the one outlier in our team (of which I had discussed with the ratings committee).  I felt our team's lists were within the scope of the event.  I do feel one of the Chop! teams was a bit higher on the power scale, but I do hope that our trash talking isn't being taken as us Canadians treating this as a highly competitive tournaments.  We actually scale back our lists A LOT when we come down there (there are quite a few uncomp'ed events up here). 

That said, us Canadians in the lower mainland (Vancouver BC area) play A LOT of Warhammer, and I would argue we've got some of the best players in all of North America (although I'd struggle to provide any real statistical data to back this up) and I'm hoping that being strong players isn't being construed as being power gamers.

Any rate, I digress.  The real point here is if you guys have a problem with us or other teams, make sure you're talking to them (because if it's us, we haven't been approached on this directly, and I'm pretty sure neither of the Chop! groups have either).

As a player, I had no problem playing you chop guys, you all were a lot of fun, and it is true you guys play a tight game.  

I often wonder if some people get tough players confused with tough lists.  Even though I lost both of my games against the chop players, I felt that I could have won if I played better, there is no doubt I got beat by the player not the list.  In fact I like playing with people more practiced than me, it forces me to elevate my game.    

• Like 1

My experience with your gaming group is that you guys consistently have a high percentage of that oh-so-hard-to-find balance of excellent playing skill and equally excellent attitude.  Getting your group down to play with us for a 2-day tourney was literally the reason we (the Shop of Chop guys) started the Northwest Club Challenge (now known as OFCC) in the first place!  Point being, don't even start to worry.  You guys are the shizz.

I'm all for moderation when it comes to army lists though.  So looking forward to this years attempt at comping.

Watch out using that 'moderation' word around Canadians. They will think you mean alcohol and will start throwing pucks at you.

Seriously, there are some awesome boys I meet from the north that I enjoyed games with from last years Walpurgis that I would love to play against again. Of course if they show up hungover as they always do it will be another easy win for me. :wink: