Rumors of 7th Ed

JMGraham

Sideboard rumors:

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2014/05/major-changes-to-40k-coming-sideboards.html#more

Which I have to say I really like.  It gives my the option to put some flexibility in my army and for a "blind" type of game, like a pickup game or a tourny gives my the option to have a broader toolkit.  Rather than trying to figure out an all comers list and getting steamrolled two players can have hard counters for each other.  As a casual player I want the option of having more models  as options anyway.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Sideboard are great in smaller game. In a game like this where a 20% sideboard on a 2k army could mean almost a hundred extra models in the extreme. That is a lot to tote. It also means longer delays in starting games.

I'm really curious about this update. I really like the idea of percentage foc, but I see compatibility issues with formations, and allies. foc could use a revisit.

Sideboard are great in smaller game. In a game like this where a 20% sideboard on a 2k army could mean almost a hundred extra models in the extreme. That is a lot to tote. It also means longer delays in starting games.

I'm really curious about this update. I really like the idea of percentage foc, but I see compatibility issues with formations, and allies. foc could use a revisit.

For those of us that prefer smaller games (1500 thereabouts) it's not a big deal, plus it's still up to the player if they want to use it.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

For those of us that prefer smaller games (1500 thereabouts) it's not a big deal, plus it's still up to the player if they want to use it.

That is true with any subsequent rule set, but core mechanics, means they will become a norm at one point. It is not a fair point unless you are an isolated game group or garage player.

I am sure that this will be an apology edition in some ways.  They have to make it look good and a complete project so Hasbro doesn't have another "4E" incident on its hands when they buy GW.

Umm. What color is the sky in your world?

• Like 2

Umm. What color is the sky in your world?

Happy wonderful fucshia! Or something. I think I ate too many of those mushrooms.

I have been wondering if they have been moving to be gobbled up by a bigger overall presence. The pricing of the models has always been an issue way back to Rogue Trader days and on the whole I still feel you get a good deal for the kits they put out. The shift to hardcover only and subsequent pricing of for the rulebooks however has really made me consider things as for a long while I have been lucky to get in a gaming day every one or two months.

It strikes me that one of the best potential changes to make would be an overhaul and expansion of the Missions. More of them, with more variety, and more reflective of the new paradigms of modern codexes. I don't think there's been a WD battle report in over a year that uses an unmodified book mission, and most were just made up by the participants.

• Like 3

Frankly I think with 18 ways the missions can be set up, plus the virtually infinite variation of terrain/objectives and lists that the game is pretty varied already. 

Made up on the spot missions are fun for forging the narrative or whatever, but not that awesome for having a compact and solid rules set.  

• Like 2

Frankly I think with 18 ways the missions can be set up, plus the virtually infinite variation of terrain/objectives and lists that the game is pretty varied already. 

Made up on the spot missions are fun for forging the narrative or whatever, but not that awesome for having a compact and solid rules set.  

I put no inherent value in the rules being "compact", given that the book by and large becomes a reference manual once you understand the game itself.

But whjat I was referring to is that they just need to remind players IN the main Rulebook of the rule in the Rules supplment regarding Alter of War missions.  I wasn't suggesting they add them directly.  Just that they codify it in the main rule book.

• Like 1