Rumors of 7th Ed

JMGraham

Not to be pedantic (who am I kiddin'?, I love this [big bad swear word]!), but I feel like having pre-game discussions has been with us since 2nd edition at the least.  I admit I checked out of 3rd edition half way and only got in at the end of 4th, but since then I've always had to clarify, pre-game rules issues and go over stuff like terrain and what not prior to doing anything else.  

However, that being said, I agree that the AMOUNT of information to go over was considerably higher and the discussion about Escalation or SA or not was even more hectic.  

I think having Unbound and Battleforged options is great - it further reduces the ghettoization of a big part of the player base (Apoc, Escalation, casual players who don't give an F) and gives GW an opportunity, alongside a cleanup of the Allies matrix, to create a more structured format in Battleforged that appeals to another important constituency (tournament players, store players, casual players who do give an F). This shoot-for-the-middle approach was pretty much guaranteeing no one was happy.

I'm not saying GW won't screw that opportunity up, but it may end up letting the audience self-select what kind of 40k they want to play, and give each group what they want. Though I'm sure unbound vs. battleforged is "balanced" with something like army bonuses, chances are very high that nearly everwhere, players will either agree to play one way or the other.

• Like 3

GW has to make Headcount Reduction:

Finance Guy: "Well, we don't have to cut the Design Team! We can just cut the playtesters and tell the Design Team to design the game to have no rules/balance."

Executive: "Nothing like keeping everyone imbalance to even the playing field!"

Finance Guy: "Sure, if that playing field involves them throwing at us $800 at a time through a revolving door as the constant adjustment to counter the new HOT combo is another wacky off balance combo!"

• Like 3

I think its even more simple then that.  I mean really beancounters aren't concerned about balance and game theory.

Is there a reason outside of apoc to own more then 3 of most stuff?  Ohh and speaking of apoc, who plays that on a regular basis?  Almost no one.  All that money spent on super heavy plastic and few people bother buying them in comparison to say a riptide.

From a beancounter perspective all that the FOC and Apocalypse/vs regular 40k does is keep people from buying more kits.  

So its no surprise that a company that has already cut costs everywhere for years is looking for more efficient revenue streams.  Why try and make new kits when you can easily give players a reason to buy more of the current ones.  The ones you already spent years developing and 500k in tooling molds for -- so there's no additional costs showing up in your quarterly reports.

• Like 1

If you can dispel blessings (think back to when the psychic hood meant something) that could mean the end of BeaStar, Jetseer council and ScreamerStar. Hopefully they will not introduce new loop holes to be exploited. I am thinking the let FAQs die on the vine as soon as a decision was made at the corporate level to move forward with the new edition.

I doubt seriously that you will dispel.  It will be more like Counterspelling.  You get your chance WHEN they manifest the power and must decide if you want to use YOUR dice to Deny the Witch.  Two possibilities.  One is that your own manifesting dice can be used to boost Deny the witch (instead of comparative levels which is how its done now)  OOOOOR you might just have to beat whatever they got on their dice with your dice

Denying the Witch was mentioned, so its a mechanic for sure.

Very interested to see what happens.  I am not real convinced that this is even an issue we will have much opinion on, compared to when they did "book powers" to begin with.  Boy when people caught on to those book powers, the arms race was on.

I'm looking forward to having an interactive Psychic Phase that has a strategic element to it. Right now unless you have a Runepriest or Farseer or similar, you are stuck watching enemy psykers roll dice to see tons of slightly OP buffs go on guys to make them ridiculous. There are obvious winners and losers rolling on the psychic chart and it brings too much luck into the game. Hopefully it doesn't slow down the game.

The objective cards could be really fun and keep the game dynamic, as it is now sometimes you have no chance turn 2 or 3 but are honor bound to play the game out and watch the rest of your guys die. It's good for the game if both players have a chance to catch up and surprise each other.

The unbound deal should be reserved for people that work things out ahead of time, it doesn't sound good for events. You thought spam was bad before, just wait until you only see three kinds of FOTM units across the table. Hopefully spam lists will struggle to take advantage of most of the objective cards.

This could be a great edition. Let's hope for the best.

• Like 2

If I wanted 2nd Ed, I'd've played 2nd Ed.

Sounds like GW has gone with the "If they complained the longest, they're the most right" approach.

Not that there's not fun stuff, but part of the appeal of 40K as a system is the availability of pickup games everywhere you go. This isn't Britain or even Europe- population density just isn't high enough for clubs everywhere. We've got Ordo here in PDX, but that's lucky for us, really. This confirms my hypothesis that GW is stoo-ped.