Jump to content

Bolt Action Ordo League Interest: Jan 2020


Recommended Posts

On 10/22/2019 at 2:54 PM, Brother Glacius said:

Tuesdays don't typically work for me, but hopefully I can make games on other days.

I am often available on alternate days. Not sure where you live but we could find a place and a time that is convenient. My army has quickly gone from sprue to built to primed as I expect my next two months to be busy, now I can focus on some table ready paintjobs and reading the rules again. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking about picking up either the British Airborne Starter Army or the Polish Airborne Army bundle, to field as 1st (Polish) Independent Parachute Brigade (the guys in the blue berets led by Gene Hackman in A Bridge Too Far). I know the plastic British Airborne kits have alternate heads with Polish berets on them and I'm not too worried about the tiny little badge on the beret being different anyway... God knows my painting skills ain't good enough to make it stand out (and in reality, the men would have all been wearing helmets in battle and not bright red or bright blue berets!)

Both bundles are about the same price in dollars and roughly similar model counts. Can someone who knows the rules of the game explain why the sample British Airborne army is 1,000 Points and the sample Polish Airborne are only 500 Points? The British troops probably have better stats, but are they that much better?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ish said:

I'm thinking about picking up either the British Airborne Starter Army or the Polish Airborne Army bundle, to field as 1st (Polish) Independent Parachute Brigade (the guys in the blue berets led by Gene Hackman in A Bridge Too Far). I know the plastic British Airborne kits have alternate heads with Polish berets on them and I'm not too worried about the tiny little badge on the beret being different anyway... God knows my painting skills ain't good enough to make it stand out (and in reality, the men would have all been wearing helmets in battle and not bright red or bright blue berets!)

Both bundles are about the same price in dollars and roughly similar model counts. Can someone who knows the rules of the game explain why the sample British Airborne army is 1,000 Points and the sample Polish Airborne are only 500 Points? The British troops probably have better stats, but are they that much better?

im no expert, but just looking at the two bundles, the British has much more stuff in it

AT Gun

Flamethrower

2nd mortar

PIAT team

Sniper team

Artilery observer.

 

By the points of those in the list, that adds up to over 300 points by themselves.  add in a veteran status on the infantry and i could see about 500 diff

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having taken a glance at the Bolt Action Campaign: Market Garden and Armies of France and the Allies rulebooks via the magic of Russian pirates, it appears that the 1st (Polish) Independent Parachute Brigade would actually be fielded using the rules from Armies of Great Britain... The only difference is that they recommend giving the Poles the "Vengeance" National Trait over one of the others, but they don't explicitly forbid taking a different one. 

Makes sense, I guess, since the Poles of 1944 were a very different force than they had been in 1939... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The British airborne are veterans (more points per model) while the polish might not be required to play as such; haven't really looked at the polish army rules? That boxed set is for either army; comes with heads for both armies in different berets.  I expect they can be a 1k points list same as the British unless they don't have a veteran level option in their various unit entries.

 

5 hours ago, AgentP said:

Never played Bolt Action, but I loved Flames of War at one time.  Out of curiosity, is there a Finnish army option in Bolt Action?  

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/table-top-miniatures/warlord-games/bolt-action/bolt-action-finnish.html

Definitely a force option with unique minis. Likely only in metals, which isn't necessarily a bad thing since some of their plastic lines can be frustrating to assemble.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s also worth noting that players historical games aren’t locked into a single manufacturer for models. Games Workshop can claim intellectual property over the design of a Space Marine, but nobody can do so for a U.S. Marine or a German Heer infantryman. 

So if you aren’t happy with a Warlord Games model, you can pick from the hundreds of other company out there also making WWII minis. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 4:01 PM, AgentP said:

Never played Bolt Action, but I loved Flames of War at one time.  Out of curiosity, is there a Finnish army option in Bolt Action?  

  A Finnish force is very fun to play in Bolt Action. Their army special rules give them bonus to firing when in Ambush, and their morale and troop quality get a boost when they lose infantry in battle. 
  Any manufacturer making Finns are making them in metal (pricy), however my Finns are mostly plastic mods of German winter infantry, German Blitzkrieg, and some Russian weapons. They look unique, and I really like em’.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

UGH! So many armies...which one to use?? My Italians are mostly painted (I've picked up a few more models) but the variety is still a bit lacking...and I need more infantry. US Airborne seems interesting..but again...variety. Brits wouldn't be bad....and of course then there are the Germans...and I do have the DAK army box...ugh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

UGH! So many armies...which one to use?? My Italians are mostly painted (I've picked up a few more models) but the variety is still a bit lacking...and I need more infantry. US Airborne seems interesting..but again...variety. Brits wouldn't be bad....and of course then there are the Germans...and I do have the DAK army box...ugh.

Take everyone by surprise (especially the Italians) and play Kenya

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, BRVH said:

Hello I am new to the forum and want to start playing BA with a consistent group. Will there be another league starting after the current one is finished? I almost have all of my American Airborne ready to go. 

Hi BRVH, 

While there isn't specific plans to start another league on the heels of the current one, you can always post in the game night thread to setup a game in advance if people are available. 

Several of us currently playing are planning to play in a blood bowl league that starts immediately after the current league ends, but may still be available to play BA when time permits. I'd like to possibly run a 'less competitive' tournament on a weekend in the coming months if there is interest and may look to run a more formal league again later this year if there is interest. The current league has been very casual to try and introduce the game system to the ordo community.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...