US Masters: Comp choices

Which comp system should US Masters use?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which comp system should US Masters use?

• No comp
    • ETC comp
    • Swedish comp
    • "Pool" comp (like SCGT)

US Masters committee is voting on comp choices. I thought I'd poll the community to see what you guys think (and if you even care!) icon_e_smile.gif

If you don't know about these different types of comp, they are easily found via Google. Comp (short for composition) allows tournament organizers to address perceived balance issues in the Warhammer game and army books. Regionally, we tend to play with light to no comp (Wet Coast GT bans four special characters, which is an example of very light comp).

I've added a poll (hopefully it works!) so please vote if you have an opinion.

I went with swedish comp.  I believe that with a no comp system it helps to assists the min-max army lists.  I like the swedish comp system because it rewards players who take weaker lists and then the armies who do have the most of the "big guns" available to them could start the game down by 300 VP.  It's also a simple yet effective system to get a list rating and you can make neccessary adjustments, pretty easiliy, to make your list harder or softer.

• Like 2

We've been looking really closely at comp systems locally here in B'ham, and we really like Swedish composition. It lets folks bring whatever lists they'd like (within reason) but does a better job of balancing things than GW's built-in point-buy comp system. It's also predictable, so folks know what they're getting into.

• Like 3

My concern around Swedish is that it's not a comp system that has been used widely in our region. If you're going to the Masters and you're playing against people who are well used to Swedish, it automatically puts you at a disadvantage, in a tournament that is filled with the top talent in the country.

At least with no comp, it's a more level playing field when it comes to army list composition - you know exactly what you're getting yourself into.

I've played in a lot of tournaments over the past 20+ years, from heavily comped to uncomped and everything in between. The one thing that seems to be constant is that, in comped tournaments, you see a wider variety of armies taken (and have success) than at uncomped events. I like variety, and I think Swedish comp is a better at it than most (accepting the fact that NO comp system, least of all GW's own comp, is perfect).

• Like 1

My concern around Swedish is that it's not a comp system that has been used widely in our region. If you're going to the Masters and you're playing against people who are well used to Swedish, it automatically puts you at a disadvantage, in a tournament that is filled with the top talent in the country.

At least with no comp, it's a more level playing field when it comes to army list composition - you know exactly what you're getting yourself into.

That's the beauty of the swedish comp system though.  Even if you don't have multiple army books or are unfamiliar with other army combos you can see how the other armies are comped.

The great thing about the swedish system is that it rewards the players who don't take the most devestating combinations for their respective armies and makes the people who do take the harder armies have to really work for that win.