Games Workshop and Marvel Comics Team-up!

Romans832

I love superhero comics and role playing games, I love miniatures wargames... But I’ve hated every attempt I’ve seen to make a superhero miniatures game.

The supers genre just never seems to translate well to the wargame format.

(Having said that, if anyone is interested in a Mutants and Masterminds campaign, hit me up.)

• Like 1

You’ve apparently never read anything from their MAX, Epic Comics, or Icon Comics imprints... or you just didn’t realize they were Marvel.

Epic Comics had titles like Jim Starlin’s Dreadstar; Marshal Law; Sachs and Violence; Christy Marx and Mike Vosburg’s Sisterhood of Steel; and the controversial Void Indigo.

MAX gave us Alias, which was later the basis for the very grim Jessica Jones series on Netflix; Black Widow: Pale Little SpiderSupreme Power; and U.S. War Machine — which features a sequence where a Klansman forces a black hostage to eat his own lips. I still feel ill when I recall that scene.

Icon Comics has Kick-Ass; Powers; Painkiller Jane; The Book of Lost Souls; and more... The entire imprint was basically a giant playpen for Brian Michael Bendis, Mark Millar, and J. Michael Straczynski.

They aren’t going to be sticking WH40k into the same continuity as Captain America and Spider-Man (even though that’d be @&#%ing awesome). They’re going to be off in their own little separate product line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nah, Marvel learned the hard way about not mixing their mainline superhero comics with the books they produced under license for third-parties.

From a strictly canon, ongoing continuity standpoint G.I. Joe, Star Wars, Rom: Spaceknight, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Conan, Indiana Jones, and TransFormers all existed as part of the Earth-616 universe (the “main” Marvel Universe until very recently). They had crossovers and cameoes with Spider-Man, the Avengers, and others...

Heck many heroes and villains who are STILL being used by Marvel come from these licensed books: X-51 / Machine Man is from 2001; the Dire Wraith aliens and heroes like Starshine and Daystar come from Rom; and so forth...

Unfortunately, Marvel doesn’t have the rights to the main characters and concepts from many of these, only to anything original that they added to the IP. Which is why X-51 can kick it with the Avengers, but you’ll never see David Bowman or HAL 9000... The IP situation is a fluster cuck to put it mildly. 

Given the late unpleasantness between Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures over the film-rights license for Spidey, I suspect their going to be extra cautious about these sort of entanglements going forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Gladiator punches the NCC-1701. Picard bangs Storm and brags about being more handsome than Xavier.  

I can't wait for the Avengers to fight off a Chaos Incursion.

Avengers is like the power level of a guard squad. Maybe Scions...Chaos would crush them effortlessly. And Hulk would join Khorne without a second thought.

33 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Gladiator punches the NCC-1701. Picard bangs Storm and brags about being more handsome than Xavier.  

I can't wait for the Avengers to fight off a Chaos Incursion.

Those crossovers didn’t take place in the main Earth-6161 continuity... Although having someone call out for “Dr. McCoy!” in an emergency only to have Bones and Beast respond with a simultaneous “Yes?” is pure gold.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

I'm not sure what Guard Squad you are thinking of.

I’m not sure which Avengers line-up you are thinking of.

The “Cap’s Kooky Quartet” era when the team was just Captain America, Hawkeye, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch (long before her reality-warper days when she was still limited to causing bad luck). That’s probably the weakest the Avengers have ever been, but they still routinely trounced armies of faceless goons with laser guns on the regular. Groups like AIM, HYDRA, Unnamed Generic Soviet-Backed Terrorist Group #75... 

But then you’ve got line-ups that had Thor, Hyperion, and the Sentry on the team simultaneously. Plus a half-dozen other heroes... But, frankly, any one of those three is probably enough to see off a regiment of Imperial Guard, let alone a mere squad. 

• Like 1

In 40k terms, Iron Man has lacking tech. He's got a jump pack and a 4+ armor save. He's got a lasgun in each arm and a good balistic skill, but that's it. Oh, and super human S4 strength thanks to his suit. He's a strong guardsman, but basically on par with a scion.

Oh, and he's got a sentient AI working for him, so he's heretical...Ordo Cybernetica should get called in.

And I'm thinking of the film lineup, not the full range of "heroes" from the comics.

Crisis on Infinite Earths, Secret Wars, The Exiles, Deadpool, etc have conditioned me to roll my eyes when "main continuity" is used as the excuse, ya know what I mean?  🙂  Just like how weak or powerful something is, the continuity only matters when it matters, and doesn't the rest of the time.  

As for the Guard vs Avengers line up, you prove the point I was making to Pax.  Really, it doesn't matter which Avengers Line up, they are taking out a Guard Squad no issue, scaling up from there.  I was picturing Iron Man, Cap, Wolverine, Hulk, War Machine, Vision, and Magneto's brats.

Edit: Yeah, I decided not to delve into Tony's Mks, because again, they are as weak or strong as needed. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

As for the Guard vs Avengers line up, you prove the point I was making to Pax.  Really, it doesn't matter which Avengers Line up, they are taking out a Guard Squad no issue, scaling from there.  I was picturing Iron Man, Cap, Wolverine, Hulk, War Machine, Vision, and Magneto's brats.

Hulk and Iron Man fell to khorne and were wished away to a better, more bloody, battle. Captain and Warmachine, in their 4+ carapace, armed with autoguns and stubbers and lasguns and some very light missiles....get to be mirror matched against a pair of Chaos Obliterators, who are stronger and better equipped.

Not sure on the others. I'd have to look them up.

To be fair, it’s not like WH40k’s characters and factions are immune to “As Powerful As Plot Requires” syndrome either.

One short-story will see a single tactical squad of Space Marines completely annihilate an entire Space Ork Waaagh! without breaking a sweat. The next story will see an entire Battle Company decimated by a few hundred Orks...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, paxmiles said:

Hulk and Iron Man fell to khorne and were wished away to a better, more bloody battle. Captain and Warmachine, in their 4+ carapace, armed with autoguns and stubbers and lasguns and some very light missiles....get to be mirror matched against a pair of Chaos Obliterators, who are stronger and better equipped.

Not sure on the others. I'd have to look them up.

I think I’ve spotted the problem. Your knowledge of these characters is largely based on the Marvel Cinematic Universe, isn’t it?

• Like 1