Flames of War - Bloody Omaha Ace Campaign - in PDX area

barca

During January and February of 2020, join us as we play through this narrative campaign system for Flames of War: "Bloody Omaha Ace Campaign"

It blends your 3-D tabletop battles with RPG aspects for your hero. The campaign includes linked missions to tell the story of your journey through the Normandy Battlefields.
Story Cards describe the main missions you play. They provide the narrative that connects all the missions to the story. How your battle ends determines the next step of your journey. Players can earn rewards they will use in later missions. Ace cards allow players to create a hero for their campaign. That hero will grow in abilities as you play through the campaign, giving the game a strong RPG feel.

If you've never played Flames of War before, or not in a while, we can loan you a force and get you into the action, leading your tanks or infantry to victory.
The campaign map, narratives and rankings will be posted to our Club's Blog: Rose City Dukes and Duchesses

In December, we will post a blog link to the instructions, including how you can participate remotely if you cannot get to Guardian Games or Oregon City Geeks and Games.

Our regular Thursday evening sessions at Guardian Games (6-10 PM) (see GG calendar) during JAN & FEB, can include missions in this campaign.

Scheduled Saturday Sessions (reservations confirmed for Guardian Games. Reservations requested for Oregon City, not yet confirmed):
JANUARY 2020
SAT, 4 JAN: Bloody Omaha: Flames-of-War Aces Campaign - 11:30AM-5PM at Guardian Games * - barca has one table reserved
SAT, 11 JAN: Bloody Omaha: Flames-of-War Aces Campaign – 12:00 PM-5PM at Oregon City Geeks and Games * - organize your own table

SAT, 18 JAN: Bloody Omaha: Flames-of-War Aces Campaign – 12:00 PM-5PM at Oregon City Geeks and Games * - organize your own table
SAT, 25 JAN: Bloody Omaha: Flames-of-War Aces Campaign – 12:00 PM-5PM at Oregon City Geeks and Games * - organize your own table
FEBRUARY 2020
SAT, 1 FEB: Bloody Omaha: Flames-of-War Aces Campaign – 12:00 PM-5PM at Guardian Games * - barca has one table reserved
SAT, 8 FEB: Bloody Omaha: Flames-of-War Aces Campaign – 12:00 PM-5PM at Oregon City Geeks and Games * - organize your own table
SAT, 22 FEB: Bloody Omaha: Flames-of-War Aces Campaign – 12:00 PM-5PM at Oregon City Geeks and Games * - organize your own table
SAT, 29 FEB: Bloody Omaha: Flames-of-War Aces Campaign – 12:00 PM-5PM at Oregon City Geeks and Games * - organize your own table

To get the card pack, Click here to view the Bloody Omaha: Ace Campaign in the Flames of War online store

For the overview, see this article: "Bloody Omaha Ace Campaign"

*Note: Saturday setup for GameMasters is 11:30 AM

Tear-down time is 4:30-5:00 PM

• 2 months later...

Get your Bloody Omaha Ace card pack

Our group campaign kickoff begins on Saturday, January 4, 2020 at Guardian Games

BLOODY OMAHA ACE CAMPAIGN CARD PACK (FW262B) available at:
Flames of War Online store: $20.00 https://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=79&ProductID=8896
Sinclair Games: $18.00 https://www.sinclairgames.com/products/fw262b?_pos=1&_sid=319c83d26&_ss=r
Miniature Market $13.50 https://www.miniaturemarket.com/fow-fw262b.html
Game Kastle online: $15.00 https://www.gamekastle.com/online/index.php?m=list&psearch=BFMFW262B

also on ebay at prices above retail

• 4 weeks later...

Some previews of the virtual campaign stuff on the RCDD Blog:

virtual-bloody-omaha-ace-campaign 

https://rosecitydukes.wordpress.com/campaign-virtual-bloody-omaha-ace-campaign/
batrep-format-for-bloody-omaha-ace-campaign 

https://rosecitydukes.wordpress.com/batrep-format-for-bloody-omaha-ace-campaign/
virtual-bloody-omaha-ace-campaign-instructions 

https://rosecitydukes.wordpress.com/virtual-bloody-omaha-ace-campaign-instructions/

Sample BatRep - AAR - After Action Review (pasted below):

• Blog page and link not yet created.

Sample BatRep - Narrative (pasted below):

• Blog page and link not yet created.

The Download package - zip file: rcdd-bo-dl-1

https://rosecitydukes.files.wordpress.com/2020/01/rcdd-bo-dl-1-1.zip

Bloody Omaha Aces Campaign Battle Report – example #1 - AAR - After Action Report
DATE: 4 JAN 2020
CHARACTER/LEADER: Oberleutnant Karl Dietz
FACTION: Axis
NATION: German
UNIT: Beach Defence Grenadier Company, Kp 2, I Abt, 919. Grenadier Regiment, 709. Infanterie Division
MISSION CARD: Story Mission Card “Hit the Beach!”
TYPE OF FOW MISSION USED: FUBAR
OPPOSING COMMANDER: savvySarge39
ALLIED FORCE: US M4 Sherman Tank Company, with infantry platoon
AXIS FORCE: GE Beach Defence Grenadier Company, plus Panzer IV support.
WINNER: Germans (Minor Defender's Victory)
VICTORY POINTS - WINNER VS LOSER: Winner=6, Loser=3 (Attacker holds no Objectives but has teams in the Defender's table half at the end of Turn 12)
ACE ABILITY EARNED (IN THIS BATTLE): Assault monster – Heavy Assault, level 1
REWARD CARD EARNED (IN THIS BATTLE): Reward, Tier 1, Fieldworks
TERRAIN DESCRIPTION: Beach, village and flat farm country
BATTLE SUMMARY/NARRATIVE:
My gaming buddy “Savvy” and I decided to try the FUBAR mission. He would be using the US 70th Independent Tank Battalion on UTAH beach (a Sherman DD-Tank Company, 75mm), arriving on schedule, in the first wave, instead of 15 minutes late. Savvy had in support a trained Assault Boat Company, from 2nd Battalion, 8th Infantry regiment, 4th Infantry Division. I had the fortifications and Beach Defence Grenadier Company, Kp 2, I Abt, 919. Grenadier Regiment, 709. Infanterie Division, with grenadier platoons (x3), a mortar platoon and a platoon of 3 Panzer IVs. Out of this, one grenadier platoon and the Panzer platoon were in reserve. My fortifications included 3 MG Tobruk pts, a single 8.8cm AT gun in bunker and a French Turret Bunker. My 4th Tobruk Pit was a single mortar, pre-ranged in.

Before turn 1, Savvy fired his barrage of Naval Gunfire support, per the scenario. The grenadier units were pinned down but not the mortars. I lost one team to that barrage. So as not to jam up the beach too much, Savvy sent in his DD-tanks in 3 waves: 1st Platoon, HQ, 2nd platoon. The 1st platoon did not do well on the first turn. Three tanks landed, but one got bogged just at the water’s edge. One foundered and the fifth missed the landing area. Savvy sent in 2 landing craft and kept one for the second wave. The drift took the infantry far from the tanks that had landed. Both assault boat sections (#1 & #2) and the HQ made it to the sea wall.

On my turn 1, I got the HQ and 1st platoon unpinned. My mortar platoon was already ranged in on both Assault Boat Sections, and hit them with a repeat bombardment. The Tobruk mortar had to range in on a new spot. It ranged in but did not hit anything. I had HMGs with the grenadier platoons, but kept them silent and gone-to-ground while the Americans had the protection of the sea wall. The 8.8 targeted the two forward Shermans, hit both, bailed one and destroyed the other.

On turn 2, the Americans landed the 3rd Assault Boat Section. The bogged tank remained bogged. Tank # 4 tried again to land on the beach, but foundered. Both HQ tanks found their way to shore but landed more than 6” apart. The 2iC tank bogged, so the Commander moved toward the 2iC to get in Command distance. The Boat Section #1 unpinned and made it over the sea wall. They only advanced two teams into the closest minefield. One passed its skill test and the second failed and set off a mine, then failed its save. The first Boat Section was pinned.

My turn 2 saw the 8.8 take out the Commander’s tank, but the commander switched over to the 2iC’s tank. The 8cm mortars pounded the assault boat section #2 that was behind the sea wall. That unit started taking casualties. The Tobruk mortar hit one team in the freshly landed section (#3), and pinned them, but caused no casualties. I focused all my MGs in range of the boat section #1, close to the minefield. The team that was in the minefield was destroyed and the unit pinned down.

On his turn 3, Savvy had to get his tanks into the fight. So not trusting the DD-amphibious approach anymore, he kept the 3rd wave of DD-tanks on LC (Landing Craft) and landed 2 of them close together. One tank got bogged between the landing craft ramp and the beach. This would keep the LC stuck there for at least one turn. The other LC returned to sea. For morale and survivability, Savvy paired the HQ tank with tank #4 from 1st platoon. Using “Follow Me”, they both made it over the sea wall. They reached the edge of the minefield that the infantry were trying to breach, but could not shoot. Assault Boat seaction #1 unpinned and got two teams into the minefield, but could not yet clear it. Assault Boat Section #2 unpinned and moved forward to the edge barbed wire, but did not have the movement to get teams into the wire.

On my turn 3, I ceased fire with my left grenadier platoon so they could go to ground. I used Tobruk pit MGs to shoot the  platoon that was close to the minefield. This pinned the section and killed 3 teams. One team was still alive in the minefield. My 8.8 missed both shots on the forward Shermans.

Savvy’s turn 4. I missed the landing action but only 1 new tank made it over the sea wall, then bogged in the sand. Assault Boat Section #1 remained pinned, so could not clear the minefield. Assault Boat Section #2 got three teams into the barbed wire and were not pinned down, but stuck there this turn. The HQ tank with tank #4 from 1st platoon forced their way into the minefield, and passed their skill tests to cross it. They assaulted 1st Grenadier platoon, but defensive fire destroyed one tank and bailed the second. My grenadiers destroyed the bailed tank, then got back into their holes.

My turn 4, I put just enough fire into the 1st Boat section to kill the lone team in the minefield, and concentrated everything else on 2nd Boat section in the barbed wire. These two platoons went back and forth being pinned and unpinned, but neither assaulting. Sometime after turn 4 I got my first reserve, the Panzer IVs. Somewhere in the back-and-forth Savvy got another pair of tanks almost into assault range of 1st grenadier platoon. In the nick of time, my panzers destroyed the remaining tanks. My infantry fire chewed up Boat Section #2. Boat Section #3 got off the beach, and was in the Hinterland, but pinned down. Although the mission can go longer, Savvy did not see a path to significant victory for him, so we called it.

Bloody Omaha Aces Campaign Battle Report – example #2 - narrative
DATE: 4 JAN 2020
CHARACTER/LEADER: Oberleutnant Karl Dietz
FACTION: Axis
NATION: German
UNIT: Beach Defence Grenadier Company, Kp 2, I Abt, 919. Grenadier Regiment, 709. Infanterie Division
MISSION CARD: Story Mission Card “Hit the Beach!”
TYPE OF FOW MISSION USED: FUBAR
OPPOSING COMMANDER: savvySarge39
ALLIED FORCE: US M4 Sherman Tank Company, with Assault Boat Company (Trained)
AXIS FORCE: GE Beach Defence Grenadier Company, plus Panzer IV support.
WINNER: Germans (Minor Defender's Victory)
VICTORY POINTS - WINNER VS LOSER: Winner=6, Loser=3 (Attacker holds no Objectives but has teams in the Defender's table half at the end of Turn 12)
ACE ABILITY EARNED (IN THIS BATTLE): Assault monster – Heavy Assault, level 1
REWARD CARD EARNED (IN THIS BATTLE): Reward, Tier 1, Fieldworks
TERRAIN DESCRIPTION: Beach, village and flat farm country
BATTLE SUMMARY/NARRATIVE:
“Alarm! Besetzen Sie Verteidigungsstellungen am Strand! Schnell!” (‘Alarm! Occupy defensive positions on the beach! Quickly!’)
We knew this was not a drill when the Feldwebel handed each squad 3 panzerfausts and the ‘Stovepipe’ teams (Panzerschrecks) got live ammo, not training rounds. We had barely scrambled into our trenches when the shelling began. The barrage sounded like train engines screaming through the air and giant boulders striking the ground.  Smoke and dust everywhere. Felt like an earthquake, or what I read about earthquakes. Silence, then screams and whimpers.

Rolf goes around shaking each schuetze and checks the squad. We are dazed and dizzy, but intact. Other squads do not sound so lucky. But we have no time to look left and right. As the dust settles, we see boats in the water. Then enemy soldiers running and stumbling from barges, heading from the surf to the beach, then to the sea wall.  Floating on the tide are brown canvas boats, tall and being tossed in the surf. Some crawl ashore and then drop the canvas. I cannot make out what is coming out of the collapsed boats.

My attention is diverted to the enemy riflemen being flattened by our mortars. Glad those grenatwerfer guys are alert and doing their job. Then the ripping sound of our MGs. Maxim bullets hitting the sea wall, then beyond and finding the range to the beige and brown troops. Just then, our 8.8 cm booms and I scan left. A green panzer starts smoking on the beach. That’s what had come out of the brown boats. This panzer still had the canvas around its waist like a Can-Can-dancer. Swimming panzers! No one told us about that! And there are more of them coming ashore.

Some green panzers get bogged in the sand, and move no further. Others hit our minefields, and stop. Some burn. The 8.8 booms again, but misses. Too much smoke and dust.  Rolf orders the MG gunner to only fire if he sees infantry in the open, and then only the ones trying to breach the obstacles.  The rest of us are to keep our heads down until ordered to fire.

Then two green panzers make it past the minefields and kick up sand as they grind toward us. They tear up our position with multiple MGs. Rolf orders cease-fire to the MG. He tells the Stovepipes and ‘fausts to hold fire until the green panzers are right on top of us. We need to hit flanks. I’d never been on the Russian front, but this is what it must be like.

Flashes, blasts, noise, smoke. One green panzer is hit, the second stops. Orders to counterattack the second monster. I hesitate, but Horst hands me a grenade drags me forward, yelling an order that I could see but could not hear. I follow his example with the grenade, then scramble back to our trench, shaking and panting. Two explosions close by. Horst cheers. I look back briefly. That panzer’s crew is abandoning the smoking hulk. Success.

Rolf rolls over the trench edge and over the top of us. He lands in the trench bottom, gets to his hands and knees and peers over the edge. He is bleeding, but functional. Two more comrades follow him. Stovepipe crews stayed in the trench. They were firing from here, but one the two teams is down. Our trench is also missing three men, but I am too light-headed to remember their names.

I look over the edge. More green panzers. This time the 8.8 had clear shots and blasted 2 of them. But three green panzers are still moving. They hit the #2 squad trench to our left. Same drill with grenades again, but we scamper father this time. Two greenies burn and one panzer withdraws. Then Horst and I crawl back the same long distance, muscles burning from exertion. I think my legs and arms are going to give out, I am shaking so badly. Horst drags me back to our trench. I can barely move.

More green panzers. Rolf says “Go again!” Horst is getting ready. I don’t think I can make it.
Then the boom of German 7.5 tank guns. Our panzers are finally coming forward. They look pretty chewed up. But a happy sight. They finish off the rest of the green panzers. Now every man fires into the American infantry that had crawled within meters of our positions. We expect to be ordered to counterattack. But then there is a lot of smoke. When it clears, the brown riflemen are beating a retreat back behind the sea wall. Horst is grinning. I think I am too.

The old sarge, Russian Front vet, makes the rounds. The ammo bearers bring water, bullets and grenades. “Rest quickly” he shouts. “That was just the first wave. More on the way!” Then he is gone, crawling expertly from hole to hole. At that, Horst falls back against the sand wall of the trench. His grin is gone. I am none too happy either.

Just then, I glanced over to our own Panzers. They are not skulking away, as I have often seen them do. They are still here, and are moving into a hide position nearby. The 8.8 is powerful, but is far away, in a bunker. Our yellow and brown panzers are close by.  Maybe the next wave will be easier to deal with, so long as our “big steel brothers” stay here to help us.