Contaminant Contained - Pax's Chaos Cult

Got a game in. Played against @Josiah 's "demo" genestealer cults in a learning game capacity. Mission was kill each other and both teams had exactly 24" of max range. So, I camped and shot. Not the most fun way to play, but it was efficient. I won after opponent voluntarily quit at end of turn 3. Definitely learned the aspects of the game I was fuzzy on. Thanks to @Josiah for the game.

First thing, after re-reading Genestealer rules on the way home, @Josiah , your familiar thing should have gotten a will power check to straight up ignore my attack BEFORE rolling your 3+ save. You get that just just being within 3" of your owner (wizard guy) and can do so once per round. So if you can pass a WP test now, he shouldn't have died. Not sure if you had planned to keep your demo genestealer gang, or if it was just a one time thing.

Let's see, so I did the Chaos Ritual at the end of the mission, as per my chaos cult gang rules. Gained the Favor of Khorne and ritual was lead by Sherri Mackleberry, who gained 4xp for doing so. Which all sounds good, but I had overlooked that success in the ritual means I don't get any Chaos Spawn...which is kinda what I was hoping for.

Gained 95 credits for the mission (110 with my 15 left from gang creation). Trading post has Rare 11 items. Gained a free Helot via some territories.

Now the free helot and no chaos spawn presents a problem for me, as I only have 10 of these models and had the plan that they'd pop and get replaced with spawn. So now I need to find another model, or buy more models, in order to represent my additional crew. Might have to ditch my exclusively hazard suit gang theme.

Game revealed a few faults with my crew:

First, by having precisely 24" of range, I got stuck in a shooting standoff. Definitely need long range on at least a few guys.

Second, since acquiring chaos spawn proved unreliable, I need a more present melee component.

Third was just deployment problems. I deployed rather spread out (gunline), which made it hard for me to feel safe advancing. In hindsight, I should deploy in 2-3 "units" that shoot and move together.

Hey Carl,

The Familiar gives the magical willpower armor to my Psyker leader actually.  I was excited about rolling that willpower save, but you shot my familiar to death first before you took any shots at my psyker. You accidentally did the absolute best thing, and it worked like a charm.

9 hours ago, Josiah said:

Hey Carl,

The Familiar gives the magical willpower armor to my Psyker leader actually.  I was excited about rolling that willpower save, but you shot my familiar to death first before you took any shots at my psyker. You accidentally did the absolute best thing, and it worked like a charm.

While I've got you, was toying around with lists on the melee end of GSC, since your list seemed to have trouble with speed. The big trick I see with GSC melee is that the aberants have 5" move and there's no cap on them, aside from the neophyte to other things ratio. The other fun thing I learned, is that you can swap the free starting armor on the neophytes and put it on the models that don't come with armor (like the aberrants) without raising the list cost.

My example GSC melee list:

2019-10-17.thumb.png.cc02d91c03bee35943e9f0b0fe505a2d.png

Not really heavy strategy, you just rush the enemy. Aberrants don't have any starting weapons, but they've got WS3+ and S5 base with 2 attacks, so for a starting list, they should still be fearsome. Defensively, they have T4 and 2 wounds each, plus the "stolen" hazmat suit makes them immune to the blaze condition. Only real outlier to the list is the neophyte labeled "Archer" which just sits on high and hammers with a Long Las.

Those long las are amazing special weapons. Surprised your list didn't have any. Would have really changed our game in your favor, as just having a single one would have made my turtle tactic non-viable.

I do like the GSC list. It's really flexible. Could make it ranged, melee, or mixed and still have a viable army. List also has really, really good Cool/will/leadership, at least compared to my chaos cults.

19 minutes ago, Josiah said:

I think I saw that transaction happening yesterday. Glad you got a good deal, man.

By the way, are we using modified rules for our campaign? Or were you just simplifying things for me in our demo game?

Been going over the rules and there's more than a few things were weren't doing right. But you are running the group, so I'm assuming that you were adjusting the rules intentionally.

On 10/20/2019 at 1:45 PM, paxmiles said:

By the way, are we using modified rules for our campaign? Or were you just simplifying things for me in our demo game?

Been going over the rules and there's more than a few things were weren't doing right. But you are running the group, so I'm assuming that you were adjusting the rules intentionally.

Any house rules should be in the campaign post, and there aren’t very many.  I do think Josiah was hand waving a few of the more complicated bits, for ease of play  

id love to hear what you think was off.   The necro rulebook is a bit of a mess, so some things may be hidden deeper in, and we could have some things straight up wrong. 

• Like 1

Agree that the book is a mess.

Yeah, I think talking this out in person is the smart thing. I have a headache today and I suspect anything I say will seem angry. For clarity, there's no anger here, just a desire to understand the rules.

56 minutes ago, Ish said:

Wha—? A Games Workshop rulebook with ambiguously written rules!?

Say it ain’t so, Joe! Say it ain’t so...! 

Okay, Broken Condition. Page 51 gives a real fluffy summary that doesn't really explain any rules. Page 60, under Broken Fighters, redirects you back to page 51, which is really unhelpful.

The actual rules are covered under Nerve Tests on page 72 (no page reference to this in either pg51 or pg60).

Basically, every time an ally goes out of action, every other ally within 3" get's a nerve test (which is a form of Cool check). If you fail, you're broken which makes you hobble away from the enemy and into cover (this is explained on page 60, just not how broken is acquired).

Page 51's summary is particularly bad because it describes broken as a condition that fighters "may" get, like it's something they can choose to be affected by. They also fail by describing the conditions for becoming broken as being related to "seeing" which is bad because the nerve test trigger doesn't rely on line of sight (or arc of sight).

Yeah, these rules are really annoying sometimes. As long as we discount page 51's fluff statement as fluff, it works. But I can totally picture long RAW debates if they wanted to use the page 51 fluff as actual rules...

Oh, it's in the above list, but if you didn't notice, my new guy is "Dr. Otto Scratchansniff" who is currently without armor or weapons....I didn't have another hazard suit model, so I grabbed an old favorite I've been meaning to paint. Kinda hoping my next opponent thins out my models so I can go all hazard suits again...Otherwise, I might need to paint up a bunch more models.

19 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

On the painted end of things, models aren't turning out. I primed white because of the yellow, but my yellow looks bad...I hate white primer....

Yellow is a notoriously difficult color to paint...

Which reminds me, I haven’t touched my Imperial Fists in nearly six months. I really need to get back to that.

Just now, Ish said:

Yellow is a notoriously difficult color to paint...

Which reminds me, I haven’t touched my Imperial Fists in nearly six months. I really need to get back to that.

I'm told that airbrush is the cheat for yellow paint and that's why GW has all those Orks in yellow.

2 minutes ago, Ish said:

Airbrushes seem to be the solution to every problem I have in my painting. I really need to gift myself one this Christmakkuh.  

I don't like the airbrushed look as much as the hand painted look. That said, airbrushed looks much better than unpainted or partially painted...

Almost got a single helot painted up to a quality where I could call it good enough and spray a seal on it - then I put one drop of black too much on the brush and ruined the model. Ugh. No finished models for tonight.

I did succeed in hand painting all their names onto their bases. Also painted "chaos spawn" onto the base of one of my chaos spawn and am bringing that for reference. 

I will have cards for my fighters this time. That's been pretty time consuming. But in thoroughly reading the rulebook, I've concluded that the fighter cards are a MUST for the current ruleset.

I also really need something to function as ready tokens. Definitely a MUST item too. Maybe just scratch paper or tokens from another game. 

17 hours ago, Ish said:

I mostly want one so that I can prime and/or base coat during the wetter months of the year... 

Haven't done much with it, but they do make paints designed to be primers and brushed on. I have some and tend to just paint over the primer, so I haven't really experimented with using them as a primer. Old habits and all. But, wetter months are coming, might do some experimentation on that front.

The Vallejo paints that do this are called "Game Color Extra Opaque." 

1 hour ago, paxmiles said:

I also really need something to function as ready tokens. Definitely a MUST item too. Maybe just scratch paper or tokens from another game. 

You can buy ready tokens at any bank. They come in packs of fifty and cost $0.50...

• Haha 1