It's Official - 40k 7th Ed. is here ~ May 25

Raak

I hope Unbound vs. Battle-forged is a good way to distinguish between the 40k we're used to, and all of those crazy add-ons they've been doing as of late.

The tactical objectives sounds like it could really be fun. Makes me want to come up with a deck of Infinity objectives that can be tossed out on the fly, to signify your troops getting new intel on the ground. You could even make different themed decks given whatever campaign you've got going on. Hmmmm..... What does it mean if a 40k rule has me excited about Infinity?

I couldn't really understand a word about the psychic phase stuff. Obviously, it's not going off leadership any more,  but I've got no sense of how it will work.

I couldn't really understand a word about the psychic phase stuff. Obviously, it's not going off leadership any more,  but I've got no sense of how it will work.

Sounds like it's magic for 40k. Limited number of powers. My guess it it'll be roll 2(or more)D6 and remove the highest until you're down to 2d6, double 6s and double 1s will result in perils, though double 6s might not fail if you rolled more than 2 (1 + 6 + 6 would be perils, but a total of 7 (remove 1) so the power would go off). Or it'll just mimic Fantasy magic. Each power will be given a target number to reach.

Actually what pisses me off is another psyker discipline (lawl, actually 2!) that nids don't get access to. Seriously. I want them to release the nid only rulebook that doesn't include any ally rules, or psyker disciplines, or vehicle rules. That way I could have a rulebook half the size. I'm feeling more and more like Nids play a different game from everyone else (which isn't bad in itself, but the way GW handles it is not satisfying).

Another thing is this gives a bit of validation to the rumors of 40k and Fantasy being merged into a single ruleset. The adding of a phase so that now the number of phases match, and a table that you roll on for perils (helloooooo miscast table), means that the games match in phases and order of phases (though the exact details of what happens in each phase is still different). I am interested to see what happens when 9th(fantasy) is released (which I imagine will follow pretty quick given the current lifespan of 8th vs 40k 6th).

• Like 1

Actually what pisses me off is another psyker discipline (lawl, actually 2!) that nids don't get access to. Seriously. I want them to release the nid only rulebook that doesn't include any ally rules, or psyker disciplines, or vehicle rules. That way I could have a rulebook half the size. I'm feeling more and more like Nids play a different game from everyone else (which isn't bad in itself, but the way GW handles it is not satisfying).

It's what you deserve for having such a disgusting, unnerving avatar photo. Nasty underwater giant bugs don't get to play regular 40k with the rest of us, and they certainly don't get to sit at the grown-up table when company's over.

It's the eyes that get me. They see into the soul.

That rant might have sounded a little jaded... didn't mean it to be quite that bad. It's a frustration I've had for awhile and it keeps becoming more pronounced. Though I might also be channeling a bit too much Chicken Little here without actually seeing the rules.

All in all, I'm curious to see what they draw up for a new baseline. I think breaking out the FOC stuff could be huge (and helps mitigate my issue) towards making a ruleset that can be used in tournaments.

I Have to say, seeing 2 sets of rules 1 for comp/ standard and 1 for just see what we can blow up and giggle about. Thats the best thing GW could have done.

As for the magic psychic stuff, I have to say the rules as they are now are just broken, and dont make sense. Demons that dont have to have powers from there god, but the chaos marines do if there marked? Just plain silly.

Also it looks like assault may be getting a little bit of a buff, that's good the game should balance shooting and assault.

Also the sound of vehicles not getting killed as easy, well I have to say makes my rhinos more effective. Concerned as to what that will do to armour 14 tanks, Having land raiders that already dont get killed.

TW Haines

I guess it all comes down to what you want to play and what you expect out of a gaming system.  It's an entertainment investment.  The fun and interesting things about a new edition, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZUq6N7Gx1c, is that it tends to level the playing field for all units for a bit until the power gamers find a way to abuse the system.

• Like 1

The White Dwarf article mentioned the Dark Angels player sacrificing Ezekiel to summon a Bloodthirster, so read into that what you will, but on the other hand, White Dwarf playtesters get the rules wrong all the time in their battle reports.

It's already been leaked that everyone except Tyranids will have access to Daemonology. Now the discipline is supposed to be split into two categories. So, it might be that some armies might only have access to one or the other, but I'm not sure.

What I can tell you is that unbound can have some serious cheese. It's like the worst of double force org.....

I'm not saying that eldar or space marines wont get it, just dont make much sense to me. We fight to keep human space pure and for the glory of the Emperor. Death to chaos and all the corrupt xenos scum.............Now lets summon a bunch of demons to fight with us, that will run smooth with the inquisition.

Just not a rule that works with the fluff in my mind.

I'm not saying that eldar or space marines wont get it, just dont make much sense to me. We fight to keep human space pure and for the glory of the Emperor. Death to chaos and all the corrupt xenos scum.............Now lets summon a bunch of demons to fight with us, that will run smooth with the inquisition.

Just not a rule that works with the fluff in my mind.

Imagine if we redefined "fluff" as "cash cow". Does that change your mind?

I guess we can't get too up in arms till we see rules in full, but unbound really strikes me as an attempt to get people to buy into the game more, not actually increase the depth and value of the game. The more options that a player has, the more they'll purchase to fill those options. If you really loved terminators, but couldn't field an army of nothing but terminators (and you hate Dark Angels and Grey Knights), now you can. Or if you really, really wanted to field a full army of Dreads (Vonvilkee). I'll bet the first army that comes out in 7th has a suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper awesome unit that is extremely limited by the FOC. And is an expensive model/box, but is low in points (more money spent on boxes, all of which you can put on the field in a single game)

I think there can be some really fun stuff that comes out of unbound. I also see 10+ 5 man units of long fangs. Or 8 winged Hive Tyrants (nids are no exception to the rule here).

Edited by Hobbitron

If vehicles can contest again all of a sudden battle forged really matters! Kinda all depends...

Oh man hadn't considered all dreads again... Brayarth ashmantle 9 pods and as many dreads as I can field! I was mostly thinking 4 greater daemons plus heralds for units in a demon army!

• Like 2

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.