Help with going over board.

Colten

Hey Ordo,

I'm overwhelmed and need some help. Looking for some advice for building my Chaos Knight with added effects. I want to do the typical lights, smoke, and soundbox in the body. I also want to make the guns fire. I want to make my miniguns spin and give the cannon a recoil kick. I have never done this kind of thing, but I'm familiar with working on component level stuff. 

I have become obsessed with adding effects to my Chaos Knight. I have been stuck in the middle of building it for a month. I started with magnets. Then I had the idea of using legos. Then I found the power lego section...and a ton of thoughts hit me. I then researched using coreless dc motors from model plains. I'm comfortable soldering and working with components, so wiring my knight with motors and lights seemed the way to go for a while.

Then it hit me, I can't be the only person who wants there, models, to move and do stuff. So I settled on the idea of finding a toy and ripping it apart. I knew someone had to have some experience. So I started trying to find people who had done this kind of thing online. There are so many projects blogs from people, it's kinda overwhelming. They also seem very amateur, and like there must be a better way. So I decided this week it was time to go get some help.

I went to Tammys Hobbies and asked some folks there. The people are super friendly. I brought my half-built knight and told them what I wanted. I said I wanted to find a toy to part out for simplicity. The guy looked at me like I was dumb; he said: "you mean you want an RC tank"? I felt like a moron. An entire month of research and the most straightforward answer totally went over my head. Then I googled RC Tank parts.....and I'm back to the complicated amount of choices and ways to do it.

RC tanks are its own world! There is so much, and people go deep! It seems like the way to go. So, can anyone help me or point me in the right direction? Do I have the right instructions now? Is there something I'm missing? Most of all, has anyone done something like this?

• Thanks 1

I forgot a big one. I want the body to move at the waist. I have given up trying to figure out a way to get the leg to stomp, maybe on knight #2.

My ultimate goal would be for it all to sync in some way. Like the knight turns, sound boxs makes an effect and smoke comes out, gun fires, lights flash, and the sound box plays the sounds of gunfire-bullets hitting plate- then screaming. I want it all to happen as one motion over like 5 to 10 seconds. Think Halloween or Christmas decorationcs. The Santa with "try me" and then it dances is a good example. 

• Like 1