Crafting junk in my garage

RobynMM

I wind up doing a lot of random crafting for various weird projects (mostly for my kids school). I’m working on a full scale entry gate for “Wonka chocolate factory” stone pillars with wrought iron archway above. The pillars are painted cardboard (they’re coming along quite nicely I think). I’m struggling with what material to use to create the faux wrought iron archway, the structure will be free standing and needs to have at least 7’ clearance below, span 5’, support lightweight signage, and tolerate elementary school kids. Any ideas? 

35B780A8-8F14-4EC1-AB18-FEE321D01438.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Cost is always a concern (i try to spend as little as possible as these are used for about 3 hours, i've currently spent about 7$ in materials.) I'm not great with wood working - are you volunteering @Purajh 🤣? Another friend had suggested wooden dowels, i feel like the gauge i would need to use would be too flimsy to support signage. I want to say theres some sort of black hardish plastic wire wrap stuff, or maybe its for lawn irrigation...

How tall does the Arch need to be? 3 runs of Pine would make a good Box frame and could be stapled to the Cardboard pillars you already made. Add some cardboard to it for decoration and your set. The pine would run about 10 bucks I wager at the local lumberyard and a few screws to keep it together would not be bad to do. Staples for everything else. I have a staple gun and compressor if needed.

PVC pipe (or CPVC or PEX, whatever’s on sale at Home Depot) should make good material for making a faux wrought iron fence.

It’s fairly inexpensive, comes in a variety of sizes (both length and diameter), can be bent into shape with the right tools, and is practically indestructible... If mature adult men hitting each other with swords and spears made out of the stuff can’t bust it, elementary kids shouldn’t be able to do much to it. 

13 hours ago, Ish said:

It’s “MUNDA,” he just hasn’t added the top row that will say “NECRO.”

Welcome to the Underhive, kids.

10 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

She.  It's Robyn, not Eben.

I should really change my profile picture so its not identical to Ebens - but i do love my logo (Thanks Sam)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RobynMM said:

I should really change my profile picture so its not identical to Ebens - but i do love my logo (Thanks Sam)

Been wondering about that for a while. Been assuming that you're related or are an employee. Suppose he could be your employee, too.

25 minutes ago, RobynMM said:

Well he’s my husband so that definitely makes him my employee 🤣

It really does. But men really like having direction in life, helps us. I bet he's thankful to be yours.

As for your avatar, why not do a variant of it as a shield or shoulder pad? Or better yet, represent Mindtaker Miniatures with a chapter of space marines that serve as an ad for your site when they go to events.

Just now, paxmiles said:

It really does. But guys really like having direction in life, helps us. So I bet he's thankful to be yours.

As for your avatar, why not do a variant of it as a shield or shoulder pad? Or better yet, represent Mindtaker Miniatures with a chapter of space marines that serve as an ad for your site when they go to events.

I picked up a lot of half finished Imperial fists to make a Mindtaker branded army - just haven't found the time to work on it much yet.

ifmm.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RobynMM said:

I picked up a lot of half finished Imperial fists to make a Mindtaker branded army - just haven't found the time to work on it much yet.

ifmm.jpg

Super awesome. I kept telling GG's Angel to make a Guardian Games army, but she didn't have the time either.

Still, good luck. Would still make a good avatar picture if you can just one of them done. I'd start with the dreadnought, just because it'll be easier to paint your logo clearly on a bigger shoulder pad. Plus that model doesn't have a lot of detail, at least not more than a regular marine, it should be the easier model to paint well.