Next Necromunda Campaign brainstorm thread

Had some thoughts, but they're all over. Need to read the scenarios more. 

I am thinking it would be fun to have the scenarios tied to specific territory tiles. So, to a certain degree, you knew in advance what would be required to take the location. Maybe a day or night attack option for outdoor encounters. 

The real challenge is that the campaign can't be too epic, because the 40k fluff is pretty specific about what would happen, for example, if a daemon prince showed up on necromunda, or a hive tyrant. You know, the inquisition or the space marines show up, and at best they don't destroy the planet instead they just decimate all the gangs and other residents. Has to be more low key, like a very damaged chaos helbrute as the final boss, and even that's maybe too epic for necromunda.

I am thinking it might be fun to do a campaign that builds towards a united front. Like where it starts like necromunda, but then, gradually, our gangs learn to "get along" to face a common enemy that threatens all of necromunda. Very much a trope, but might be fun all the same. Could even finish the campaign with a survival mission where all the gangs are on one side, holding out until the GK or DW arrive (after which, we remember nothing, of course, but it would still be a fun way to end a campaign).

Not great with the fluffy descriptions, but my present, general idea is that we start with a gang war for territories. Each territory has a pre-designed scenario with defender being the current owner and attacker being the one trying to take control. I'll also try to work out a map for each one, one that players are encourage to approximate with placement of terrain.

Next component is the "alien" mirrors. So, within our gang war for territory, each territory will have a weird alien mirror appear on it for a few turns (1 round for first week, 2 rounds second week, and so forth). I got some 2" square craft mirrors for this, though I plan to use some putty to make them look like proper alien construction. Not destroyable, but las weapons can "bounce shots" off of the surface to hit targets visible via reflection. Also some bonus xp for "investigating" the mirror via intelligence checks.

This progresses until about week 4, and then creatures start coming out of the mirrors. 1 or 2 creatures for week 5's game, not sure what to use yet. Maybe necrons. Something suitably alien.

Week 6, after the arrival of the alien creatures, each gang concludes that "we all need to work together" and is subsequently wracked with internal strife at the prospect of allying with their enemies. For this week, each player's gang is "randomly" slit into to opposing factions, which then fight to the death for control. A second player should control one half, while the gang's owner controls the other. The winning "half" becomes owner's entire gang for future weeks. This is repeated for each player. The surviving side is the one that was willing to "work together" with the other gangs.

Week 7 is massive battle against seemly endless alien advance from the mirrors. In actuality, gangs just need to survive for a fixed number of turns. The Deathwatch arrive at the end of the battle and save everyone that still alive, wipe the minds of the gangers of the event, and then leave as if they had never arrived.

Week 8+ goes back to the territory grab, as if the mirrors never appeared and no "working together" ever occurred.

Players are encouraged to role play their gang, despite being told in advance how this campaign will function. I mention it in advance because players shouldn't be surprised, while gangs should be. Part of the point in the week 6 gangs being halved in size is to make the week 7 big game more manageable.

• Jay unpinned this topic