A Tale of the Deep Woods: Sylvan Elves

@TheBeninator and @valourunbound told me I had to start a new build blog, so here it is!

I picked up a large lot of Wood Elves at the gamer garage sale at a steal of a price, so I built a list based around models I have:

-Forest Price on Dragon, Sylvan Blades, Titanic Might, Bow
-Avatar of Nature, Entangling Vines
-Druid Master on Shamanism(?), bow
-10 Dryads
-10 Dryads
-5 Heath Hunters
-11 Sylvan Archers, musician
-10 Sylvan Archers, musician
-10 Blade Dancers
-Forest Eagle
-Forest Eagle
-4x Kestrel Knights w/ shields
-Treefather
-6x Pathfinders

First part of building was easy! ... because I got a large tub of old WE minis that were already assembled!
W2HV5NF.jpg?1

SXb0xD2.jpg?1

XdVzZNa.jpg?1

fD3CbgP.jpg?1

4cEWjo7.jpg?1

aYkK2wT.jpg?1

Now it's time to strip some paint and assemble some minis! I may play around with the list a little; Will try and convert the 2 Warhawk Riders I need from the extra Forests Eagles, because those things are damn expensive on Ebay. I may much around with a list with another unit of Wardancers as well, if I can find them at a reasonable-ish price.

• Like 2

Quick update! So I had planned on getting together for the first game with the Forest Folk on Saturday, but instead I thought it would be more fun to spend some long hours in agony at the hospital while I passed a kidney stone. SO, no games got played, and no real hobby progress, other than go get my metal minis that I need to strip soaking. Original plan was to use acetone, since I have had mixed results the last time I used Simple Green on metal figures, but supposedly 91% alcohol will do the job without destroying the bases, so I'm giving that a try. Hopefully I can do some scrubbing tonight. Please excuse the cool metal Ultramarine and the BA unicorn.
4N9HHEz.jpg?1
fl9Cfa7.jpg?1

JtjoitT.jpg?1

As for my list, here's what I'm looking at running. I think the double Blade Dancer units sounded more interesting, but I have the option of running a "Death Star" down the line too. I'm really curious how ST 4 guys with zero armor and 1 attack are supposed to put out the pain, but I guess we'll see!

-Forest Price, Sylvan Blades (Titanic Might), Blade Dancer, Sacred Seeds
-Chieftain, BSB Spear (Hunter's Honour), Blade Dancer, Aether Icon x2
-Druid, Master (Shamanism), Sylvan Blades, Bow
-10 Dryads
-9 Dryads
-10 Sylvan Archers, Musician, Standard
-10 Sylvan Archers, Musician
-5 Heath Riders, Heath Hunters
-Forest Eagle
-Forest Eagle
-11 Blade Dancers, Champion, Standard (Aether Icon)
-11 Blade Dancers, Champion, Standard (Flaming Standard)
-4 kestrel Knights, Shields
-Treefather
-Treefather

12 minutes ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Quick update! So I had planned on getting together for the first game with the Forest Folk on Saturday, but instead I thought it would be more fun to spend some long hours in agony at the hospital while I passed a kidney stone. SO, no games got played, and no real hobby progress, other than go get my metal minis that I need to strip soaking. Original plan was to use acetone, since I have had mixed results the last time I used Simple Green on metal figures, but supposedly 91% alcohol will do the job without destroying the bases, so I'm giving that a try. Hopefully I can do some scrubbing tonight. Please excuse the cool metal Ultramarine and the BA unicorn.
4N9HHEz.jpg?1
fl9Cfa7.jpg?1

JtjoitT.jpg?1

As for my list, here's what I'm looking at running. I think the double Blade Dancer units sounded more interesting, but I have the option of running a "Death Star" down the line too. I'm really curious how ST 4 guys with zero armor and 1 attack are supposed to put out the pain, but I guess we'll see!

-Forest Price, Sylvan Blades (Titanic Might), Blade Dancer, Sacred Seeds
-Chieftain, BSB Spear (Hunter's Honour), Blade Dancer, Aether Icon x2
-Druid, Master (Shamanism), Sylvan Blades, Bow
-10 Dryads
-9 Dryads
-10 Sylvan Archers, Musician, Standard
-10 Sylvan Archers, Musician
-5 Heath Riders, Heath Hunters
-Forest Eagle
-Forest Eagle
-11 Blade Dancers, Champion, Standard (Aether Icon)
-11 Blade Dancers, Champion, Standard (Flaming Standard)
-4 kestrel Knights, Shields
-Treefather
-Treefather

Is that ultra marine holding a fantasy axe? Awesome!

What is it about Simple Green that you did not like, not enough stripping?

Blade Dancers all have paired weapons right? Plus you can dance up another attack, so 20 attacks from a 10 dancer unit.

Sounds like a west side story knife fight.

Blade Dancers always do more then than should on paper. I learned that lesson the hard way 10 years ago.

Say you bring a unit of 15 and stick a BSB and some blender lord in there. Maybe a wizard too (somehow situated in the second rank, for safety). Between the unit and the BSB, you should have MR 3. That makes spells pretty hard to cast on that unit, requiring an extra dice. Hard Target + Forest (because really, you'll be in a forest) make shooting difficult. All that leaves is combat. In combat, your blender lord + BSB will cause some nice wounds while the Dancers will use the Dance of the Parting Mists. 

Deathstars do not need to be able to wipe out the enemy singlehandedly. Being a safe place to hide all your points is good enough.  Note that safe does not mean invincible. You only to make the unit tough enough to cause your opponent to decide, "you know, I'm going to cast/shoot/charge something else instead of try to deal with that unit."

14 minutes ago, valourunbound said:

Blade Dancers always do more then than should on paper. I learned that lesson the hard way 10 years ago.

Say you bring a unit of 15 and stick a BSB and some blender lord in there. Maybe a wizard too (somehow situated in the second rank, for safety). Between the unit and the BSB, you should have MR 3. That makes spells pretty hard to cast on that unit, requiring an extra dice. Hard Target + Forest (because really, you'll be in a forest) make shooting difficult. All that leaves is combat. In combat, your blender lord + BSB will cause some nice wounds while the Dancers will use the Dance of the Parting Mists. 

Deathstars do not need to be able to wipe out the enemy singlehandedly. Being a safe place to hide all your points is good enough.  Note that safe does not mean invincible. You only to make the unit tough enough to cause your opponent to decide, "you know, I'm going to cast/shoot/charge something else instead of try to deal with that unit."

Druid can't go in the Blade Dancers if a Dancer Hero goes in there. I can get MR 6 on the unit though: MR(1) naturally + 2x Aether Icon BSB + Aether Icon Standard + Obsidian Rock, lol.

Only MR 5 is possible. They changed the rule so normally it does not stack. However, Aether Icon does (the most common case). So Obsidian Rock would overwrite the innate MR 1, then  you get 3 more from Aether Icons.

I did not know about the Druid issue. That makes things a bit more difficult. Hmm, surely there is a work around.

15 minutes ago, valourunbound said:

Ah, I found it. Don't use the Blade Dancer Hero 😃

You will lose all the benefits of Light Troops, so maybe that isn't worth it (you still can't have ranks but you won't be able to reform freely).

Well, MR 4 without too much effort is still good! I think I like the dancer Heroes, plus they give the unit swiftstride. 

• 1 month later...

So as the weather has been garbage, I've had zero opportunities to get stuff primed,  Meaning that I've done 0 painting and everything is just kind of been sitting around. Well, wife was kind enough to take the little one out for a while yesterday while leaving me at home, which gave me the opportunity to do a mass priming session for my Sylvan elves, plus  A few odds and ends.

IMG_20191231_115332_142.thumb.jpg.a48ba45a3a835985fac98bc27de803b5.jpg

IMG_20191231_115332_139.thumb.jpg.061e8979d7101210ded3f6f0f148977a.jpg

Still hard to get it done with the  Terrier of guilt looming over me, but I managed.

IMG_20191231_115332_140.thumb.jpg.f8e041cc08402a5d8a127fe6771af9ea.jpg

Here's a look at my 2000 points for the escalation campaign. Now that it's primed, hopefully I'll actually be able to make some progress on it. 

WV9v52y.jpg

More progress coming soon, hopefully!

• Like 1

A note on stripping models:

-Isopropyl alchohol didn't do [big bad swear word].

-Multi-day bath in Simple Green seemed to do most of what I needed.

-These models have been through the alchohol and Simple Green baths, and a 24 hour soak in acetone, and are still refusing to strip. Brake cleaner might be the next option, but I'll probably just prime over them and see how they look.

RmZHFzb.jpg

Sd69Q1s.jpg

I’ve had good luck with simple green. But it does take a good soak then brushing the majority off. then another soak and picking paint with a modeling tool and wire brush. But that’s with metal. Plastic I do the same but am extra careful with the wire brush and end up leaving some behind since it’s to delicate to really scrub.

then when it’s all over I ask myself every time “was it worth it” to save the money. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TheBeninator said:

Those pewter dudes with the leaf capes (waywatchers?) are such nice models to paint! The cloaks practically paint themselves with a drybrush.

Did the acetone appear to add any value, or would you skip it next time?

Acetone helped, but I don't know if it helped enough to justify using it. Maybe a long soak would have done the trick, or a different brush (used a toothbrush).

12 hours ago, Pecksata said:

01E91084-2AD1-4A1C-9308-84D5CFB3F7A2.thumb.jpeg.eb065e73c460e497e2ab0b9bf39e7997.jpegIf you use simple green get the concentrated stuff not the normal watered down stuff. Keep it in a old glass jar and reuse. I’ve had the same stuff for 3-4 years and it works when I need it to still.

Yep, I use the concentrate,  good stuff!

First test model done. Not suuuuper happy with it, not sold on the grey pants. Tried out my first contrast paint, Guilliman Flesh,  and HATED it, so I ended up redoing the skin using regular paint.

9rrLdsU.jpg

1 down, 89 more models to go!

• Like 2