Mephiston

InfestedKerrigan

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

I was thinking TSO.

Which isn't 80s cheese.

But 80s montage is how it feels.

TSO was what came to mind for me as well. But don't forget that TSO grew, in part, from Savatage, which started out as pure 80s cheese.

I have to say, that riff got my hopes up for Doomrider for just a second. Mephy's kind of a disappointment by comparison 😉

• Thanks 1

I’ve always thought Mephy’s armor was inspired by the armor from the film Bram Stoker’s Dracula. The movie came out in 1992 and Codex: Angels of Death came out in ‘96... I’m pretty sure the Mephiston miniature debuted with that codex.

Couldn’t find any clear movie stills of the armor, but I found a good shot of an action figure of it:

c0c060d16c623515a12ea6e55d555647.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ish said:

I’ve always thought Mephy’s armor was inspired by the armor from the film Bram Stoker’s Dracula. The movie came out in 1992 and Codex: Angels of Death came out in ‘96... I’m pretty sure the Mephiston miniature debuted with that codex.

Couldn’t find any clear movie stills of the armor, but I found a good shot of an action figure of it:

c0c060d16c623515a12ea6e55d555647.jpg

That is awesome armor. Imagine that in steel...so many flutes. That one's obviously plastic, but that is a really cool armor idea.

1 hour ago, paxmiles said:

That is awesome armor. Imagine that in steel...so many flutes. That one's obviously plastic, but that is a really cool armor idea.

That movie is super cheesy and ridiculous, but the visuals are absolutely spectacular. All practical, in-camera effects, too. Nothing done in post, not even green screen work, let alone CGI.

• Like 1

LOL a preview for the BA Lord of Death set to "Deathmetal" music. Love the way GW is hearkening back to its cheesy 80's years.

I look forward to Mephiston crossing over the Rubric and becoming Primarus. Heck, he's done it once before, why not again? Think he'll become Super Bad Ass like he was in 5th? I mean, he was an auto take if you played Blood Angels.

• 2 weeks later...

Mephiston (Re)Reborn!

194d8f86.jpg

We’re incredibly excited about the updated Mephiston model, and we wanted to share that joy with one of our biggest fans. We sent the model to Paul Murphy, the host of the Forge the Narrative podcast and a longtime Blood Angelsfan, then filmed the reveal to capture his reaction. Check it out! 

Mephiston is the Chief Librarian of the Blood Angels Chapter of Space Marines, but his other title is the ominous-sounding Lord of Death. He was the first (and only) of his peers to master the Chapter’s curse – the Black Rage – gaining immense power and the admiration* of his brother Space Marines, even if some question whether the price was worth the prize. Now, he’s conquered death itself by crossing the Rubicon Primaris, making his title even more appropriate. 

922e5816.jpg

c7e341c1.jpg

The impressive new miniature is inspired in part by the classic Mark Gibbons artwork from the Angels of Death Codex, with added nods to the increased size and physical power of Primaris Space Marines. 

10a1fb4b.jpg

494bfcd8.jpg

Mark your calendars – Mephiston will be available to pre-order on the 30th of November, alongside the next chapter in the Psychic Awakening series, Blood of Baal! We’ll be taking a closer look at both Mephiston and Blood of Baal in the coming weeks, so keep an eye out. In the meantime, you can read up about the Lord of Death in Darius Hinks’ Mephiston: Blood of Sanguinius!

* We all know Space Marines know no fear… but when it comes to Mephiston, most are probably at least a bit unsettled.

12 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

The impressive new miniature is inspired in part by the classic Mark Gibbons artwork from the Angels of Death Codex

Now that they’ve said this, I find myself a lightly disappointed they put a plasma pistol in his hand instead of going with the original artwork’s “casually wiping some blood of my chin” pose.

I know everyone wants Bigger Than Life Dynamic Action Pose! in their models, but sometimes something more understated works too.