9th Age Escalation Campaign

17 minutes ago, OreoGolem said:

I mean the way I look at it, every recycled unit is just extra, so I'm not bothered if they lose all their special equipment. (Relentless banner suicide unit anyone?) It's a very kooky scenario I say we just roll with it. Admittedly I have the fun expendable side of the conflict. An easier nerf might be only respawn scoring or core.

Reducing characters to 500 does make it harder for me and the ogres, but we can manage.

Or keep the recycling, and give defenders a point buff?

39 minutes ago, Exile said:

Or keep the recycling, and give defenders a point buff?

Or don't recycle....

I don't really have the speed in the army I've planned to get to the opponent more than once. I considered tailoring, but that's not how I do things.

And Daemons don't have much range.

13 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Doesn't matter yet, but with the experience tables, why does it have us roll 2d6 when the tables only go from 1-6?

That’s a typo. Thanks for pointing it out before it caused any problems mid-campaign. It’s been corrected to 1D6  

Unit recycling is definitely here to stay because it’s a central part of the meat grinder scenario. Only characters lose their magic/special items.

There is no ban on wizard masters at present. Should there be?

38 minutes ago, Wentwizard said:

Doesn't affect me, since I can only fit the one character into the point limit and that particular character can't be more than an Adept. When talking about banning greater daemons, @TheBeninator had also mentioned a ban on wizard masters.

I asked before and didn't get an answer, Can the Re-occurring character be the BSB AND the General? In that 1k game thread you linked, they allowed the 1k general to also be the BSB. You partially copied and pasted their idea of free bsb with 6" bubble, but didn't mention if they could be General, just that it could be any character. Normally, BSB confers "Not a Leader" which prevents this, so without an exception, the General and the BSB cannot be the same person.

And I'm working towards my Miser of Sululag, so my General isn't on site, as it were. My reoccuring character is modeled as my BSB, so I'm hoping you allow it.

1 hour ago, Wentwizard said:

I guess if we are using modified flux cards it shouldn’t matter. The reasons not to use a wizard master:

the level 5 and 6 spells can generally be really powerful (lore dependent). Drop wrath of god on the defenders deployment zone twice, GG.

pyromancy may be a bit broken at this point level (can throw 1-2 dice at 3-4 spells). Most of your targets are core so pyro becomes super powerful.

on the flip side, the master upgrade is like >10% of your list, so it’s a lot of eggs in one basket.

My original impression was to not play hero hammer, but I could be blowing it out of proportion. 

16 minutes ago, TheBeninator said:

I guess if we are using modified flux cards it shouldn’t matter. The reasons not to use a wizard master:

the level 5 and 6 spells can generally be really powerful (lore dependent). Drop wrath of god on the defenders deployment zone twice, GG.

pyromancy may be a bit broken at this point level (can throw 1-2 dice at 3-4 spells). Most of your targets are core so pyro becomes super powerful.

on the flip side, the master upgrade is like >10% of your list, so it’s a lot of eggs in one basket.

My original impression was to not play hero hammer, but I could be blowing it out of proportion. 

More so with unit recycling, could risk self-destruction of the wizard to cast wrath of god on every turn. 96" of range, so there's no need to advance the wizard. Just bombard/splat, try again next turn.

Yeah, I think wizard masters should probably be banned for scenario 1.

@Wentwizard or @TheBeninator

On the note of Modified Flux cards, any change to the Daemonic Legion's Immortal Denizen's rule? Army rule for daemons, very notably adds +2 veil tokens to both players in each magic phase. It's balanced for both players, definitely, but the effect is enlarged proportionately when flux cards grant less veil tokens.

26 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

@Wentwizard or @TheBeninator

On the note of Modified Flux cards, any change to the Daemonic Legion's Immortal Denizen's rule? Army rule for daemons, very notably adds +2 veil tokens to both players in each magic phase. It's balanced for both players, definitely, but the effect is enlarged proportionately when flux cards grant less veil tokens.

You are right that it is a bit disproportional, but its not a huge difference. (2/3 of one PD). I'd ere towards not changing it as it has pretty minimal impact and it's a deviation from how the rules actually work, which is bad practice. 

I think changing as few rules as possible during the game is important, especially for new players. I'm not saying you will get it wrong, but consistency in how the rules work is always good. To make everything work in that context, there is a hefty set of rules outside of the game (list building) that are modified, as you can tell.

Regardless, good point to bring up.

2 hours ago, Wentwizard said:

As a note. All Wizard Masters are at last 350 pts at base which is more than half the allotment at (2k 75% of 40%). The Flux Card limit is also pulling Magic down (though Masters mitigate that). I can see how Wrath of God or Evo double-snipe can be scary, I'm willing to risk it? Also @Wentwizard the flux cards you provide (on the campaign page) aren't the one from the t9a Flux Cards Supplement, where did you get your version?

For the last three page there's been a lot of questions about special-warband army build rules, persistence warlord-retinue rules, and scenario rules. I want to say I appreciate the effort going into making all of these. 

Edited by OreoGolem
Adding words that were implied
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wentwizard said:

Using your warlord as the free BSB is ok in the small point games

Clarity here: Warlord can be both BSB and General?

8 minutes ago, OreoGolem said:

As a note. All Wizard Masters are at last 350 pts at base which is more than half the allotment at (2k 75% of 40%). The Flux Card limit is also pulling Magic down (though Masters mitigate that). I can see how Wrath of God or Evo double-snipe can be scary, I'm willing to risk it? Also @Wentwizard the flux cards you provide aren't the one from the t9a Flux Cards Supplement, where did you get yours?

Well, if you are running the daemons like me, we can't field a wizard master within the point limit. Well, you could run the Deciever as a Wizard master (565pts), but it's got Protean Magic, so it can't take any of the spells that would be a problem.

Oh, on the Victorious Retinue table:

Shields up! - The unit gains Hard Target (-1) in their front arc

Hard Target (-1) would make the unit Easier to hit. Not even sure if you can have a negative level of hard target.

Hard Target (1) would make it harder to hit the unit.

5 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Oh, on the Victorious Retinue table:

Hard Target (-1) would make the unit Easier to hit. Not even sure if you can have a negative level of hard target.

Hard Target (1) would make it harder to hit the unit.

Hah, good catch

I am making some wording changes to the rules to make things a bit more clear, ill add that in. Ill get Wentwizard to publish it later.

Game designers always seem flummoxed by negative numbers.

Reminds me of the old WH40k Third Edition Codex: Necrons, where the Gauss Flux Projector rules said: “Each ‘weapon destroyed’ result inflicted on the Monolith reduces the number of shots at each target by –1.”

Reduce by –1 is mathematically equivalent to increase by 1.

We all knew what the intent was, but technically the rulebook was written to say the exact opposite.

4 minutes ago, Ish said:

Game designers always seem flummoxed by negative numbers.

Reminds me of the old WH40k Third Edition Codex: Necrons, where the Gauss Flux Projector rules said: “Each ‘weapon destroyed’ result inflicted on the Monolith reduces the number of shots at each target by –1.”

Reduce by –1 is mathematically equivalent to increase by 1.

We all knew what the intent was, but technically the rulebook was written to say the exact opposite.

That particular rule was also broken because it had no downwards cap on reductions. So it could have -20 shots per turn, but never count as having all it's weapons destroyed.

Well, it only did 1d6 shots at any target. So in theory, applying the penalty as intended, six Weapon Destroyed would result in it doing (1d6)-6 shots... for a maximum of zero. It was usually Good enough to inflict three or four to knock it out of commission, (1d6) yielding an average of 3.5.

3 minutes ago, Ish said:

Well, it only did 1d6 shots at any target. So in theory, applying the penalty as intended, six Weapon Destroyed would result in it doing (1d6)-6 shots... for a maximum of zero. It was usually Good enough to inflict three or four to knock it out of commission, (1d6) yielding an average of 3.5.

That was not how it was being played, by GW or otherwise. I think it was even FAQed to have this. That old Monolith was really durable. AV14 on all sides, and any attack that gave bonus dice to ap was reduced to normal 1d6 armor pen (so melta guns were only 8+d6). So most weapons could only glance it. And you'd normally be able to destroy all the weapons, which would make weapon destroyed become immobilized, but like I said, they were not playing that, so the monolith was really tough to destroy.

On the other hand, Necrons in that edition would auto-lose if the army was reduced to 25% of its total points, with the monoliths not counting as alive for that. So you could ignore the monoliths, kill the necrons, and still win.

19 minutes ago, TheBeninator said:

I BANISH THIS HERETICAL DISCUSSION OF 40K!

On that note, was pointing out to those T9A guys that a 40k dreadnought would make a pretty good Miser of Sululag in Abysaal Plate.