Shading Purple

I do Candy Red using silver basecoat, and Green/Blue washes for shading prior to the red coats going on.  I'm looking to do similar with other Clear Coats (Tamiya Clear line). As I understand it, the clear is acting like light, rather than pigmentation, so that's where I was thinking the yellows to blues would give me the browns to blacks under purple over silver. 

5 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

I do Candy Red using silver basecoat, and Green/Blue washes for shading prior to the red coats going on.  I'm looking to do similar with other Clear Coats (Tamiya Clear line). As I understand it, the clear is acting like light, rather than pigmentation, so that's where I was thinking the yellows to blues would give me the browns to blacks under purple over silver. 

I haven't tried the tamiya clear line, going off my experience with minitaire ghost tints mainly. I wonder if working over gold instead of silver would give you more of a yellow undercoat to begin with. I'd love to see some pics of whatever you go with!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RobynMM said:

I haven't tried the tamiya clear line, going off my experience with minitaire ghost tints mainly. I wonder if working over gold instead of silver would give you more of a yellow undercoat to begin with. I'd love to see some pics of whatever you go with!

That's a great idea.  I'd been considering toying with a Gold Basecoat and silver Zenith Coat on my Red to give some more warm/cool contrast that way.  I hadn't considered it with the Purple, largely cuz of the yellow->blue washes mentally hitting that warm to cool.  Clear Orange should help that warmth/deep shading, too.  

Thanks, Robyn!

• 3 weeks later...