Bolt Action Starter Question

Mack

I'm thinking about starting a new Bolt Action army to start playing again this January and I just wanted to get a little advice. I've only played a few casual games awhile back and most of the stuff I have right now seems more theater/theme specific.  I'm thinking about picking up the German Grenadier or Fallschirmjager starter army set  and just wanted some advice.  It looks like the German Grenadier infantry sprues have separate weapons.  I like having options, but are weapons that need to be attached separately more trouble than they are worth?  German airborne infantry look like they have the arms and rifles/weapons already attached which is what I've mostly worked with.  Also, does anyone have any experience on how the build process for the British and American airborne units is?

Thanks for any advice.

Yes some of the older kits have separate weapons from the arms, which can be a pain mainly because they are small. It's not horrible but definitely annoying, especially for an infantry heavy force.

I have some of the Brits airborne and they were easy to assemble. The only assembly issue I had with them was attaching wheels to their Jeeps, needed a fair amount of greenstuff to help stabilize them.

Thank you for the information.  I don't have the time or patience right now to fuss around with really small model pieces 30+ times.  I like the variety of the really multipart sets but I get tired of adjusting every weapon.  I've been looking at a couple of units for awhile so I will try and build a newer set. Thanks again.

I'd just grab one of those plastic sets with 30 dudes or a nice 20something metal box. Those typically give you plenty to start out with for a force. I actually prefer the metals since they are less of a hassle to put together (though some of the older gun sets are silly). The newer plastics are easier. I really liked the US infantry box, but not the airborne so much. I haven't messed with the new Afrika plastics yet though I do own some. I'll look into putting some together this weekend and let you know how it went.

Thank you very much for the helpful information. I put a Japanese Army unit on hold because it seemed like I had to adjust every figure because they all were staring at their feet.  I have a heavy infantry army so it just never seemed like I was going to finish.  Just trying to squeeze another project into my crowded schedule. I actually picked up a used set of metal and plastic german soldiers. So see what their gear is and reprime them and get to painting when they arrive. Thanks for the information on your experiences with some of the other sets, I really enjoy the painting aspect of the hobby. Building models over and over, not so much.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mack said:

Thank you very much for the helpful information. I put a Japanese Army unit on hold because it seemed like I had to adjust every figure because they all were staring at their feet.  I have a heavy infantry army so it just never seemed like I was going to finish.  Just trying to squeeze another project into my crowded schedule. I actually picked up a used set of metal and plastic german soldiers. So see what their gear is and reprime them and get to painting when they arrive. Thanks for the information on your experiences with some of the other sets, I really enjoy the painting aspect of the hobby. Building models over and over, not so much.

Also remember that the BA league in January is meant to be escalation, so you can start with basic units and HQ and then add to it. Try to have fun with it and not overburden yourself.

Cheers

Thanks my aging eyes and fingers thank you. I ended picking up a used set of german panzer grenadiers and a couple of support weapons. I just have to switch around some of the weapons and paint them up which should be quick.  I usually want to pick up extra stuff so I can convince my friends to play.  They all have massive Warhammer armies but rarely play, so convincing them to even try a new game can be like pulling teeth (let alone buying new miniatures). So for games I want to play I tend to need a decent selection of units for each side. I'm trying to get two of my friends to play a couple of games so they might be inclined to stop by for games on Tuesdays.  I don't think I would use them much but I'm actually thinking of building a Puma or something because the AFVs look really good on the table. So I have to balance the stuff I want to field but also having some nice opposing force so my friends can pick up a game or two. I'm pretty sure that when they actually set down and have a couple of good games they will see that Bolt Action is more beginner friendly than past systems they have played. So with the league being a couple of months away I have enough time to put together some more rounded units that I would like to play, but also so my friends can try a couple of games and either use some of my units or build their own starter unit.

But I'm half way there. Awhile back I saw a really nice Burma table on the terrain tutor. So I've been slowly working on some terrain for a pacific/Burma theater campaign.  I was brainstorming about river ideas with a kind of Bridge on the River Kwai  feel and my friends both have been interested with the logistics of bridge and river building.  And both of them really liked the older sets of Chindits and Japanese  jungle fighters that I've been painting. So a good looking Bolt Action force ready to play might just be the tipping point for them.

I know I could use some of the forces that I have already.  They are kind of theater specific, which rules wise doesn't matter much.   But it would be one more abstraction that would just seem kind of odd. 

• Like 2