Uprising in Deathcap Junction - All the info

ninefinger

There’s nothing about this in the official GW FAQ for Necromunda, but I found what seems like a reasonable answer on the Yak Tribe forums:

The wielder of a Versatile weapon does not need to be in base contact with an enemy fighter in order to Engage them in melee during their activation. They may Engage and make close combat attacks against an enemy fighter during their activation, so long as the distance between their base and that of the enemy fighter is equal to or less than the distance shown for the Versatile weapon’s Long range characteristic. For example, a fighter armed with a Versatile weapon with a Long range of 2" may Engage an enemy fighter that is up to 2" away.

The enemy fighter is considered to be Engaged, but may not in turn be Engaging the fighter armed with the Versatile weapon unless they too are armed with a Versatile weapon, and so may not be able to make Reaction attacks.

At all other times other than during this fighter’s activation, Versatile has no effect.

So, you make the move, ending 2 inches from a fighter. By the definition of the Versatile trait, you may now be considered engaged.

If you charged, this allows you to make a free fight action.

I think the best approach to Necromunda is to always try to err on the side of permissiveness. The intent of Versatile weapons seems to be clear enough to me: extra reach for thumpin’ people.

So it seems counterintuitive to require someone with an extra long weapon not be considered to have extra reach when engaging... 

1 hour ago, Inquisitor66 said:

Question that came up in our demo game.  Do I need to charge to become engaged when using a versatile weapon?

So, been doing some reading. Versatile weapons are definitely strong.  

It looks like the most sensible/intended ruling is that, you don’t need to charge, you can fight as a basic action anytime you’re within your melee range (2”,3” or 4” depending), but you of course only get a bonus attack for charging when you have charged. (As well as any other bonuses that trigger when charging...). 

I think you are also able to stop short - either not moving your full charge (although I may rethink this) or ending your charge successfully despite not being in base contact.  

this is likely the opposite of what I said during the game.

However, you can still only move into 1" (or less) distance of an enemy model as part of a Charge. 

Remembering this can come in handy if you want to use one of your models (who is presumably tankier than others) to block off a narrow catwalk, door, or other choke point.

Smoke
Smoke weapons do not cause hits on fighters – they do not cause Pinning and cannot inflict Wounds. Instead, mark the location where they hit with a counter. They generate an area of dense smoke, which extends 2.5’’ out from the centre of the counter; a 5’’ Blast marker can be used to determine this area, but it should be considered to extend  vertically as well as horizontally. Fighters can move through the smoke, but it blocks line of sight, so attacks cannot be made into, out of or through it. In the End phase, roll a D6. On a 4 or less, the cloud dissipates and the counter is removed.

Emphasis added.

The rulebook says that "attacks cannot be made into, out of or through" smoke. Not shooting attacks, just attacks. So you can charge though smoke to engage someone on the other side of it and fight them. However, if they are inside the smoke all you can do is charge them and engage, but not actually attack.

48 minutes ago, Aaron W said:

My rating and wealth levels are all jacked up in Yaktribe - I assume from too much fiddling about, adding and removing stuff. Am I going to have to just delete my gang and re-enter them?

I had the same problem and I had to delete and redo a bunch. Time consuming but its a great tool to build on 🙂

1 hour ago, Aaron W said:

My rating and wealth levels are all jacked up in Yaktribe - I assume from too much fiddling about, adding and removing stuff. Am I going to have to just delete my gang and re-enter them?

YakTribe would be greatly improved by a “Pre-Game Mode” of some kind. Sadly, it doesn’t have one.

I just fiddled and poked until I got a gang I was happy with, printed it off, a deleted that gang. Then I made a new gang by copying all that old data in.

• Like 1

Yeah, one of the awkward parts of yaktribe is the ability to either add or buy items, and to either sell or delete items

generally the gang rating at the beginning is an accurate marker of the credits you’ve spent.

anyone can go in and hit edit on their gang, and adjust the credits to more or less, etc.   if the rating plus your credits is 1000 you’re good to go.   If you’re short, just add credits. 

I definitely just rebuilt gangs the first couple of times I played with it.

also, it’s super easy for me to add folks gangs into the campaign, but harder to connect to players- if I added a gang that was just a tester for you, I’ll add the appropriate one when we start. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 10:01 PM, scottshoemaker said:

I modified my existing gang to be fresh, deleted XP, dudes, etc and brought my rating down to starting.  

I’ve sent you an invite in yaktribe to the Ordo Fanaticus guild.   The UI is not intuitive, but if you’re able to accept, I’ll get them added into the campaign tracking

32 minutes ago, scottshoemaker said:

Hmm, try again.  Gang is GEZELLIG-5

It doesn’t allow me to reinvite people, unfortunately 

A0C5A882-8DC7-4465-B7AF-9ABAC8E08408.thumb.png.f7af49a34a5ea8728c5a32b9b9421213.png

try poking around in the guild interface and see if you can send a request.

they did away with the past forum structure where I could browse individual gangs, so this guild thing is kind of like a friends structure, and the only way to add gangs into the campaign...

4 minutes ago, Aaron W said:

Man, oh man - I hope I'm not the only one who's not fully painted on Saturday. I'd INTENDED to have all my ladies painted for their inaugural thrashing, if that counts! 😳

I won’t be there Saturday, but come Tuesday, not only will my Enforcers be unpainted they won’t have heads! 😱

I ordered a bunch of conversion bitz from PuppetsWar but they’ve been stuck in customs or something.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Painglove said:

Hey Gents! Is there still to jump into the campaign? I have Enforcers and Grinders from the Dark Uprising set painted up and some Escher built which I could  paint up as things proceed. What nights do you guys meet? ~ Steve

Hey Steve!  Welcome!

absolutley, there’s still time to join.  Any faction you’d like to play is great!

We’ve got folks on both our Sunday game nights (roughly 3-7) and Tuesday (4-9ish),  and a few that can do both.  Pop on in anytime that suits and I’ll get you squared away, and into a game!

-jeffrey 

Jeffery,

Awesome! Tuesday’s work for me although I just got wind of this campaign yesterday night so I’ll have to try to shuffle around for this coming. I’ll try to be there but if not definitely the following Tuesday. Will give me some time to write up a gang and brush up on the rules. Look forward to meeting ya

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Painglove said:

Jeffery,

Awesome! Tuesday’s work for me although I just got wind of this campaign yesterday night so I’ll have to try to shuffle around for this coming. I’ll try to be there but if not definitely the following Tuesday. Will give me some time to write up a gang and brush up on the rules. Look forward to meeting ya

Not a problem!  We'll see you then!