New necromunda teasers

ninefinger

I’m not seeing anything in that preview (which, obviously is just a snippet) that says you can’t have Enforcers or Venators gangs that succumb to the temptations of the ruinous powers or embrace the four-armed emperor... 

Which would make for some epic conversion inspiration.

(I mean, I guess there’s nothing stopping you from doing it anyway. But it’s nice to have mechanics for it.)

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 12:38 PM, Ish said:

Yup, I’m definitely gonna have to buy myself an Enforcers squad. Someone’s gotta clean these heretical scum out of the underhive.

Enforcers are the the scum of the underhive. Or did you mean getting an enforcer squad so someone else could clean up the scum?

14 hours ago, WestRider said:

I got the impression that the list they provided of which gangs could join was exhaustive. It would be kind of fun to just throw it completely open, tho, all the way to Chaos-tainted Stealer Cults and Stealer-infiltrated Chaos Cults.

Definitely think the rules would be balanced better if chaos and GSC were something you acquired onto an existing gang, rather than being their own gangs.

I like my chaos cult, but I think they bend too many key rules (like being able to start with 3x champions in a campaign, or not having any Juves and getting free gangers via territory control). Don't get me wrong, I don't think GSC or chaos is overpowered, I just think they bend too many of the key rules.

9 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Definitely think the rules would be balanced better if chaos and GSC were something you acquired onto an existing gang, rather than being their own gangs.

I like my chaos cult, but I think they bend too many key rules (like being able to start with 3x champions in a campaign, or not having any Juves and getting free gangers via territory control). Don't get me wrong, I don't think GSC or chaos is overpowered, I just think they bend too many of the key rules.

Given that the forces of Chaos can bend the very rules of reality itself, bending some game rules seems pretty reasonable by comparison 😉

30 minutes ago, WestRider said:

Given that the forces of Chaos can bend the very rules of reality itself, bending some game rules seems pretty reasonable by comparison 😉

From a science perspective, they aren't bending rules, just that chaos is proof that we do not fully understand the rules.

But from a game design perspective, no faction should be permitted to bend rules. It's a mistake in game design.

2 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

From a science perspective, they aren't bending rules, just that chaos is proof that we do not fully understand the rules.

But from a game design perspective, no faction should be permitted to bend rules. It's a mistake in game design.

GW Chaos is, by definition, proof that absolute rules don't actually exist.

Bending the rules isn't a mistake, it's just something that needs to be considered carefully. It can certainly lead to a lot of mistakes, but it isn't one in and of itself.

17 minutes ago, WestRider said:

GW Chaos is, by definition, proof that absolute rules don't actually exist.

Bending the rules isn't a mistake, it's just something that needs to be considered carefully. It can certainly lead to a lot of mistakes, but it isn't one in and of itself.

One of the GW fluff theories is that the chaos gods are the product of the emperor's subconscious mind.

Anyway, I suppose I just er on the side of caution with regards to game mechanics.

GW's conception of Chaos rips off totally borrows inspiration from Moorcock's works (e.g., The Eternal Champion, Stormbringer, etc.) In both Moorcock's setting and GW's Chaos represents the principle of possibility. The difference is that Moorcock's Chaos is opposed by Law, in the GW universe Law is part of Chaos. If all things are possible, than one of those possibilities is an orderly, systematic, and rational world just as one of those possibilities is disorderly, unorganized, and irrational. 

We don't hear much about the Chaos Gods of Law anymore; Even in the first edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay where most of the information about Solkan, Arianka, and Alluminas comes from they weren't mentioned all that much. They're in the core rulebook, they're in the Apocrypha Now supplement, and that's about it... I've seen some references and nods over the years, but those might just be Easter Egg in-jokes meant to amuse old grognards like me as much as actual canon.

It is worth noting that worship of the Gods of Law was proscribed in the Empire, Kislev, Tilea, Bretonnia, and Estalia. Although their were secret societies everywhere that did worship them, because of course there were. Solkan cults were very common amongst the Empire's Witch-Hunters, Alluminas was popular amongst Light Wizards, and Arianka had cults in Kislev... In the WH40k universe worship of any of them would be Heresy! But, well, what isn't?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ish said:

In the WH40k universe worship of any of them would be Heresy! But, well, what isn't?

Well, depends if you've concluded that the emperor is actually the incarnation of your deity or not.