Imaginary Space Dinosaurs

I've been thumbing through the various army books and miniatures lines for a few weeks now, because a good friends younger brother started playing AoS, but we don't have much of a community for it around here.  Eventually, he'll get some 40k stuff, beyond the ~500pts of Khorne Daemons he can cross over.  That said, I'm getting into AoS.  Early on, I was leaning towards Everchosen/Slaves to Darkness/Blades of Khorne.  Then I started thinking about armies I could use in both, beyond daemons.  I was considering Wood Elves/Sea Elves for Exodite list building, or Sky Dwarves for a Squat Guard army.  Then, I read the Seraphon codex.  [big bad swear word]ing fat space toads imagining space dinosaurs into existence is amazing. 

At the moment, after reading through the book and GH19, I am considering getting 2 of the Getting Started, 2 Slaan, 2 Space Standards, and Balewind Vortex Endless Spell. 

I do like the imagery of an all giant dino army, though, too.  Is this possible/plausible?  I have read the Basic Rules, but haven't read the BRB, and don't quite get list building, yet.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Strictly speaking, Age of Sigmar defaults to "Open Play" with no formal force organization chart at all. If you own it, you can plop it down on the table. This is fine for totally new players who just want to start playing with whatever toy soldiers they got in their first box or casual friends that just want to muck about with a friendly game, but gets a little nuts when That Guy decides this means he can field 72 Nagash models as an army.

However, since you're an Ordo Fanaticus member, I think its safe to assume you're not a complete newbie at wargaming. So, you're going to want to do things a little bit more advanced than just the entry level. You're going to want the "Matched Play rules," a.k.a. the tournament mode, a.a.k.a. the points system. For that you'll need to buy the most recent iteration of The General's Handbook in addition to your Battle Tome. In a nutshell, Matched Play assigns every unit in the army a point value and a battlefield role. The roles are Leader (roughly equivalent to WH40's HQ and Elite slot), Battleline (Troops), Behemoths (big stompy monsters), and Artillery (the big guns). 

In a standard 2,000 Points game, you'll need at least one Leader (maximum six), at least three Battleline choices (no limit), and can have 0-4 Behemoths and 0-4 Artillery.

It should also be noted that unlike WH40k, it is possible for a unit to belong to two roles simultaneously, for example, the Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur is both a Leader and a Behemoth. He would therefore count as one of your Leader slots and one of your Behemoth slots.

The Bastiladon, Carnosaur, Dread Saurian, Engine of the Gods, Stegadon, and Troglodon are all Behemoths. Those are the biggest, stompiest dinosaurs in the army.

I'm afraid there aren't any big, stompy dinosaurs that count as Battleline. Saurus Knights, however count as Battleline and they're dino-men riding velociraptors. So that's nice.

• Thanks 2

Totally legal list as far as I can see. I'd have to double check the rules to see if you can have duplicates of an Endless Spell, but I'm 90% certain that you can.

I don't know the Seraphon well enough to say if its a good list or a bad one. Generally speaking, AoS tends to favor armies with large Battleline units, but there's certainly a lot of magical power in those two Slann, Carnosaurs are stompy-stompy brutes, and Saurus Knights are punch above their weight for medium cavalry. 

Should be fun, both to play as and play against. That's what really counts.

• Thanks 1

I am not sure where you are at but we have active Age of Sigmar gaming groups that play at Guardian Games on Tuesday Nights at Geeks and Games on Friday nights and at Red Castle Games on Monday nights. You can only use one endless spell in matched play. Also if you use the official app or Battlescribe it will show you how to create a legal matched play list, most people locally play matched play. That being said list building in the game is pretty simple.

• Thanks 1