NO SPOILER Mandalorian Thread

InfestedKerrigan

Wow, first episode is quite a ride.  I heard on a SW vidcast that they used Green Screen and Unreal Engine for the majority of the show.  This had me mildly concerned.  Such worry was unneeded.  Graphics were great.  Tidbits of info provided.  If the MCU shows hold this caliber, D+ is well worth it's cost.

• Like 1

First episode of ‘The Mandolorian’ was pretty good.  Great set design, costuming, special effects, and CGI; great performances from all the principle actors; and a very well-paced plot that keeps you interested in the events of the moment whilst slowly setting the hook(s) for the rest.

Plot is a pretty by the numbers “bounty hunter drifter rolls into town, gets a job no one else can handle, and things go sideways” that was used in countless dime novels, western b-movies, and every other episode of ‘Have Gun Will Travel’ or ‘The Rifleman’. But the classics are classics for a reason and the show does it very well.

I’ll admit I was skeptical and this was only the first episode. But I’m official moving myself all the way from from “watching out of morbid curiosity” to “eagerly awaiting the next episode.”

Four stars out of five.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dark Trainer said:

I still haven't signed up for Disney+. I don't see the value outside the Mandelorian. Needs more that I want to consume.

I was interested due to the service having Marvel Studios and the back-catalogue for Twentieth Century Fox and Fox Searchlight. My kids were interested because they’d have Marvel, Pixar and Disney. So I was going to bite the bullet and sign up... 

But then my cellphone company (Verizon) gave us a free year.

We “cut the cord” back in 2002-03. At first with just DVDs and Netflix-by-mail. We switched to Netflix streaming when that became a thing... We also have had Amazon Prime forever as well, mostly just for the free shipping, so the streaming service is mostly a nice side-effect.

I’ve tried Hulu, off and on, over the years but was never impressed. Gave CBS’s service a go when it was free for a month, binged Star Trek Discovery’s first season (and loathed everything it stood for). Also dabbled with a few others here and there.

In all my years of streaming services, the only two I’ve ever seen fit to keep have been Netflix and Amazon... and I’m not really keeping Amazon because of the streaming video. 

Disney might be worth keeping. I’ve got it free for a year, so it’s definitely going to have a long enough chance to impress me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, andy said:

Has Disney+ got their collective crap together yet? I'd like to go legit...

A few growing pains, as to be expected by the rollout of any massive service... we all know about day one bugs on MMORPGs, right? But nothing any worse than I’ve seen with other streaming services.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, andy said:

The main thing I'm concerned about are login queues. Sounds like that was a launch-week issue. Thanks.

I experienced login issues on the evening of day one and day one only. Didn’t get an error message giving me a specific reason, just the little loading pinwheel spinning and spinning and spinning... 

I just shrugged, chalked it up to the fact that it was prime-time on day one of a much hyped new service and just watched something on Amazon Prime. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

I've been watching it on projectfreetv, but I plan on signing up for D+ when I get home. I DLd pandora for the gym, and saw D+ App for phone so I'll bite.

Are you with Verizon? They're giving all there customers a free year. Hard to say "no" to that price.

• Like 1