How I met Yodalorian: Mando with Spoilers

InfestedKerrigan

That’s a funny way to spell Lone Wolf and Cub... I mean, Star Wars was literally built on a foundation of “serial numbers filed off” remakes of chanbara cinema... So why not go back to that well?

220px-Lone_Wolf_manga.jpg

For those unfamiliar with it, Lone Wolf and Cub was a hugely influential manga that ran from 1970 through 1976. It was also adapted into six feature films and a television series. The first couple of films were hacked together, Robotech-style, into the American flick Shogun Assassin in 1980. (Which would, in turn, be sampled extensively by the Wu-Tang Clan.)

Ogami Itto was the shogun’s executioner. He’s betrayed by the shogun’s rivals and has to go on the run before the evil ninja can kill him too. The twist on the typical “ronin on a roaring rampage of revenge” formula is that he has to bring along his three-year old son.

• Like 4

El Topo came out in 1970... But I think it’s safe to safe that Jodorowsky operates in his own alternate universe that only occasionally overlaps with our own.

But the 1970s was also the same time when Sam Peckinpah was at his height, not to mention guys like Roger Corman, De Palma, Casavetes, Lynch... The whole “New Hollywood” movement that critics of the time loathed. 

I chalk it up to the Baby Boomers coming of age. The end of the post-WWII idylls, the meat-grinders of Korea and Vietnam, stagnation in the European economy, and so forth... But mostly just 20-something film makers wanting to shock and offend their parents.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Romans832 said:

Forgive my ignorance.

Is ALL of Mando out? Or are they slowly releasing the series so that you must keep paying long months just to get all episodes of the season?

It’s $6.99 a month or $69.99 for a full year. Not too bad as streaming services go... Or free for a year right now if you’re with Verizon.

• Thanks 1

Once they get their crap together, I think they are worth getting. They have quite an extensive catalog, but they also have poor security, at the moment.

I watch more hulu than Netflix. 

I watch newer shows on other streaming sites. 

I'll pay for D+ as soon as they get their act together. It is suffering from first gen launch issues. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/22/2019 at 1:59 PM, InfestedKerrigan said:

The commandos, especially. Bro with the gatling gun and jump pack looks WAY better than the primaris version.

There is already a Star Wars Black series of this figure, and Hot Toys has announced they are making the "Heavy Infantry" model as well..

I can only imagine the rubbing of hands together greedily at the idea of the merchandising storm that "Baby Yoda" will create...

• Like 2