How I met Yodalorian: Mando with Spoilers

InfestedKerrigan

1 hour ago, Ish said:

Yeah, so I get that they’re going for a “space western” theme, but they laid it on a bit thick in this episode.

I was expecting one of Adorable Moppets to come running after the wagon shouting “Come back, Shane!” at the end.

On 11/29/2019 at 11:49 AM, InfestedKerrigan said:

Sanctuary: Wherein our anti-hero and his ward travel to Asia only to run into trouble involving a veteran of the civil war, and help rice farmers defend themselves from oppressive Imperialism and the coming machine.

Haaaaaarrrrrrddddddd

• Like 1

Chapter 4 wasn't a bad episode, on its own merits, but it wasn't as good as Chapters 1 through 3...

It felt a little rushed and a bit trope-heavy, since the Seven Samurai Magnificent Seven / High Plains Drifter Blazing Saddles plot of the helpless townsfolk recruiting the wandering-warrior-with-a-mysterious-past to drive off the threat but he ends up training them has been done so many times before. I mean, those four movies all did it, but darn near every Western, Sci-Fi, Action-Adventure, Superhero, Chanbara, and Wuxia television series has done a whole plot reference episode. Hell, it was a Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay module way back in the early Eighties and a Warhammer Fantasy Battles scenario in that game's 5th and 6th Edition. The mind boggles at how many official, unofficial, and home-brew D&D modules used the set-up.

It was a good episode, with a great action sequence at the end, nice character development for the Mando With No Name, and a decent (if a bit wooden) performance from Carino... It just happened to be the follow-up for three extremely strong episodes. Hard to live up to that.

• Like 1

And of course, no discussion of the Magnificent Seven Samurai trope and Star Wars can neglect to mention Battle Beyond the Stars!

MV5BMWJlZjZiNDktMDk2Yi00ZmJhLWJjYjUtMDU4

The spaceship was a flying uterus with tits. The spaceship was intentionally designed to be a flying uterus with tits... God have mercy on our souls.

• Haha 2

Yeah, the pacing of Chapters 1-3 was a little more decompressed. Chapter 4 felt a little too compressed... He should have spent a month or two in the village, so the spark with the widow would feel a bit more organic. Instead, it feels like he spent a three day weekend there.

• Like 1

I really want to like this series. I dig the homages and the costumes and the tie ins and the cameos and the jokes. The main character though... I respect the chutzpah it takes to put your leading man in an immobile steel mask. There is some cinematic history to drawn on. I feel like the writers and director are letting everyone down by not giving an actor with the panache of Pedro Pascal more to work with. Virtually all his dialogue is plot driven exposition delivered with no color. I get that he's a grizzled burnout but this just isn't good writing.  I feel like Star Wars works best when it has lead characters with real magnetism. I think Mark Hamill carried The Last Jedi about as well as he could given it's flaws. Han Solo, even in prequel form makes mediocre cinema fairly entertaining. The prequels, whatever else was wrong with them still had banter,  motivation and pathos. The Mandalorian makes its main guy a mono syllabic straight man. Which has worked from time to time with the right screen presence. Combining this concept with a full body armor and a main sidekick who doesn't speak at all... It's just not much to chew on.  Maybe I'm missing something. 

• Thanks 1

I think Pascal manages to convey quite a lot simply through body language and blocking.  I feel like I can understand the Mando-with-No-Name's emotions/decisions quite clearly despite the mask, just from his line delivery and posture. I find him compelling, and a bit unpredictable, which is what you want in your Space Western Anti-Hero...

Compare and contrast High Plains DriferA Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, or The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Yeah, you can see Clint's face in all of those, but he might as well be wearing a solid steel mask for all the expression Eastwood gives. "The Clint Squint" is about as hard to read as the Mandalore' T-mask. 

We're also only four episodes deep into an eight episode series that will undoubtedly be followed by a second series (and a third... and a fourth...) unless they seriously screw up things. There's just too big a buzz around these series for it not to last for at least another few years. So we should see a lot more character development from the Mando-with-No-Name over the coming years. I'm hoping he never takes his helmet off, although if they pull a minor retcon and introduce a Mandalorian helmet design that allows us to see his mouth, that wouldn't be the worst retcon introduced to the Star Wars setting over the years.

Just fly Karl Urban over from New Zealand to give Pascal some scowling lessons.

Image result for karl urban dredd scowl

• Like 1