GW Brings Back the Old World

This was not the announcement I was expecting, lol. Sounds like it's a long was off, but I'm both excited and cautious of what this will mean (for me anyway). On one hand, I looooved 8th edition fantasy, and was sad to see the Old World go. On the other had, I feel like AoS was the best thing to happen to rank-and-flank gaming, because we got the 9th Age out of it, which fixes a lot of issues I had with WHFB.

I guess we'll have to see how the rules look when they come up!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ish said:

I thought WHFB 8th Edition was the best edition of any I’d played (which spans 4th through 8th). It needed some tweaking to buff heavy cavalry and to dial back the potency of spellcasters... But it was just about ideal for what it was.

I only played 8th edition, but I did love it. I do miss the old world, but I do not miss seeing people 6 dice "I win" spells (as an Ogre player, I always had to worry that a Purple Sun / Pit of Shades was going to lose me the game in 1 magic phase), and I don't miss how bad the army book creep was.

BUT, if I was to bet money I would think that these "Old World" rules will have in common with AoS than WHFB, as far as game mechanics. 

25 minutes ago, Ish said:

I thought WHFB 8th Edition was the best edition of any I’d played (which spans 4th through 8th). It needed some tweaking to buff heavy cavalry and to dial back the potency of spellcasters... But it was just about ideal for what it was.

Don't neuter my Dark Elf Sorceress! I CURSE YOU!! 🤣

I have to admit, as a MINOR WHFB player who really mostly played 40k, i'm intrigued that my Dark Elf army might see use again!!! AOS, never played, especially since the dark elves dissolved into weird side factions.

• Haha 1

Just now, paxmiles said:

I wonder how long until GW starts sending Cease and Desist notices to The 9th Age, Kings of War, and the like....

They had already sent something to that effect to 9th Age, but it has been resolved with some modifications to the 9th Age rules and lore (one of the reasons for splitting up Chaos into 8 gods instead of 4), so won't be an issue going forward.

4 minutes ago, Dark Trainer said:

I have to admit, as a MINOR WHFB player who really mostly played 40k, i'm intrigued that my Dark Elf army might see use again!!! AOS, never played, especially since the dark elves dissolved into weird side factions.

I mean, I know a cool rank-and-flank game that will let you play your elves today instead of in 3 years...😎😁

3 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

I wonder how long until GW starts sending Cease and Desist notices to The 9th Age, Kings of War, and the like....

Kings of War was around at the same time as WFB, and 9th Age uses different names for everything to avoid IP violations. 

So they'll served them right after McDonald's wins a case against Burger King for having similar food. 

1 minute ago, Andrewgeddon said:

I thought AoM used round bases? Or does it ranks / flanks / fixed vision and movement and I'm thinking of something else?

I’m mostly just throwing some shade at the “competition” on behalf of my favorite wargame (that I never get to play).

Saga doesn’t actually care about the shape of the bases, rounds or squares are acceptable.

It’s not really a “rank and flank” game in the way WHFB/T9A/KoW are since most units don’t actually need to move or fight in squares (although Scots, Anglo-Saxons, and Crusaders often will due to their rules). But it’s also completely miniature brand agnostic, so all those old WHFB armies sitting on peoples shelves could be used for Saga.

1 minute ago, Ish said:

I’m mostly just throwing some shade at the “competition” on behalf of my favorite wargame (that I never get to play).

Saga doesn’t actually care about the shape of the bases, rounds or squares are acceptable.

It’s not really a “rank and flank” game in the way WHFB/T9A/KoW are since most units don’t actually need to move or fight in squares (although Scots, Anglo-Saxons, and Crusaders often will due to their rules). But it’s also completely miniature brand agnostic, so all those old WHFB armies sitting on peoples shelves could be used for Saga.

Got it!

Well, 9th Age also lets you use any miniatures you want, so my original comment stands! I mean, without true "ranks-and-flanks," how am I supposed to spend hours adjusting points to make sure my 6x5 movement tray has exactly 30 models in it??? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Got it!

Well, 9th Age also lets you use any miniatures you want, so my original comment stands! I mean, without true "ranks-and-flanks," how am I supposed to spend hours adjusting points to make sure my 6x5 movement tray has exactly 30 models in it??? 

My god, it drove me nuts when GW would create unit points values that weren’t multiples of five.

”@&$% it! I want a 2,000 point army, not a 1,996 point army... But if I add a musician to this unit, it’s gonna be 2,001 points. @$&#%€£¥!!!”

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Of course, for truly epic "rank and flank" gameplay, we should all switch over to something like 6 mm scale. You can fit about 5-6 infantrymen on a 25 x 25 mm sized base... and they cost pennies.  

6mm100YWENG.jpg

The above army costs about $30

6mmme9.jpg

There's over 2200 infantry above. It would cost about $200.

• Like 1

There was a Saga: Age of Vikings blog a few years back that did up two whole Saga armies -- Normans and Anglo-Saxons, IIRC -- using 6 mm figures. Played the game exactly as normally written, but with six 6 mm infantry figures on each base instead of one 32 mm figure. I think he used four cavalry figures to a base, but it might have just been three. Anyhow, playing the game exactly as normal these "micro units" just counted as one dude in the rules, so a unit of twelve spearmen (per the rules) was actually 72 men on the table. 

Looked freaking fantastic!

I've been telling myself I should order a 6 mm Saracen army and a 6 mm Crusader army and due up a proper Saga: Age of Crusades version of the same idea. 

42 minutes ago, Ish said:

Of course, for truly epic "rank and flank" gameplay, we should all switch over to something like 6 mm scale. You can fit about 5-6 infantrymen on a 25 x 25 mm sized base... and they cost pennies.  

6mm100YWENG.jpg

The above army costs about $30

6mmme9.jpg

There's over 2200 infantry above. It would cost about $200.

There's a pretty big community that does "minihammer," using 9th Age / KoW / WHFB but playing it at half the size (10mm). I keep telling myself I'm going to get into it, but I have yet to pull the trigger.

https://www.the-ninth-age.com/community/index.php?thread/23978-minihammer-10mm-portable-adventures-in-the-ninth-age/&pageNo=1