Who is planning on buying the new Sisters army?

Brother Glacius

I have made some critical analysis of this codex.  I was at first a little conflicted about where certain units belong, and was QUITE upset about a couple of changes.  but after thinking through what they did here, they may have actually made the Dominions better and FAR more inexpensive to deliver.

At first I was quite upset that they had taken away the Vanguard ability from the tank they occupy.  But then it struck me that they don't NEED the expense of the tank any longer.  They can already get there.

In the best of scenarios you were (assuming 1st turn), Jetting the Rhino forward, then dropping them out 9" an firing at juice range.  Now you can't.  Big time bummer on initial read.

What you CAN do however which you couldn't do before, is Advance one with high reliability 12" (9.5 for the rest), and then advance them an average of....  9.5 inches on your turn.  This places them JUST as close as  before if not closer.  Certainly in juice range.  5 meltas ready to party.

...and without the expense of the Rhino.

It just requires that they be in their own Argent Shroud Detachment.  So if you like Dominions and bringing the pain to the enemy doorstep early and often, you totes can.  Saweeeet.

Five Dominions with storm bolters (and maybe a sixth with an Simulacrum throwing a krak grenade) using the Blessed Bolts stratagem are absolutely bonkers against Primaris Marines: Rapid Fire 2, Strength 4, AP -2, Damage 2... 

We’re talking pseudo-Plasmaguns here. 

15 minutes ago, Ish said:

Five Dominions with storm bolters (and maybe a sixth with an Simulacrum throwing a krak grenade) using the Blessed Bolts stratagem are absolutely bonkers against Primaris Marines: Rapid Fire 2, Strength 4, AP -2, Damage 2... 

We’re talking pseudo-Plasmaguns here. 

That was already a thing though.  That was last codex too.

On 12/14/2019 at 10:36 PM, Ish said:

Well, it’s new to me.

Ah.  Well the old codex was good once I figured it out.  I never used the Storm-bolter trick although I have the models to do it (for one unit).  

There are numerous other new things though.  Totally new models which I think is an awesome move.  But one thing that was a BIIIIG change and i cannot believe I'm even saying it but Celestians are actually worth taking.  I mean in the general sense they are better and ACTUALLY worthwhile, but also, they are especially valuable as bodyguards in Ebon Chalice Detachments.

Sisters Repentia are also improved for sure, especially as Bloody Rose.  They get -4 Primaris killing swords.  Lot of attacks and  as before, they can do the whole "kill us and we'll make you pay" stratagem.

A weird thing is that the version of Retributors you want ot take sort of decides which faction to put them in.  HB Rets go in Valorous Heart (Sacred is also good actually), heavy Flamers in Ebon Chalice, Multimelta Retributors (which look fantastic) in Argent Shroud and so on.

So they kept most of the good from the preious codex, and mixed it into a legit codex of its own.  Sacred Rites add to everything.  I dont like the "three layers of garbage to track" thing all the codex's are veering towards, but I mean...what can you do?  It takes a little more effort to figure out how best to deploy it all.

It's a fun puzze for me so Im enjoying the noodling.  Of course.

• Thanks 1

Well I know there are at least two players who are normally there.  Pretre and Frowbaak.  So i imagine they will be encouraged to do it, one assumes.  

My real curiosity is to see the new crop of such players.  I think they did the range justice here and they will look great on shelves, on tabletops, and just about everywhere they can be viewed or played.  but most of all:  the winners circle.  I really want to see that.  OFCC isnt exactly the best place to be noticed for that, but it would still be pretty cool if it happened.  A few Sister tournamnet wins would do my heart good, on principle alone.

I'm STILL trying to figure out a way to get Immolator Spam to work.

Trying to re-live the Witch Hunters glory days...

However 2 Exorcists, 2 Repressors and 4 Immolators across 2 Battalions doesn't really reach the threat saturation/target priority confusion  level the historical list had at 11 Immolators.

So back to the drawing board, I guess.

22 hours ago, Lord Hanaur said:

Well I know there are at least two players who are normally there.  Pretre and Frowbaak.  So i imagine they will be encouraged to do it, one assumes.  

My real curiosity is to see the new crop of such players.  I think they did the range justice here and they will look great on shelves, on tabletops, and just about everywhere they can be viewed or played.  but most of all:  the winners circle.  I really want to see that.  OFCC isnt exactly the best place to be noticed for that, but it would still be pretty cool if it happened.  A few Sister tournamnet wins would do my heart good, on principle alone.

That's why I'm looking forward to OFCC. I want to see the awesome themes and narratives people come up with for their forces, instead of netlisting FTW. I have had the awesome luck of playing the most awesome narrative driven games ever at OFCC. 😄

On 12/18/2019 at 1:46 PM, Sugarlessllama said:

I have had the awesome luck of playing the most awesome narrative driven games ever at OFCC. 😄

Well I am glad to hear it.  As for the Sisters and their new representation, any guesses on what it will be like?  Dare to dream, could we see like ten players using them?  Would that be a reasonable goal?