Gold Coin basing?

Like lair of Smaug or Scrouge McDuck's vault, suggestions please on how to base thousands of coins onto a model's base?

Got a model, the Miser of Sululag, for The 9th Age, who is supposed to be a Greater Daemon of Greed and who's "evil" realm is supposed to be littered with coins of every currency. Was thinking it would look pretty cool to go with coin basing for that model.

Head to a craft store of your choosing (JoAnn Fabrics, Hobby Lobby, Wal-Mart) and buy a tub of gold glitter, ideally with large-ish circular flakes. Also buy a baggy of small translucent beads in various colors, ideally in polyhedral shapes and not just spheres.

Mix up a container of glitter and beads, you want a lot more glitter than beads. Hard to give an exact ratio... Eyeball it.

Use foam, cork, putty, or whatever you want to make the foundation pile.

Cover that with PVA glue.

Pour your mix of gold glitter and tiny beads onto that, like you would if you were flocking with static grass. Pour off excess. Allow to dry.

Consider adding a sepia wash to some of the gold coins if needed.

Spray the whole thing with matte varnish / sealant of your choice.

Brush a gloss varnish on the treasure pile to bring the shine back to the treasure.

You can also toss a few other bitz from the bitz box in there — swords, scrolls, chests, skulls, whatever.

image.jpeg.2e15ecefe2958a1ab5f6ea4d8f730579.jpeg

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

hmm...oh, I forgot that Lego made Gold Coins. That could be fun. I wonder if I can get enough of them affordably...

They come four to a sprue and individual sprues seem to be selling for about $1 on average over on BrickLink... But you'd need to buy a lot of them to cover even a modest sized base, since they're only about 6-7 mm in diameter as they're slightly smaller than a single Lego brick (a one stud Lego brick is 8 mm wide x 8 mm deep x 9.6 [or 11.2] mm tall [depending if you measure to the top of the stud or not] in size). 

He's got some serious warping problems with his corrugated cardstock bases on those piles, better to use basing material that won't curl... I like to use good old fashioned Citadel slotta bases. They fit nicely in a D&D-style dungeon-crawl map grid, you can label their under sides easily enough ("Pile A contains the Dagger of Tooth-Decay +3, Pile B contains the Scroll of Summon Really Tasty Donuts).

• Like 2

Was reading a similar thread as to this one on Cool mini or not, and they suggest using a sharp knife and a "sausage" of putty for the "outer" coins, and then use press mold green stuff for piles.

That or the lego route, I'm thinking that no matter which, I'm probably better off just buying that Mantic Terrain Crate set - they really do look quite good.

Or I could just ditch the whole thing and save money...lol

22 hours ago, Ish said:

Glitter and Elmer’s Glue will run you less than $5 at Wal-Mart, but give you enough to cover a 5’ x 5’ table, let alone a few bases.

No offense, but I just don't like how it looks. Glitter, in general, really bugs me.

It's otherwise a good suggestion.

12 hours ago, Sgt. Rock said:

Glitter is craft herpes. Once you open that bottle, your children's children will be finding tiny sparkles for years to come.

Wouldn't be surprised if all cancer is caused by glitter getting in your system...

Started looking up the effects of eating glitter....Apparently Etsy has been selling "glitter pills" to make sparkly poop. It got rather newsworthy a few years back and they now have little legal disclaimers about them being intended as gag gifts, not as actual pills.

FDA says not to swallow them, but also neglects to mention what will happen if you do so.

🤣 Lol

image.png.2faf5a7b95bb0f2e1dd12dc1dbcfaa44.png