Punch it, Kid! Rise of Skywalker with Spoilers

InfestedKerrigan

I think the movie is like an 8/10 until the scene where they battle at the ruined death star, then after that it quickly falls to like a 3/10 for an overall 5.5/10. 

There was just so much retconning of the last movie, and the ending scenes just didn't make sense. 

Everything about palpatines fleet was bad. 

Why the heck did Rey and Ben kiss? What? 

Also isn't returning someone to life with the force an evil act? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just left the theater. I am terribly underwhelmed.

It was not a bad film. The acting was good, the design was good, the music was average (which is weirdly disappointing from John Williams), the special effects and computer graphics were top notch... The script was good. Not great, but good.

The problem was I felt like I was watching one of a thousand fan-films or reading one of a million fan-fics of how people wanted it to end. It was paint by numbers. It was... safe.

The Last Jedi teased us with hints that the Star Wars universe might be more than a Black versus White story of One Big Screwed Up Family of angst-riddden space wizards. Instead, we learn it’s a Black versus White story of Two Big Screwed Up Families of angst-riddden space wizards.

It was good. It wasn’t bad. It wasn’t great. It just... was. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, generalripphook said:

Also isn't returning someone to life with the force an evil act? 

No? Or maybe yes, but it seems odd to have qualms about a dark side force user doing something evil. If you want to argue that Kylo bringing Rey back was evil, you've got to at least admit it was the least evil of all the evil things he did.

• Thanks 1

"I like this movie about as much as it's possible to like a movie with a two-star rating. Given its materials, it couldn't have been much better, but it's every bit as good as it is, if you see what I mean. Once you realize it's only going to be so good, you settle back and enjoy that modest degree of goodness, which is at least not badness, and besides, if you're watching Rush Hour 3, you obviously didn't have anything better to do, anyway... If you are trapped in a rainstorm in front of a theater playing this picture, by all means go right in. You won't have a bad time, will feel affectionate toward [the main characters] Lee and Carter, and stay dry."

— Roger Ebert, review of Rush Hour 3

This sums up my feelings of the adequacy of this film's adequate nature quite adequately.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"I like this movie about as much as it's possible to like a movie with a two-star rating. Given its materials, it couldn't have been much better, but it's every bit as good as it is, if you see what I mean. Once you realize it's only going to be so good, you settle back and enjoy that modest degree of goodness, which is at least not badness, and besides, if you're watching Star Wars 9, you obviously didn't have anything better to do, anyway... If you are trapped in a rainstorm in front of a theater playing this picture, by all means go right in. You won't have a bad time, will feel affectionate toward [the main characters] Rei and Ben, and stay dry.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 3:14 PM, Munkie said:

No? Or maybe yes, but it seems odd to have qualms about a dark side force user doing something evil. If you want to argue that Kylo bringing Rey back was evil, you've got to at least admit it was the least evil of all the evil things he did.

Well what I mean is there is a pattern that only good force users dissapear into the force, and if his last act was evil why did he dissapear. 

The intent of the filmmaker is that Ben Skywalker redeemed himself by aiding Rey in her defeat of Palpatine. Because despite The Last Jedi and the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons hinting that there might be something more to the Force than mere Black Versus White, they decided to scuttle all of that with The Rise of Skywalker. Palpatine is Bad, Rey is Good. Helping Rey stop the Bad Man makes Kylo a Good Man. Jedi is Good, Sith is Bad, Nuance is Nonexistent.

Honestly, the friggin' G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero cartoon of the early Eighties had more complicated ethical philosophy than The Rise of Skywalker and the bad guys there were literally called "Cobra: The Enemy" on the toy packaging.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

il_340x270.1989458878_jp3e.jpg?version=0

"No being can wield that kind of power [that the Jedi Order does] for centuries without becoming complacent at best or corrupt at worst. He has no idea that it's overtaken him; he no longer sees all the little cumulative evils that the Republic tolerates and fosters, from slavery to endless wars, and he never asks, 'Why are we not acting to stop this?' Live alongside corruption for too long, and you no longer notice the stench." ―Count Dooku

• Like 2

On 12/28/2019 at 4:21 PM, Ish said:

The intent of the filmmaker is that Ben Skywalker redeemed himself by aiding Rey in her defeat of Palpatine. Because despite The Last Jedi and the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons hinting that there might be something more to the Force than mere Black Versus White, they decided to scuttle all of that with The Rise of Skywalker. Palpatine is Bad, Rey is Good. Helping Rey stop the Bad Man makes Kylo a Good Man. Jedi is Good, Sith is Bad, Nuance is Nonexistent.

I think the biggest mistake Disney made with the new movies is they tried to please everyone and spent way too much time listening to Star Wars fans.

I understood making TFA a safe nostalgia piece. It's a way of assuring everyone that this will not be another prequel trilogy. A way to convince people to buy back in.

The general Star Wars fan consensus: too similar to the OT!

So they switched to Ryan Johnson from Abrams and he really tried to take it in a new direction. The film had flaws, but I respected his intent and desire to break away from the Sith/Jedi/balance cycle (sounds like a washing machine).

The general Star Wars fan consensus: too different! 

So they switched back to J.J. Abrams to have him wrap it up in a nice and safe way.

The general Star Wars fan consensus: too "meh"!

Rather than having a clear vision from the outset and executing on that, they changed their vision after every movie based on the endless whinging of nerds (no offense, nerds). They should've just stuck to their (laser)guns and stayed the course. If people don't like it, fine. But at least the movie makers could be proud of their artistic integrity, and the people who do like it would feel like they watched a cohesive story rather than a desperate Goldilocks process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That’s why The Last Jedi and Rogue One are by far my favorite films of the Disney era. They gave us something new, something to be excited by, and they took risks. Even if Solo was a strictly formula heist movie with a deus ex machina ending, it was at least innovative compared to the rest of the franchise:

A New Hope, Return of the Jedi, The Phantom Menace, The Force Awakens, and The Rise of Skywalker all follow the same sequence: set-piece battle the heroes loose, rescue mission / fetch quest, duel between space-wizards played against backdrop battle where the rest of the heroes try to stop the big doomsday weapon.(TPM used a single battleship and TROS used a fleet of cruisers, but for  the same exact narrative purpose.)

Let’s not even get started on the number of spin-off works that follow this formula.

At a certain point, this stopped being a clever call-back and started being masturbatory.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I went and saw it last night. I thought it was fine. Far from my favorite SW film, but definitely not my least. Considering the high degree of difficulty (trying to please all the different camps now in the fandom) I think J.J. did alright despite some very odd decisions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1