Punch it, Kid! Rise of Skywalker with Spoilers

InfestedKerrigan

On 12/30/2019 at 8:58 AM, DisruptiveConduct said:

i never felt any tension base between them other than thru the force. it just came out of left field and seemed like a forced romeo and juliet moment, which it was def not.

I feel there was sexual tension subtext in the first two films between them.  I found the method distasteful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

I feel there was sexual tension subtext in the first two films between them.  I found the method distasteful.

I thought the whole romantic sub-plot of the film(s) was weird, especially given Finn's desire to tell Rey "something" and never getting the chance. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, andy said:

I thought the whole romantic sub-plot of the film(s) was weird, especially given Finn's desire to tell Rey "something" and never getting the chance. 

I couldn't decide if Finn was gonna try to get with Rey or with Poe.  It was like they left everything between everyone with a level of sexual tension (when perhaps it was supposed to portray the concern for a sibling), and the result is middle school romance and bad fanfics.  I guess if everything is left ambiguous, it pleases everyone.

• Like 1

Supposedly, the “something” Finn wanted to tell Rey is that he, too, was Force sensitive. How the &$%# he knew that and how the %#$& the audience was supposed to pick up on that implication I do not know...

The Rey / Kylo romance never seemed to be reciprocal to me. I always kind of felt a bit of a longing from Kylo towards Rey, but in a creepy possessive stalker way... The only emotional towards Kylo I ever felt from Rey was odium. Until TROS* decided to strangle her with the red string.

Still better romantic chemistry than Padme and Anakin.

*I wonder if it was supposed to follow the same R-word of the S-word format as the last films in the other two trilogies until someone noticed that would give us ROTS...?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ish said:

The Rey / Kylo romance never seemed to be reciprocal to me. I always kind of felt a bit of a longing from Kylo towards Rey, but in a creepy possessive stalker way... The only emotional towards Kylo I ever felt from Rey was odium. Until TROS* decided to strangle her with the red string.

This.  

1 minute ago, Ish said:

Still better romantic chemistry than Padme and Anakin.

Did someone mention Grooming?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ish said:

Supposedly, the “something” Finn wanted to tell Rey is that he, too, was Force sensitive. How the &$%# he knew that and how the %#$& the audience was supposed to pick up on that implication I do not know...

Hunh. I didn't get that read at all. Not saying you're wrong, just that it went completely over my head. Chalk it up as another odd creative decision.

I’m just repeating something I read that said J.J. Abrams said that was the intent of the scene. I make no claim to it’s validity at all...

I sure felt like a “I always wanted to say I love you!” moment to me... Which also wouldn’t have made much sense, since those two characters spent like twelve minutes on screen together across the first two films. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 2

We just finished, really liked the movie, can't honestly disagree with what any of you said, so many bizarre decisions leading to so many questions.

I'm happy to find they did "clone" Palpatine instead of magically making him survive. Though draining everyone's life force seems bizarre and over the top.

Lots pointed this feels like a sick fan fic. I don't think you're far off.

Disney told us "screw your canon & fan fic, we're doing what we want". And they did. They stole from canon and all the fan fics and made a bastardization called Disney's fan fic.
It's just more chaotic than the canon & fan fic.

OK, so Palpatine wasn't cloned?? https://www.indiewire.com/2020/01/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-cut-explaining-palpatine-return-1202200307/

• Like 1

It’s always been my policy, when doing something like a Star Wars RPG or something where my friends and I are making up our own stories in the galaxy far, far, away to basically just say: “Okay, so everything that happened in A New Hope happened. That’s it. It’s now a month after the Battle of Yavin and you’re all sitting around in your favorite cantina...”

I figure 99.999% of the human race has seen A New Hope. The two guys who wandered out of their isolated Himalayan village and to my gaming table can binge watch it later that night... And since only one movie “counts,” we can avoid the endless Nerd Herd head-butting as geeks challenge geeks to see who knows more obscure “canon” than the other.

The Disney films have given me no reason to change my mind about this practice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Ewan McGregor's uncle.  It was so cool of them to swing that for Ewan.  Disney is so awesome!

Ewan McGregor is Denis Lawson‘s nephew. It was so cool of them to cast him as young Obi-Wan. LucasFilm is awesome!

(Fixed it for you.)

• Thanks 1
  • Poop 1

Just now, Romans832 said:

Original actor?

The one and only.

Because he’s the only pilot in the gorram universe that has two Death Star silhouettes on the side of his X-Wing. So there was no way they were going to leave him out of the final battle.

Wedge was originally going to appear in The Force Awakens but couldn’t due to scheduling conflicts, so they just decided to say Wedge was there in one of the Visual Dictionary merch books. They also had him do some ADR radio chatter for Rogue One, but he doesn’t show up on screen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ll never pass up a chance to talk about how awesome Wedge Antilles is... Only other person to survive Rogue Squadron’s attack on the Death Star was Luke Plotarmour Skywalker.

Denis Lawson is pretty awesome himself. In addition to being Scottish (an automatic signifier of awesomeness), he was in the lead in the phenomenal BBC adaptation of Charles Dickens’ Bleak House. He also had memorable one-off appearances in two of my favorite series: Hornblower and Death in Paradise

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1