Punch it, Kid! Rise of Skywalker with Spoilers

InfestedKerrigan

There’s as much romantic chemistry between Poe and Finn as between any other two characters* picked at random from the sequel trilogy.

You could tell me that Finn was supposed to have a burning passion for the random Stormtrooper that shouted “Traitor!” at him and I’d believe it.

* Excepting Han/Leia and Artoo/Threepio.

• Haha 1

So I went and saw it a second time, and honestly, it didn't help. There are just some really stupid moments in the movie and other things that feel off. Overall, it isn't a horrible movie or a dud. It is probably the best out of the last three films...but that isn't saying much compared to the rest. For whatever reason, the bad stuff seems to stand out compared to the good stuff...so when I think of the movie, I think of what's wrong with it..not what was good. That's probably the best indicator I can give for the flick as a whole. 😞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds far-fetched to me. I’m going to invoke Hanlon’s Razor: “Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.”

Based on the rest of J.J. Abrams’ body of work, I strongly suspect he’s phenomenal at coming up with ideas, but distractible and lacking follow-through. He kinda reminds me of me honestly, I’ve got terabytes of half-finished campaign settings, adventure ideas, comic book scripts, even a screenplay. Not to mention enough half-painted miniatures to fill in the Grand Canyon... I call it “Gamer A.D.D.” and I think Abrams has it too.

Only I’m working with $5 bucks worth of foam board and hot-glue from Hobby Lobby; He’s got $5 gajillion bucks and sound-stages on five continents.

Abrams seems to be at his best when only doing ONE film or ONE season of a show. Not bigger, multi-year projects.

They needed one screenwriter (or a screenwriting pair) to write all three films, they really needed a competent executive producer to over see it.

They needed a Kevin Feige. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/9/2020 at 7:38 AM, Brother Glacius said:

So I went and saw it a second time, and honestly, it didn't help. There are just some really stupid moments in the movie and other things that feel off. Overall, it isn't a horrible movie or a dud. It is probably the best out of the last three films...but that isn't saying much compared to the rest. For whatever reason, the bad stuff seems to stand out compared to the good stuff...so when I think of the movie, I think of what's wrong with it..not what was good. That's probably the best indicator I can give for the flick as a whole. 😞

This!! The final trilogy was a pile of [big bad swear word], the last at least ended it decently. All 3 movies were not a Lucas envisioned story.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dark Trainer said:

All 3 movies were not a Lucas envisioned story.

Judging by what I've read online, that's not a bad thing. Every time I hear what Lucas had in mind for the final trilogy (The Whills, Midiclorians, Fantastic Voyage-style adventures in a miniaturized Force realm) I count my lucky stars we ended up where we did. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, andy said:

Judging by what I've read online, that's not a bad thing. Every time I hear what Lucas had in mind for the final trilogy (The Whills, Midiclorians, Fantastic Voyage-style adventures in a miniaturized Force realm) I count my lucky stars we ended up where we did. 

What do you have against Avengers End Game?

• Haha 2

Finally saw it tonight. I thought it was fine. It had all the stiff acting, implausible plot twists and explosions I look for in a space opera. 

I liked all the backhanded two-word plot reveals. I hope that was an intentional joke. Also the awkwardly long close ups on Adam Drivers sweaty face. Did he have sith flu? 

My sneaking suspicion is that these movies are made to be intentionally ridiculous. First because that's fundamental to the genre. Look up the comic book titles referenced by Lucas if you doubt that. These plots were never supposed to be coherent. But also because nerd outrage is an important part of the experience. JJ Abrams especially has injected this into the meta of previous projects already. He knows what will piss stars wars scholars off. He's seen The Simpsons. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1