Getting started

Inquisitor66

Ten to twelve models is usually "good enough," but I tend to like about fifteen to twenty so I can have one or two models with special gear.

A Corpse Grinder Cult must have one Leader (Butcher), may only ever have a maximum of three Champions (Cutters), and the total number of Juves (Initiates) must always be equal to or higher than the number of Gangers (Skinners) in the gang.

So, assuming you take the mandatory Butcher and all three Cutters that's 400 Credits before you buy their starting gear; Depending on how you load them out, these four blokes could easily eat up 50% or more of your starting budget. You'll also want a handful of Skinners and Initiates too. 

The dark uprising box comes with 15 models, 6 initiates (juves) and 9 champ/skinners. 

that should be plenty for the bulk of a campaign

any variety of khorne berserkers, blood sworn muscle dudes, etc, would work very well if you don’t want to get ahold of the corpse grinders   

You could convert a few initiates to have some of the (very limited )ranged options (basic pistols, flamer, heavy flamer or harpoon launcher)  which would definitely drive cost up as well.

if anybody wants assistance in getting access to any of the rulebooks, shoot me a message, and I should be able to help sort something out. 

Do I need to start with 3 cutters? Could I hff have 1 or 2 and then buy the 3rd later? Or is there s disadvantage to buying a cutter mid campaign?

I am guessing that a butcher 1 or 2 cutters 3 skinners and 3 initiate models would suffice for the first 2 missions.  About how many models should I expect to field early on?

You can start with as few or as many as you want, up to the maximum. I just tend to favor buying Champions during the pregame, since they're the most expensive members of the gang (apart from the Leader) and tend to carry expensive gear (since they've got the stats and skills to use them). It's like Blood Bowl, basic Linemen are cheap and unlimited, the better Blitzers and other positional players cost more... and you've got no way to accurately predict what your future earnings will be.

It's also worth noting that most missions (not all, but most) will have caps on how many gangers you can bring. So if you're willing to let one model represent two (or more) gangers, you can have one miniature do double duty. 

Go sign up for Yak Tribe and play around with their Underhive Tools > Create A Gang app. Throw various builds at it and see what looks fun... Even if you haven't read all the rules for Necromunda (and I admit I've done mostly just a skim of them) they're generally similar enough to GW's others games that you should get the gist of it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Inquisitor66 said:

Do I need to start with 3 cutters? Could I hff have 1 or 2 and then buy the 3rd later? Or is there s disadvantage to buying a cutter mid campaign?

I am guessing that a butcher 1 or 2 cutters 3 skinners and 3 initiate models would suffice for the first 2 missions.  About how many models should I expect to field early on?

1 butcher is the only requirement.   All of the house gangs are limited in only being able to start with 2 champions, so 2 cutters would feel pretty right.  

15 hours ago, Ish said:

It's also worth noting that most missions (not all, but most) will have caps on how many gangers you can bring. So if you're willing to let one model represent two (or more) gangers, you can have one miniature do double duty. 

Oh, so an entire gang won't necessarily be on the table every game?