Fluger Games Day 5/31

fluger

I wonder how many of us will have the 7th edition rules?

I should have a physical set. Not promising till it is in hand but I do have a pre order in at the local shop.

Fluger, I have three of the frontline/table war mats. Want me to bring them all? Two are urban combat one is blast zone.

Please do!

If Crono can make it, he's bringing a desert one, which works for the terrain I have at my house.  

Those are just incredible mats.  I love them so much.

Me too! Glad that kickstarter was running when I was planning an apoc game. I got the three to be able to make an apoc table. Put them out in an I formation with the blast zone between them and it makes a nice little narrative no man's land about to be fought across.

• Like 1

I'd say 2k.  Because that's what I like.  

Bring as much as you feel comfortable with.

I think we're only going to have about 8 or 9 folks (could really use another head count), and I have 3 tables and terrain for 2.5 tables.  If you bring 2 or 3, we'll be super set.  

OK, so headcount as of now.

Me

PourSpelur

Koyote

VonVilkee

TW_Haines

crono (maybe)

chaosgerbil (maybe)

Noswal (leaving early)

Pumpkinhead and Romans (coming by later after match)

That's 6-8 at the start (noon), and maybe 7-9 at the end.

Sounds about right.

If anyone else is interested in coming by, please let me know!  :D  

• Like 1

That would be great.  

Again, to recap.  

Lunch is a free for all so pick something up on your way in.

Dinner I'm providing beef brisket and buns.  

Soda/Chips/Veggies are all welcome to share.  I'm not REQUIRING anyone to bring anything, but it is always welcome.  

I have some Jack Daniels to share, and if you want to bring anything of the like, feel free as well.  

Well, while not as many people showed up, I got two games in yesterday to ring in 7th edition.  Here are my thoughts:  

1.  Maelstrom cards.  Totally dig them now.  I can see the inherent imbalance POTENTIAL that exists in them, but it'll just be a list-building strategy now.  I DO think there should be a house rule to discard and re-draw IMPOSSIBLE cards.  For instance the kill the flyer or kill a building when there are none on table.  Outside of that, I didn't feel like they were too heavily weighted one way or the other.  

2.  Vehicles.  WAAAY tougher to take out now with the new rules.  I'm going to keep my basilisks for a while, but they are on the chopping block for sure.  AP2/AP1 or LOTS of shots is totally the way to go.  When it dawned on me that my basilisks have only a slim chance of knocking out a rhino with their combined fire, I got a sad face.  :(  Conversely, my artillery was much more survivable than it has EVER been.  I didn't lose both Leman Russes in both my games and I never lost a single basilisk.  Very interesting.

3.  Psychic powers.  I'm definitely leaving the inquisitor in my list and letting him do his thing.  While Prescience wasn't a given like normal, it went off enough to justify it.  I also dithered around with picking powers from other trees as well.  In both games it was one psyker vs one psyker and I felt that the phase was reasonable and interesting.  Additionally, we kinda hashed out how a summoning Tzeentch horde really isn't all that bad mostly based on VonVilkee's Discovery.  Essentially if a Tzeentch horde is putting all it's efforts into summoning, it isn't doing any damage and should be sustaining heavy casualties.  I'm less concerned about psychic proliferation.  Not sure how that plays out for other psychic heavy forces, but I feel like the balance is better now that I've seen it in action.  

4.  SHANTIES!  We ended up making a couple modifications pre game.  We dropped them to HP5 and the battlements only grant a 5+ save rather than a 4+ as normal.  In both games lots of buildings were wrecked and in my second game where my opponent spent time in and around buildings, my ordnance actually LEVELLED/REMOVED two buildings.  That was cool.  Also, we discovered some weird problems with buildings.  For instance, if a building gets taken over, then it is an enemy building for your opponent.  Since one can't move within 1" of an enemy model, then can they not get up on the battlements?  I thought there would be a special rule allowing this, but we couldn't find any.  Also, staying 1" away from an empty building felt weird.  I think I'm going to house rule that the 1" rule is ignored for buildings because that is cleaner.  

5.  Overall, a great day of gaming if not as populated as I would've liked.  

• Like 2

Buildings are not units. So the one ibch doesnt apply, i beleive.

You are wrong.

Claiming Buildings
To keep track of which side
currently controls a building, we
use the concept of ‘claiming’
buildings (or, if you prefer, planting
your flag).
• At the start of the game, all
buildings that were taken as part
of a player’s army are ‘claimed’
by the owning player, whilst all
other buildings are ‘unclaimed’.
• A claimed building is a unit
in the controlling player’s
army and will remain so, even if it
later becomes unoccupied, until
the building is either destroyed or
claimed by an enemy.
• If a unit enters a building,
they immediately capture and
claim that building, and it
becomes part of that unit’s side
until the building is either
destroyed, or an enemy unit reenters
it (and therefore re-claims
it).
All claimed buildings have the
Sentry Defence System special
rule.
Sentry
Defence
A building with this
special rule can use
automated fire against
enemy units, even if it is
unoccupied. In addition,
enemy units can shoot at
and charge a building
with this special rule,
even if it is unoccupied.

Having not played, only based on what's been said, I think the 1" rule on claimed buildings is a great addition. Just because you know the building is empty, your troops don't. Unless they are getting ready to bust inside and claim it for themselves, they're skirting around it, keeping distance to avoid protected fire coming from within. That's pretty rad.

• Like 1

7th edition is so cool. Just did my blog post on it. My schedule has been crammed but finally got er done. I think people who rage quit for whatever reasons they felt justified in doing so might come back. I hope so. Lot of cool dudes playing this game at points. Love to see it get back to maybe... 60% or so of what it was. No way you can please a guy thats just DECIDED to be angry. Cooler heads might saunter back though.