WarCry Counts As Factions (Bretonnia; Sylvaneth)

Ish

Played WarCry for the first time on New Years Day. Enjoyed it a lot, even if I didn't quite understand everything that was going on. Probably don't have the free time to delve into the game more deeply, but it's going on my short list of games to pick up in the not to distant future. I did notice that WarCry, much like Age of Sigmar, suffers from a total lack of Bretonnia. So I decided to fix that... At first I thought I might want to rewrite the Stormcast, but they're all on foot and they all use crossbows. So unchivalrous! I also looked at the undead factions, some of the Chaos bands, etc. Then I spotted the Iondeth Deepkin. They work for the forces of Order, they have knights on flying mounts, they have common troops with bows... They're perfect!

Akhelian Ishlaen Guard and Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (the guys on the flying eels) can be represented by Bretonnian Pegasus Knights; Namarti Reavers can be represented by Bretonnian Peasant archers; and Namarti Thralls represented by Bretonnian Peasants with halberds. A few simple renamings of the faction's special abilities and presto!

Abilities

Faction                       (Double) Impetuous Gallantry: A fighter can use the ability only if it is the first battle round. This fighter can make a bonus move action a number of inches equal to the value of this ability. (Low Tide)

Faction     Minion     (Double) Knightly Temper: Roll 1 die for each visible enemy fighter within 2" of this fighter. On a 5, allocate one damage point to the fighter being rolled for. On a 6, allocate a number of damage points to the fighter being rolled for equal to the value of this ability. (Sweeping Blow)

Faction     Agile         (Double) Volley Fire: Until the end of this fighter's activation, add one to the Attacks characteristic of attack actions made by this fighter that target an enemy fighter more than 3" away. (Storm Fire)

Faction      Leader     (Triple) Noble Disdain: A fighter can use this ability only if it is the third battle round. Add one to the Attacks and Strength characteristics of attack actions that have a Range characteristic of 3 or less made by friendly fighters while they are within 6" of this fighter. (High Tide)

Faction     Bulwark     (Triple) The Lady's Blessing: Until the end of the battle round, count each critical hit from attack actions that target this fighter as a hit instead. (Biovoltaic Barrier)

Faction     Berserker  (Quad) For the Glory and the Grail!: Allocate a number of damage points equal to the value of this ability to all visible enemy fighters within 3" of this fighter. (Biovoltaic Blast)

archer_elite.png

archercard.png

halberdier.png

legasus_lancer.png

peasant.png

pegasus_lance_leader.png

pegasus_leader.png

pegasus_sword.png

Edited by Ish
  • Like 2

I had so much fun making up a Counts As Bretonnian WarCry group, I figured I'd do it again with the Sylvaneth.

Unit Counts As

Blood Stalker Krone = Krunoth Huntmaster with Krunoth Greatbow
Blood Stalker = Krunoth Hunter with Krunoth Greatbow
Blood Sister Gorgai = Krunoth Huntmaster with Krunoth Scythe
Blood Sister = Krunoth Hunter with Krunoth Scythe
Sisters of Slaughter = Dryads

Abilities

Daughters of Khaine     Universal     [Double] Lashvines: A fighter can use this ability only if they are within 3" of a visible enemy fighter with 1 or more damage points allocated to them. Until the end of this fighters activation, add 1 to the Attacks and Strength characteristics of attack actions made by this fighter. (Bathe in Blood)

Daughters of Khaine     Elite              [Double] The Dwellers Below: Pick a visible enemy fighter within 6" of this fighter and roll 2 dice. For each roll of a 4-5, allocate 1 damage point to that fighter. For each roll of a 6, allocate a number of damage points to that fighter equal to the value of this ability. (Turned To Crystal)

Daughters of Khaine     Berserkers   [Triple] Lord of Spites: If the next attack action made by this fighter this activation scores one or more critical hits, and the target fighter is more than 3" away, allocate a number of damage points to that fighter equal to the value of this ability. (Heartseekers)

Daughters of Khaine     Universal     [Triple] Gnarled Warrior: Until the end of this fighters activation, add the value of this ability to the Strength characteristic of attack actions made by this fighter that have a range characteristic of 3 or less. (Slaughter's Strength)

Daughters of Khaine     Leader         [Triple] The Wyld Hunt: A fighter can use this ability only if an enemy fighter has been taken down by an attack action made by them this activation. Until the end of the battle round, add 1 to the Attacks characteristic of attack actions that have a Range characteristic of 3 or less made by visible friendly fighters while they are within 6" of this fighter. (Sacrifice to Khaine)

dryad.png

k_bow_leader.png

k_bow_mook.png

k_spear_leader.png

k_spear_mook.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dark Trainer said:

My big deal with Warcry and AOS, is my Dark elves have been scattered to the wind. I can't make a faction proper army or warband with the 2500pts I own!

I’m going to have to doubt you on that. Unless you had a very unusual army that revolved around some very strange interpretation of their old army book, you should be able to put any collection that was a WHFB 8th Edition legal army on the table in AoS*.

Some names special characters might no longer count as special characters (like my poor Grimgor Ironhide) and you might have to do some jiggery pokery with unit sizes... But that’s about it.

* Offer void in Khemri and Bretonnia.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Ish said:

I’m going to have to doubt you on that. Unless you had a very unusual army that revolved around some very strange interpretation of their old army book, you should be able to put any collection that was a WHFB 8th Edition legal army on the table in AoS*.

Some names special characters might no longer count as special characters (like my poor Grimgor Ironhide) and you might have to do some jiggery pokery with unit sizes... But that’s about it.

* Offer void in Khemri and Bretonnia.

The corsairs are a separate army from the witch elves, which are a separate army from the core spearmen, etc. My pre AOS army was 2 hydras, 2 blocks of spearmen, cauldron of blood, a couple of sorceresses, 2 repeater ballista, blackguard, harpies, etc.

The way the book made it out is all those units are split out across multiple armies now and makes them pieces of a once whole army. That said, haven't dug deeper in AOS, but haven't seen models I can use in Warcry from what i own yet.

23 minutes ago, Dark Trainer said:

The corsairs are a separate army from the witch elves, which are a separate army from the core spearmen, etc. My pre AOS army was 2 hydras, 2 blocks of spearmen, cauldron of blood, a couple of sorceresses, 2 repeater ballista, blackguard, harpies, etc.

The way the book made it out is all those units are split out across multiple armies now and makes them pieces of a once whole army. That said, haven't dug deeper in AOS, but haven't seen models I can use in Warcry from what i own yet.

My understanding is that all the DE stuff has been rolled into 1 army (Cities of Sigmar), with the exception of the stuff that is Daughters of Khaine. So you could Make a Cities army with everything, and ally in the Cauldron probably.

Most Witch Elf units (e.g., Witch Elves, the Cauldron, etc.) are now part of the Daughters of Khaine allegiance, Corsairs are part of the Scourge Privateers allegiance, and most of the “generic” Dark Elf units (e.g. Spearmen) are part of the Darkling Covens allegiance... But they are all part of the Order Grand Alliance.

So you can just plop ‘em all down on the table as an Grand Alliance (Order) allegiance army or pick one of the other allegiances (probably Darkling Covens, Corsairs, or Daughters depending on your specific collection) to be your army’s allegiance and add the others as allies.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Ish said:

Most Witch Elf units (e.g., Witch Elves, the Cauldron, etc.) are now part of the Daughters of Khaine allegiance, Corsairs are part of the Scourge Privateers allegiance, and most of the “generic” Dark Elf units (e.g. Spearmen) are part of the Darkling Covens allegiance... But they are all part of the Order Grand Alliance.

So you can just plop ‘em all down on the table as an Grand Alliance (Order) allegiance army or pick one of the other allegiances (probably Darkling Covens, Corsairs, or Daughters depending on your specific collection) to be your army’s allegiance and add the others as allies.

I believe all of the DE army factions (Darkling Covens, Scourge Privateers, Order Serpentis) are gone, and they only exist as subfactions in Cities of Sigmar, and are probably only relevant in determining which are Battleline, depending on your general (Drakespawn Chariots are Battleline if you have an Order Serpentis general, otherwise they are just regular units for example). You could certainly run it as a Grand Alliance army so you can mix and match freely, but you would probably get better allegiance abilities / etc. by going with Cities of Sigmar and allying stuff in.

EDIT: I was mistaken it looks like, the army factions still exist as their own armies, but for the purpose of porting over an old DE, I still think Cities would be the best bet.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Out of curiosity, why not Cities?

My guess is GW did not want to deal with figuring out how to incorporate the diverse selection of models and sub factions of Cities of Sigmar into Warcry. But once the card packs come out literally every other army will have rules for Warcry. I do think the Cities book is way cool and it gets people playing with a lot of those old fantasy models but it prob was not a big focus for GW. The army did not get any endless spells, faction terrrain, any new model kits or any 2 player starter box. They did however get I think 2 start collecting boxes.

21 hours ago, Dark Trainer said:

My big deal with Warcry and AOS, is my Dark elves have been scattered to the wind. I can't make a faction proper army or warband with the 2500pts I own!

I believe what Andrew is saying is correct in regards to Dark Elf's. If you use the link below it will show you all of the stuff that is valid in a Cities of Sigmar Army that is Dark Elf stuff. At this point in the game everything has been fully incorporated into AoS 2.0 or has been discontinued or relegated to Warhammer Legends (minus Seraphon Lizard men, which are waiting for their 2.0 book).

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer?N=2070689437+78046592&Nr=AND(sku.siteId%3AUS_gw%2Cproduct.locale%3Aen_US_gw)&Nrs=collection()%2Frecord[product.startDate+<%3D+1578469500000+and+product.endDate+>%3D+1578469500000]