New Wood Elves: I have the Book. Spoilers.

General

1. ASF. As advertised, all Wood Elves have ASF. Forest Spirits do not.

2. Wood Elves can place a Citadel Wood in their half of the table and declare what type of forest is is... Normal, Venom, Wildwood, etc.........

3. Forest Spirt are ItP as before. Their attacks, combat and shooting, are magical. The ward save is reduced to 6+........ Sadness. 

4. Wood Elves are re-roll all to wound rolls of 1 in close combat like Dark Elves. ........ Sweet!

4. Like High Elves, they can fight and shoot in an extra rank.

5. Longbows, spears, and javelins are AP.

6. No more move and shoot bows.......booooooooooo

7. No more S4 at short range.......booooo

8. Glade Riders, Guard, Scouts, Captains, and Lords can upgrade to magic arrows. The arrows are enchanted, and can cause -3AS, poison attacks, bonus to wound forces of order or destruction, multiple shots, etc....

9. Spites are gone. Sniff........

Spells.

1. There is no Lore of Athel Loren. 

2. Spell Weavers have access to all 8 standard Lores plus High and Dark Magic.

3. Spell Singers have acces to the 8 basic lores

4. Treeman Ancients and Branchwraiths use Lore of Life.

5. Shadow Dancers and Drycha use Lore of Shadows.

6. The Lore Attributes for Dark and High are nice. 

. The Dark Attribute allows for counters that cause d3 extra hits per counter. 

. The High Attribute allows counters to absorb wounds to the caster or the unit it is in.

7. Casting spells in a wood grants +1 to cast. 

Core.

1. Dryads are no longer Skirmishers. They are RnF troops.......Booooooo. They have hatred , but lose a point of Strength and Initiative. Combined with the new ward Save of 6+, I would expect the models to be a similar cost to ghouls. Instead, the are one point less than before. They cannot take standards or musicians, I am not impressed. They don't even get to attack in three ranks or re-roll ones to wound......

2. Glade Guard are the same cost with an upgrade for enchanted arrows. The command models are the new standard 10 and the unit can take a low pointed magic banner.

3. Glade Riders have a 5 point drop in points. They are now ambushers!, can take low point magic banners, but are still naked.

4. Eternal Guard are straight core. They are stubborn and cost the same as a Glade Guard with a Shield. The Eternal fighting style is gone.

Specials.

1. The Rangers are a unit I wish were core. They are a solid ItP, RnF unit with great weapons. Against fear and terror causes, they have an extra attack. - I really wish these guys were the new Eternal Guard.

2. Treekin are as rumored. They are cheaper, but it is a nerfing. 

3. War Dancers loose their blades, but their dances are better: AP and killing blow, 3+ ward, or disrupt ranks. They are cheaper, so all in all they are better.

4.. Scouts are now special, but 4 points cheaper. - Can any one say Mage bunker?

5. War Hawks are 5 points more and have AP and KB.

6. Sister of the Thorn look good. They have full command, poison attacks, 4+ ward, spells, etc. They aren't bro-locks, but the level just below. 

7. Wild Riders now have a 4+ AS. They always cause fear and have Dev Charge..The command is much cheaper.., but they are not forest spirits or ItP....... Wait for it, they are frenzied! 3 S5 AP attacks on the charge.

Rare.

1 Way watchers look good. They are cheaper and can multi shot or negate armor! - Win 

2. Treeman lose a point of Strength, but gain in leadership and WS. They do not Tree Sing and do not have Hatred. Strangle roots are an upgrade, but are S5, have twice the range and are based off the a BS 6. Even with the upgrade, the model is 40 points cheaper. 

Characters

1. Kindreds are gone.

2. Lords and captains allow a one time S3, auto hit with no armour save vs. the enemy general before the game starts. 

3. The Lords have light armor. The only cheaper mount is the dragon and not by much......

4. Spell Weavers are cheaper and can be mounted on Unicorns, Eagles, and Steeds. They only have bows as an upgrade.

5. Ancients are cheaper than before, but have less attacks than a standard Treeman. Think ancient to normal stegadon. What is really cool, is that they start as L2 casters and can be upgrade up to L4, but they have the BS and WS of a Dryad. Strangle roots are still an upgrade. They cannot take magic items..

6. Captains aka nobles can take stags, steeds, and eagles as mounts. They now start with light armor. 

7. Branchwraiths are 10 more points, but start as L1 Life Wizards and have hatred.

8. Waystalkers are way watcher heros with a better WS than a captain for 15 points. He has a meager magic item points allowance.

9. Shadow Dancers are Wardsncer heroes with L1 Shadow upgrade and a better WS than a captain for 25 more points. 

Magic Items.

Or are they heirlooms?

1. Mostly meh.

2. HoDa is back, cheaper and can be used by the Asrai bow.

3. Calaingor's Stave grants the old tree singing ability. It is a bound spell moving the woods d6+1 or does 2D6 hits to a unit inside the wood. You cannot surf any more, but it can upgrade and bubble out. 

4. The Moonstone is back, but spendy.

5. The Helm of the Hunt is essentially unchanged (Now, you can wear armor.)

6. The bow is back, it launches S3 attacks that cannot be combined with enchanted arrows........,,,

7. Draith's reaper looks nice, but it spendy 

• Like 2

So do you see more Rank and File hordes for WE? Or will it be more like Dark Elves with one large unit, 2 or 3 midsize and a bunch of small support units?

You bringing it Sunday?

It is almost all RnF, but hordes, I doubt it.

I will bring it on Sunday.

Ok, number 32 is just stupid.  You could kill the general before the games starts.  I don't like that at all.  S3 or not, we've all seen what happens in a game of bad dice rolling.  This now opens up my next question about that specific rule.

If you target a general riding a monster, do you randomize the hits?  If you kill the general does the monster take a reaction test?  If you do, you could cause the monster to not even be on the table.  Nope, not a fan of 32.

Last question for you Raindog.  Not this week, but hopefully next week (depending on work) I should be able to make it to gamenight.  Are you wanting to test out the woodies?  If so, could I use your dwarfs for a practice game?  I'm waiting on bases.

Ok, number 32 is just stupid.  You could kill the general before the games starts.  I don't like that at all.  S3 or not, we've all seen what happens in a game of bad dice rolling.

This, this, a thousand times THIS. What an arbitrary, nonsense rule. The general walks out of the tent and takes X (and only X) arrows to the face? It won't make a big difference often, but putting in a rule that'll make the WE player start the game with an apology is a bad rule. And considering the amount of very mobile killing blow, completely unnecessary.

When it does make a difference:

"Congratulations, you have successfully deployed a Wood Elf army. I hope you're proud of yourself."

MN, number 32 is a very strange rule but it is not a KB shot. It is only S3 and you get a ward save. Since the rule states it is an auto hit it will not be randomized if he is riding a monster.

Special rules are not treated like an attack. I don't even think this even counts as an attack. So no rerolls to wound, no KB weapons, no Look Out Sir or any of that. Just follow the special rule.

I don't know if I like it because it is a free out of phase attack on a character but it still only ends up being 1 wound at the worst.

(I have a feeling you know this very well and are just venting, but just wanted to being context back in. Have fun killing Zombies this weekend.)

Ok, number 32 is just stupid.  You could kill the general before the games starts.  I don't like that at all.  S3 or not, we've all seen what happens in a game of bad dice rolling.  This now opens up my next question about that specific rule.

Last question for you Raindog.  Not this week, but hopefully next week (depending on work) I should be able to make it to gamenight.  Are you wanting to test out the woodies?  If so, could I use your dwarfs for a practice game?  I'm waiting on bases.

1) A single S3 wound will no one.

2) Sure.

Well, all your Core starts off the board, your characters have garbage armor saves, and your "combat" units cannot realistically take on anybody. No, I do not think that will be "the" build as its damage output is rather low, doesn't deal with shooting all that well, and has no combat punch worth a damn to take down deathstars.

Something closer to a mixed list would be much stronger working in a Spellweaver, some Riders of Kurnous (skipping them is a travesty), and some Waywatchers to actually deal with armor. As it stands, any DE/HE/Ogre/Vamp army worth its salt will tear that apart.

Ahh, I thought it was one per character. That relegates it to the "what is the point" category. A very stupid rule.

Yup, just looked at a book (not mine yet, grrrr!!!), and was relieved when I saw that it was 1 S3 shot irregardless of the number of heroes.

Well, all your Core starts off the board, your characters have garbage armor saves, and your "combat" units cannot realistically take on anybody. No, I do not think that will be "the" build as its damage output is rather low, doesn't deal with shooting all that well, and has no combat punch worth a damn to take down deathstars.

Something closer to a mixed list would be much stronger working in a Spellweaver, some Riders of Kurnous (skipping them is a travesty), and some Waywatchers to actually deal with armor. As it stands, any DE/HE/Ogre/Vamp army worth its salt will tear that apart.

Your missing the point any turn you are in combat you are doing it wrong.

It's a total earn points on chaff and run to the edges type. Is it fun ? Hell no but total douche waffles avoid lists do very well.

Oh glorious Wild Riders!

Archers with the no penalty arrows to clear chaff, Waywatchers to soften things, Warhawks for mages and burly Wild Rider units to punch things in the face nicely. Joy!

Though I also really enjoy the idea of the Dancer Guy+EG with Wild Rider counter chargers. Tasty that.

It's funny. People are going ga-ga over the Bodkin arrows, but I think the no penalty ones are going to be more popular, especially for anyone that goes for a build with the Acorn.

• Like 1

I'm whole heatedly with you on the no penalty arrows. It gives the wood elves their mobile shooting, even better than it was when it was S4 at close range. Plenty of forests, making cover punish your enemies, while only giving you bonuses. The new book is very different than the old, but has some really great possibilities.

• Like 1

The no penalties arrows are nice. I like the poison arrows for bigs. The arcane arrows are sweet, but the waywatchers serve that role.

Which lore is better for the Wood Elves?

Shadow to reduce toughness and strength?

Dark for Word of Pain and adding tokens to wounds?

High to add Glory, wreck magic, and heal?

I'm planning on a Lvl 4 Shadow and a Level 2 Beast, both to help deal with the low S and T of the Wood Elves. I think S/T augmenting magic complements the Wood Elves best, by making their shooting more effective and giving them more hitting and staying power in combat.