Gaming Mats

18 minutes ago, andy said:

I have a couple of FLG mats that I really like, but that's no help I guess. When I was shopping for 'em, I almost went with F.A.T. mats so that's where I'd start.

FLG/Fat mat is the go to, for sure, that's why I thought I'd see if anyone has shopped around and enjoyed what they received. I vaguely recall a Ukrainian printer doing it a few years ago, and such. 

I'll share any results I come across that look promising. 

All things being equal, I prefer neoprene... But these are pretty inexpensive, starting at $17.00 USD.

If your looking for something like Blood BowlX-Wing, Red Skies, or Gaslands where you basically need something more “board-game board” than “base layer for terrain” than vinyl is probably fine.  

Would be a good source of “clubhouse mats” for WarCryKill Team, and Necromunda... assuming that the quality is decent.

12 hours ago, Ish said:

Mats by Mars has some nice looking designs, although I haven't seen them in the flesh, so caveat emptor. They're also based in Missouri, so shipping shouldn't be as bad as ordering from Poland.

The Malifaux community loves Mats by Mars and they are good. The vinyl feels just fine the roll up easier and are lighter to transport than neoprene.

Plenty tough as well. I will caution that I've never rolled dice on them and I doubt they muffle the dice clatter.

Final point Mats by Mars does overlays which are super cool for games with pre measuring and hidden objectives like Malifaux. The overlays are optional as the mats seem basically printed on demand.

• Thanks 2

I only have experience with FLG mats, but I would love to see the double sided mats from Gamemat.eu sometime. FLG has several sales throughout the year and you can get one of their mats for $60 shipped. Last mat I ordered was a snow version, however they sent the wrong non-snow version and refunded me some cash, so in the end I got it for $45?ish shipped. Can't beat that!

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2020 at 10:02 PM, andy said:

Interesting. Those are vinyl. I wonder how they feel... I like the sponginess of the neoprene ones. 

Neoprene is superior because it will always lay flat after being rolled. A huge vinyl mat can sometimes have waves after unrolling. Sure it's cheaper, but the neoprene is an invenstment for a reason. I agree, I wish neoprene wasn't so expensive.

I also like how neoprene deadens dice bouncing and rolling all over. It's minor, but makes for cleaner play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, VonVilkee said:

I agree with dark trainer, I have both vinyl and neoprene. But my vinyl mat is only 3x3 never considered replacing my front line gaming 6x4 mats.

Yeah, this!

Vinyl is fine for smaller mats. I have 3 different blood bowl pitches, some kill team mats, etc. Plus, vinyl is cheap enough to get printed custom too. The kill team mats we got from https://www.aprintco.com/ were a steal.

• Like 2