First go at a new Wood Elf List, 2500 points

So I recently played a 2300 pt WE game on Thursday. I placed the waystalker in a unit of Deepwood scouts with Hagbane arrows. due to the scenario we rolled (number 2) i got to place my characters in units as they were deployed. I also gave them a lvl 2 wiz with the moonstone. here was my list

Lords

LVL 3 spell weaver - acorn - Lore of life spells 2/3/5

Araloth

Heroes:

Waywatcher - Bow of loren

level 2 Spellsinger - moonstone - Lore of life spells 1/4

Captian (bsb) - hunt banner

Captian - Daiths reaper

Core:

Gladeguard x 10 w/ truefire arrows

Glade Riders x5 w/ Hagbane arrows

Glade Riders x5 w/ Hagbane arrows

Special:

Wildwood rangers x 20 Full command w/ swift banner

Deepwood Scouts x15 w/ Hagbane arrows

i was VS Demons of Chaos. can't remember his list. but i did loose the battle once his bloodthirster  got into combat with my Wildwood rangers. Sad thing was they hadn't lost a single model and had gone through 3 full rounds of combat before getting to the BT. It killed 9 in it's first turn, then proceeded to finish the rest of the unit. in all the game was a blast, however I do think i brought a knife to a gun fight :P

what surprised me was how effective the waywatcher was through the whole game with his unit of deepwood scouts. and having the wiz. with the moonstone was awesome, dancing around his units and picking off his characters. however i think i may have been using that unit incorrectly, I couldn't remember if skirmishers can march and shoot. and we didn't care to look it up and find out. if i was using them correctly then they were a very effective unit.

what surprised me was how effective the waywatcher was through the whole game with his unit of deepwood scouts. and having the wiz. with the moonstone was awesome, dancing around his units and picking off his characters. however i think i may have been using that unit incorrectly, I couldn't remember if skirmishers can march and shoot. and we didn't care to look it up and find out. if i was using them correctly then they were a very effective unit.

Yep, skirmishers can march and shoot - they're the perfect recipient of the Moonstone. While shadow magic synergizes well with Wood Elves in a lot of other ways ways, it'd be great to be able to get Steed of Shadows on the Moonstone mage. Being able to teleport a combat unit into a flanking position and then fly 20" across the table to hop into another unit would be marvelous!

Araticus, that list seems pretty character heavy. WHile I think you've got a solid core, it seems like it lacks some fighting punch (outside of the rangers).

If you are running beasts a waystalker with bow of Loren could be amazing if you cast savage beast on it.

While it would be really funny to get this combo off, imho I think it is something that would be more beneficial as a fortunate accident, rather than planning an army around it, and the reasons are three-fold:

1. Savage Beast is really more for combat characters. With +3S and +3A, it is clear that a combat character with already decent WS would benefit greatly from this. Throwing it on a waystalker means he only benefits from the +3A part, as the strength of the bow comes from the weapon itself, thus always be S3. That wastes half the spell.

2. Throwing it on a waystalker means investing at least two dice to cast it, and that is a waste when he doesn't benefit from the whole spell. That's if you even get the spell at the beginning of the game. An important spell like that is kind of a waste to spend on a 90 point character, that will maybe get one more wound per round of shooting, before saves. Remember, the strength still doesn't go up, so you're still shooting 50% to wound at best, most likely 33% as most other characters are at least T4.

3. The spell only has a 12" range. That means your waystalker has to be within a foot of the mage, greatly reducing his maneuverability and/or taking advantage of his Scout ability. Once we start hamstringing our characters' special rules, we devalue his points cost, possibly making it harder for us to earn points back with him.

So my conclusion is this: If, for some reason, you are building a kitchen sink list, and happen to get the spell, and happen to have a waystalker, and happen to have said waystalker within 12 inches, and happen to have two spare powerdice, and happen to get the spell off... well, I'd say go for it!  :biggrin: Cause the reaction on your opponent's face will be that much more the sweeter when you kill his general with a 90 point model BAHAHAHA!

My exception to the three-fold rule is this: If you have THREE waystalkers and cast boosted Savage Beast and give all three of them +3A, dude... THAT would be hilarious!!!

If you are playing s shooty WE list you might not want to engage until turn 3 or 4 with some of your units.  it gives you a use for it before you engage the enemy.  also he will kill cavalry in droves and can easily kill a two wound mage a turn.  I am not saying to build a list around it, but it is an interesting idea that i think i could find room for in my list in a larger pt value game.  At 2500 i just kind make room

• 1 month later...

So, with my OFCC 40k binge over and with my needing to help my clubmates with the upcoming 'Ham Slamwich, I've got Woodies on my painting table again. I really wish I wrote down my old paint recipies!

The list I'm considering now is 2499 points, and comps in at a 10.6.

[320] Lvl 4, Acorn, Heavens
[120] Lvl 1 Moonstone, Beast
[137] BSB, HoDA, Dragonsbane Gem, Shield

[160] 10 GG, Trueflight, Music
[261] 18 Eternal Guard. Shields, Full Command, Std of Discipline

[178] 6 Wildriders, shields, Music
[178] 6 Wildriders, shields, Music
[140] 5 Sisters, Music
[135] 3 Treekin
[135] 3 Warhawk Riders
[85] 5 Wardancers, champ

[140] 7 Waywatchers
[140] 7 Waywatchers
[50] Eagle

The Beast Mage goes with the Eternal Guard and buffs them and flits them into flanking position with the Moonstone. I've found Heavens to be a good (less-comped) substitute for Shadows, with some lower casting spells to get off. The Wildriders and the EG do the heavy lifting, with plenty of shooting for chaff and troublesome units. I've got some nice chaff to get in the way (I LOVE those Wardancers!). The Treekin are there to take up points and because I still think they're cool. It'll still struggle against armies with lots of high toughness, but maybe a sprinkling of Venom thickets will help in that respect. 

The one unit I'm not sure about are the Sisters. I love the models, and I love having the Curse guaranteed.  Aside from that, I'm not sure. They've certainly underwhelmed me when I had Shadow and Death on the table, as I had better things on which to spend magic dice. Maybe they'll be more useful with Heavens. If I dropped them for another unit of Wardancers and another Eagle, with another 20 points to sprinkle around. That'd push me up to an even 11 comp and tons of annoying harassment units to keep enemy units contained. Thoughts? Ideas?

Bonus consideration! Making that switch also shrinks my paint log and gets more Wardancers back on the table. MIscalculated before. Switching the sisters for 5 Wardancers with champion and an Eagle gives me points to switch the Gem for the Helm on the BSB. Plans a good one, and I'll add the sisters back in for higher point games.