Citadel Colour webpage

dalmer

2 hours ago, andy said:

Goonhammer has been knocking it out of the park lately, for example they just recently posted a really good article on painting flesh.

I'll blindly endorse goonhammer until otherwise retracted, as they recently came through my orbit.  I don't recall what the article was, but it didn't leave me feeling like I'd been at bols

5 hours ago, andy said:

Goonhammer has been knocking it out of the park lately, for example they just recently posted a really good article on painting flesh.

There are definitely other good sources. I particularly like Miniature Hobby Tutorials, , which compiles curated lists of links to good tutorials in one place. I just kinda with GW hadn't decided to go all video for their online painting guides.

On 1/20/2020 at 5:24 PM, WestRider said:

I just wish they had non-video guides and tutorials. I can never get anything from videos.

Interesting.  I read articles for years before I came back to the hobby last year.  Didn't have youtube back then and I feel like in the six months since I started watching these videos, I understand painting a TON better.  I just couldn't get from print what they were trying to convey.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, bouke said:

Interesting.  I read articles for years before I came back to the hobby last year.  Didn't have youtube back then and I feel like in the six months since I started watching these videos, I understand painting a TON better.  I just couldn't get from print what they were trying to convey.

I can't speak for West, but in my experience, youtube How2s are largely different from GWs.  GW tends to say what, but not how. They try to fit everything into like 2-5 minutes.  The youtubers tend to be more in depth, showing a technique multiple times from different angles.  

The GW/FW painting books, as they were images and words, tended to be far better instructors than most of GWs vids, too.

On 1/24/2020 at 10:04 AM, bouke said:

It's not just painting. I am, for whatever reason, terrible at absorbing information from videos. I need to be able to flip back and forth between the various steps more easily than video allows.

On 1/28/2020 at 9:58 AM, WestRider said:

It's not just painting. I am, for whatever reason, terrible at absorbing information from videos. I need to be able to flip back and forth between the various steps more easily than video allows.

I learn from both, I just found that interesting.   I could never put it together with just articles, I was always part way there but something was missing. I didn't put painting together until I saw the videos but I read plenty of articles.  I had to see how they did stuff to put it all together.  Now I'm still terrible, but at least my techniques are right!

• Like 2