Stripping

Have a good grip of plastic to strip.  I have maybe half a gallon of 181 proof IPA .  I don't have Simple Green.  Thoughts?

@RobynMM, do ya'll strip and re-prime things?  Have a preferred method?  Experimented with IPA?  I think it would be too caustic for Finecast et al, but plastic, I would think it would be fine overnight. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Have a good grip of plastic to strip.  I have maybe half a gallon of 181 proof IPA .  I don't have Simple Green.  Thoughts?

@RobynMM, do ya'll strip and re-prime things?  Have a preferred method?  Experimented with IPA?  I think it would be too caustic for Finecast et al, but plastic, I would think it would be fine overnight. 

Mindtaker doesn't provide any cleaning services, but we've stripped stuff for personal use. I was going to run a test on what solvents worked best on each type of material but haven't had the time to run the trials. I did buy like 6 different products to test out. I've personally had good luck with plain paint thinner on plastic, of course the cost is what kills you there for doing a lot of minis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of the Youtube hobby duders (Tabletop Minions maybe? Or maybe Goobertown Hobbies...) did a test of a few of the popular methods (Simple Green, Castrol Superclean, etc.) and found they pretty much work the same. I'm too lazy to find the link ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I use Castrol SuperClean and it works fine for me. I've used Simple Green, and it worked fine too. I used brake fluid long ago, and it worked fine too -- though the jury is still out on whether I got a tumor from it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

I'll look it up, as I'm on my laptop at any rate ^_^

I haven't used break fluid since 4th going into 5th ed 40k.  No thanks. lol  

Castrol's is a degreaser, ya?

Simple green has always worked fine for me. Takes scrubbing with a toothbrush, but doesn't damage plastics, even if you leave it in for 2 days, etc. Does take some scrubbing, and the model is not 100% paint free in some places. But it's enough to repaint.

That said, Bryan told me about Castrol Super Clean, think it was like 1-2 hours to soak then the paint just peeled off. PROBLEM, it's very caustic and cancerous, use ventilation and proper hazard gloves!

1 hour ago, Dark Trainer said:

That said, Bryan told me about Castrol Super Clean, think it was like 1-2 hours to soak then the paint just peeled off. PROBLEM, it's very caustic and cancerous, use ventilation and proper hazard gloves!

It's caustic, but not a carcinogen. Gloves are definitely a good idea 👍 and I'd wear safety glasses if I didn't already have to wear specs.

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

I removed the Dread from the 70% IPA bath last night, having scrubbed periodically. Nothing but the tam clear that came off immediately so much as bubbled.  

I'll let ya know how the 90% fares.

I still can’t read IPA without imagining happy little minis bathing in beer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2