Rumbleslam!

Brick Bungalow

Reading the rules now... 

It seems pretty well written. There is a strong emphasis on initiative. The best moves require coordination and manipulation of bonuses. The special dice allow for some highly volatile swings in fortune. More so than games with traditional dice. Pretty much every convention of professional wrestling is present. Not simply present but balanced in function and utility. Using the ropes and turnbuckles is essential. Showboating for the crowd is also required. There is a nice mechanic for representing the difference between heroes and heels. There is a shade of games like robo rally in that a carefully planned strategy will need to contend with chaotic changes. I'm pretty excited to try it out. 

Do players have to cut a promo before the match begins? Because that was always the best part of pro wrestling, in my opinion. Yes, the stunts were cool, the fight choreography was fun (especially with wrestlers that really knew their wrestling psychology), and all the rest... But watching someone like Ted DiBiase, Macho Man, or the Rock cut loose on the mic was what really kept me watching.

I’ve always wanted to try the World Wide Wrestling RPG, which had some really neat mechanics that sort of rotated game-mastering duties between the players as “Creative,” and players can actually sometimes succeed better by loosing a match than by winning it! 

10 hours ago, Ish said:

Do players have to cut a promo before the match begins? Because that was always the best part of pro wrestling, in my opinion. Yes, the stunts were cool, the fight choreography was fun (especially with wrestlers that really knew their wrestling psychology), and all the rest... But watching someone like Ted DiBiase, Macho Man, or the Rock cut loose on the mic was what really kept me watching.

I’ve always wanted to try the World Wide Wrestling RPG, which had some really neat mechanics that sort of rotated game-mastering duties between the players as “Creative,” and players can actually sometimes succeed better by loosing a match than by winning it! 

Sort of. Each wrestler has a unique 'crowd pleaser' action they can perform in any given turn. I figure this represents things like entrance theme or signature dances or whatever shtick is associated with that character. Many of the special moves also obligate you to roll for crowd reacts. 

This is good silly fun but its also essential strategy. Crowd pleasers give you access to special team bonuses. They are also the healing mechanic of the game and the way that you can remove negative effects in time to save a wrestler from being eliminated.