Warmachine in SPPPPPPAAAAACCCCEEEEEE

Dreg

I feel like they’re hitting the market about ten years too late with this. WarmaHordes just doesn’t seem to have the “fire” behind it that it once did... 

Star Wars X-Wing and Star Wars Legion seem to be the main competition to GW’s darling Spess Mahreens these days amongst the tournament-uber-alles crowd, with Bolt Action and GW’s own Necromunda being the bigger draw for the less competitive crowd. Then there’s Infinity, which appeals very strongly to both camps.

• Thanks 1

I feel like they're trying very hard to diversify their income streams, with more success than they have in the past. Monsterpocalypse send to be doing well enough, and it's certainly offering a unique product compared to any other game on the market right now. I'm not sure where they're going with Riot Quest, but it's fun to play...

Warmachine 5k feels like it's going to have a much harder hill to climb. I have faith in PP's design abilities to creat a good game, but I don't know if they'll be able to back that up with production and marketing. They've had a lot of hiccups on that front over the last few years. And, as said, it's competing against Infinity, 40k, and Kill Team for that thematic space.

• Like 1

In 2003, when Warmachine also launched after the release of a popular trilogy of D&D Third Edition modules in 2001 (practically the dawn of the “D20 Boom”), which helped generate some interest in the miniatures game from outside the wargaming hobby, rather than just try to pull people away from GW and other games. It also launched at a time when WH40k’s Third Edition was beginning to stagnate (Fourth Edition launched a year later).

The various Star Wars games (especially X-Wing) and Marvel: Crisis Protocol seem much better positioned to capture the “Normies” than Warcaster, given the unprecedented levels popularity of those franchises both have.

I don’t want to wish any ill on Privateer Press, but... I don’t know if they’ll be able to catch lightning in a bottle a second time around.

(Having said all that, if they roll out a Warcaster roleplaying game... That might get me interested.)

watched about half of the vid. Kind of funny how they are going for a "simpler?" version with this game....no hit boxes and components...just a straight HP number and fairly simple rules for determining damage. Also an interesting mechanic for recycling units...allows you to play bigger games without always having to own enough models for the full size. Also keeping unit sizes to three models or less is kind of nice too. must....stay....away.....from....another.....new.....game....... 😉

Kickstarter just opened up. $70 for a starter set. Nabs you the rules, tokens, dice and a starter force of 6 models. Seems way too pricey for freaking kickstarter...especially when the models are going to be a mix of metal and resin (as per FAQ). And you can pay for a larger force which will get you more of the same models unless you want to spend $200+. I was tempted at first, but this just doesn't seem like a solid investment. I have the feeling there will be plenty of starter sets available for cheap not long after....

They're explicitly using it as a preorder system, not the usual deep KS discounts you might be used to seeing. One reason is so that people have a reason to get it through their FLGS instead of just getting it all cheap through KS...

I'm going to see if any local stores are willing to back it at the retail level, and go through them if possible. Otherwise, I'll... uh, either get a full army ($310) or two starters ($140) and start demoing.

I was also hoping to see a deeper lineup of models and concepts. I get it, its a phase 1 and 2 setup right now, but still, the model depth just wasn't there to draw me in. I'll keep an eye on it as the kickstarter goes on and hopefully they reveal a bit more. Not quite sure how I feel about them using kickstarter as an advertising platform. I did like the fringe faction models though. I'm a sucker for desert color schemes. 🙂