OFCC Ogres: Looking for opinions

So I'm looking for feedback on my Ogres list that I was planning on bringing to the OFCC this year. Last year I was caught off-guard by a last-minute invite to the OFCC, and ended up running a double Slaughtermaster list just to fill up points. This list was sort of a continuation of the 2500-ish point list I was working on before I joined the Ordo forums or had even heard of the OFCC. My idea at the time was to build a list that lacked some of the elements that I felt made Ogres not fun to play against (Hellheart, Mournfang spam, double Ironblaster), while still having a list that wasn't a pushover. 

Tyrant

-Great Weapon

-Heavy Armor

-Trickster's Helm 

-5++

Slaughtermaster

-Lvl 4, Maw

-GW

-Armour of Destiny

Butcher

-Lvl 1, Heavens

-GW

-Scroll

Bruiser

-BSB

-Heavy Armor

-Crown of Command

-Enchanted Shield

-Warrior Bane

10 Ironguts

-Full Command

-Standard of Discipline

8 Ogres

-Ironfists

-Full Command

7 Maneaters

-Stubborn & Immune to Psych

-Gleaming Pennant

-3x XHW

4 Leadbelchers

-Bellower

Sabertusk

Ironblaster

Gorger

Giant

Can Slaughter Masters take magic armor?

They can.  It was a big controversy when the Ogre book came out, as slaughte rmasters had the option for an iron fist.  Eventually, in the FAQ, they said that it wasn't intended, but would allow for them to take armor anyways.  A very weird situation.

Well, chaos wizards are allowed to take armor as the have chaos armor either stock or as an option.  Because of that they are allowed to use magical armor.   I'd say that the same applies here: Caster has the option to bring some kind of armor, therefor they are not barred from bringing magical armor.

It's how people have been playing it since a month or so after the book came out.  To change it now just because GW are being dicks about getting the FAQ back up doesn't seem necessary.

Also is irrelevant regardless of Jervis Johnson's tissy. The base rule is clear as purple crayon.

Cool list. Good mix of everything and I always love seeing giants.

Thank you! This list is a little different than what I've been running recently (usually run a bigger block of Leadbelchers), but I've been really wanting to try out a Giant for a while, since I love the model / rules. Same thing with the Gorger. 

Though you may have your Tyrant as your general, for me, I prefer to give a little protection to my slaughtermasters. Not by armor saves or ward saves, but rather inability to hit him. Fencers blades and Glittering Scales is a great combo. Fencers blades gives him an extra attack and WS10. That means most core troops with WS3 or 4 need a 5+ to hit him. With Glittering Scales, they only hit him on 6's. Even chaos warriors only hit him on a 5+. Couple that with T5, that makes him hard to wound with the average rank and file - S3 needs 6's, S4 needs 5+, and so on. This makes him hard to hit and hard to wound. Throw on an Opal Amulet for a little save protection, and you've got a pretty formidable fighter/caster.

Most people use a L1 to take Lore of Maw, so the Slaughtermaster can take another lore. Just something to think about, as Maw is a little weak, compared to some of the Basic 8 they can take. But if that's your intention, I commend you.

I think it is a softer list than what you brought the year before, definitely more in the spirit of OFCC, I would think. But I think it could be a very fun list, well-rounded, and you got a little of everything to make if fun for you as well as your opponent.

PS. I love maneaters!

The list looks good. We can teak it a bit to get your casters and leadership core a bit better to get that survivabilty factor. I will send you some ideas and talk to you PM. Andrew I am hoping to get you and others on our team to play some practice games before OFCC.

Practice!?!  Practice??!?!  We are talking about practice here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d29VsG35DQM

The list looks good. We can teak it a bit to get your casters and leadership core a bit better to get that survivabilty factor. I will send you some ideas and talk to you PM. Andrew I am hoping to get you and others on our team to play some practice games before OFCC.

Sounds great, would love to get some practice in!

Though you may have your Tyrant as your general, for me, I prefer to give a little protection to my slaughtermasters. Not by armor saves or ward saves, but rather inability to hit him. Fencers blades and Glittering Scales is a great combo. Fencers blades gives him an extra attack and WS10. That means most core troops with WS3 or 4 need a 5+ to hit him. With Glittering Scales, they only hit him on 6's. Even chaos warriors only hit him on a 5+. Couple that with T5, that makes him hard to wound with the average rank and file - S3 needs 6's, S4 needs 5+, and so on. This makes him hard to hit and hard to wound. Throw on an Opal Amulet for a little save protection, and you've got a pretty formidable fighter/caster.

Most people use a L1 to take Lore of Maw, so the Slaughtermaster can take another lore. Just something to think about, as Maw is a little weak, compared to some of the Basic 8 they can take. But if that's your intention, I commend you.

I think it is a softer list than what you brought the year before, definitely more in the spirit of OFCC, I would think. But I think it could be a very fun list, well-rounded, and you got a little of everything to make if fun for you as well as your opponent.

PS. I love maneaters!

I know the Glittering Scales / Fencer's Blade combo is supposed to be pretty good, was just trying to stay away from "The Build." Plus the 4++, along with T5 and regaining wound from the lore attribute have done me well in the past.

I've honestly haven't messed around with the other magic lores for Ogres very much. I actually think Lore of the Great Maw is really strong for Ogres. I like that +1T and +1S are their own separate spells, as opposed to Wildform, as it forces my opponent to make some choices with their dispel dice. Trollguts is great, and Stubborn is a great signature spell. The level 1 on Heavens is mainly there as a scroll caddy, but Iceshard Blizzard is a really nice for Ogres, and unlike having a level 1 on, say, Beasts, I don't have to chuck a ton of dice at it to make it go off. I also have a chance at getting Comet, if I need it. 

Truth be told, I've never tried Beasts or Death. I like Heavens quite a bit, but I feel that the combat buffs from 'Maw are better.

Heavens is amazing, and definitely my go-to, when running the "gunline" style ogres.  Bubble Harmonic Convergence is a game breaker with 2-3 units of Leadbelchers and especially ruins the cav+chaff list the East Coast is so confident in.  If you're running a more combat oriented list without max characters, like yours, Maw is pretty solid