'Ham Slamwich, 11/22/14

So far, your benevolent overlords (Joey and I, with nagging and suggestions from Sherbert), are figuring the following:

What: A 1-day Warhammer Fantasy tournament, and a qualifier for the NW Masters

When: Saturday 11/22/14, 10am check-in

Size: 2500 points

Participants: We're aiming for about 30

Other Details:

* Using Swedish Composition, with only armies above a certain amount being allowed

* Separate awards for general, sports, and paint; perhaps equally weighting them for an overall

* Prizes for winners (though I'd like to maybe do a seperate raffle and a small bit of swag or two - nothing Walpurgis-style, but a little something extra) 

What do y'all think about the following:

* Length of time for games? 3 hours enough?

* Where should the limit be set for Comp? No armies with a comp score lower than a ...

* Any scenarios that you've played in the past that you really loved and want to share?

* What type of scoring system would you like to use? With only 3 games, a straight W/D/L probably wouldn't give enough variance. Do we go to a 0-20 system with scenarios giving extra victory points? Do we do points for W/D/L with points for scenarios added onto those? Do we pick a middle ground and set variable points for draw/minor/major/massacre?

• Like 1

1) 3 hours should be enough (possibly even for me). Check in at 10, and dice roll at 10:30? 11?

2) Link for Swedish comp? Is this it here?

3) Nope!

4) This part is over my head as I've never organized a tournament and crunched the numbers. I'll go with whatever. Not super thrilled about rewarding massacres more than a normal victory as I don't like the precedent that sets. Using a comp system does balance that out, but it does still encourage people to find the most powerful build they can within the restrictions set. I like battle points specific to scenarios, but understand that makes mission design more difficult.

• Like 1

2.5 hrs doesnt seem like that long for a round but 3 seems a little long, what about 2 hour and 45 min? then a lunch break and 15 min break between games. 

maybe knock off armies with a score lower than 5? They only crazy army ive seen in the area is Nathaniel's DE and they are a 2 i think. I know I wouldnt want to fight that in a 3 game tourny.   

we could use some modified scenarios out of the book and some stock scenarios. Since its only a three game tourny, maybe do a normal game, blood and glory, and then a fun scenario that we make up or find from other tournys.

as far as the scoring system goes I have no idea. We could do a local tourny over the summer and try the 0-20 system, but ive never seen in action so yeah, no idea.

Also, is there going to be paint requirements? 

Definitely paint requirements. I think Joey and I are of the same mind on that.

Kevin - Yep, that's the latest version. You can always link to the most recent version from the forum: http://swfbr.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4494 They haven't done the new Wood Elves yet, but they're usually pretty quick. The system gets constantly tweaked, as well.

For the scenarios, I'd definitely like to use slightly modified versions of tried-and-true scenarios. Slight alterations can make things a bit more narrative, but still within the realm of sanity. The last Fantasy Games Day we ran had some narrative scenarios that might be worth revisiting. I definitely wants ome sort of narrative scenarios that still let people play Warhammer while enhancing the flavor somewhat.

11/22, this date intrigues me, weekend before Thanksgiving, and I hate to fly that week...might just need a Friday flight out, if I can paint the next 150 rats.

I feel your pain. My buddy, in his infinite wisdom, decided to book his wedding in Hawaii on Thanksgiving weekend. I'll most likely be spending Thanksgiving in an airport. Suuuuper thrilled about it.

I feel your pain. My buddy, in his infinite wisdom, decided to book his wedding in Hawaii on Thanksgiving weekend. I'll most likely be spending Thanksgiving in an airport. Suuuuper thrilled about it.

Won't be too bad if you fly direct from here.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.