New to 9th age needed suggestions

I was there last weekend checking out games. I have found my old high elves and have enough for a game but I dont have movement trays. Anyone know a good place to get some?

I was also thinking about starting a new army like dark elves or maybe the tomb kings, any suggestions?

I’ve always been a big fan of Litko‘s movement trays, magnetic bases, and flexible steel sheets. I’ve always found Litko’s prices fair, with prompt shipping, and friendly customer service.

As far as armies go, every faction from WHFB can be found in some form in T9A. The High Elves are directly ported over into the Highborn Elves.

Citadel Miniatures Tomb Kings have been out of print for several years now, leaving you to the mercy of the second hand market. You'll have to scour eBay and the like... Or you can go with miniatures from a different company altogether. 

Mantic Games' Kings of War Undead are popular, but tend to have a more Fantasy-European vibe than the Fantasy-Egypt most people want from Undying Dynasties (Tomb Kings)

WarGods of Ægyptus is a game that no one (besides me) seems to have even heard of and no one (including me) seems to have ever played. But as the name implies, it's got quite a lot of Fantasy-Egypt stuff. The models are all pewter and some are a bit "meh," but if you look in their Undead range you might find some cool heroes. I also recommend taking a look at their Weapon Packs and Shield Packs. Just swapping out the weapons and shields of garden variety Fantasy-European skeletons might be enough to make a lot of rank and file Undying Dynasties (Tomb Kings) mooks on the cheap.

Gamezone's Royal Tumuli Guardians are all gorgeous, but probably too pricey for rank and file. Great source for Heroes that you want to stand out from the rabble though.

Mierce Miniatures also makes gorgeous models, but they're also pricey. Excellent Heroes and one of the few sources for alternative Sepulchral Stalkers / Necropolis Knights with their Khthon Gorgórars.

But probably the best thing going right now are Warlord Games' Skeleton Warriors; twenty-four to a box, with options for spears, sword-n-board, or archers, for a mere $30. They've got a very Ray Harryhausen Jason and the Argonauts look to them. A bit more Fantasy-Greece than Fantasy-Egypt, but probably close enough for most people (and if you grab some of those WarGods of Ægyptus shield packs I mentioned before you could really spice these up.) They also have a special bundle called Children of the Hydra's Teeth that gives you 90 skeletons and a very cool Necromancer for a mere $80! 

Last, but not least, there's the Scarab SonsScorpio Legion and Manticores insignia sets from Pop Goes the Monkey. I bet it wouldn't be too hard to use these with the shields from the Warlord Games Skeletons (above).

7 hours ago, Damunky said:

I was there last weekend checking out games. I have found my old high elves and have enough for a game but I dont have movement trays. Anyone know a good place to get some?

I was also thinking about starting a new army like dark elves or maybe the tomb kings, any suggestions?

Hello and welcome! 

So I'll echo a lot of what Ish has said, regarding movement trays and models. I'll also say that if you looking for MDF movement trays, I really like Warbases. They are a UK company, but their prices and shipping times are very good, and I've always been satisfied with their stuff!

A good resource for models is the 9th Age forums: https://www.the-ninth-age.com/community/index.php?board-list/

Each army has their own section, and there is a subsection for suitable models. Here's the section for Undying Dynasties (Tomb Kings): https://www.the-ninth-age.com/community/lexicon/index.php?lexicon/476-undying-dynasties-ud/

45 minutes ago, Damunky said:

Alright so I have gotten some dark elf models on the way and I have a new problem. I cant seem to find anything that works well for a bolt thrower any suggestions?

Kings of War make a number of Bolt Thorwers for various factions, including for their Elf faction, most of them look like they could probably work with the "Dread Elf" aesthetic if you swap out their crew to more elf-y models. If you go on ebay and type in "Bolt Thrower 28mm," it comes up with a number of them, as well as a Gamezone Bolt Thrower and some more "historic" options, if that's the direction you want to go 🙂

If you don't mind second hand, you can also get the old Warhammer Dark Elf Reaper Bolt Thrower, there seems to be a number of them on ebay for fairly reasonable prices, considering they are out of print models.

I don't play 9th; however, here's a few places I used when I played 8th.

Reaper Mini for a huge selection of hero choices

https://www.reapermini.com/

Avatar of War makes some great minis as well as bases.  In fact my Dwarf army from 8th is all I kept due to the bases and my ranger models

https://en.avatars-of-war.com/collections/fantasy-battles-the-9th-age

For movement trays I used, and continue to use, tectonic.

https://tectoniccraftstudios.com/collections/movement-trays

Those are my suggestions.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

hey @Damunky just wanted to check in to see how you are doing? It's rather unfortunate you got your first taste of T9A right before the great lockdown.

Did you end up getting your Dark Elves? Have you had a chance to play some sort of practice game?

Looking forward to hopefully getting to play a game with you once we are back to gaming.

• Like 2

@TheBeninator I did pick up some raging heroes dark elf models and have been working on them super slow. I also got a resin 3d printer so I have been printing unit fillers to help make it easier to get large units. I haven't had a chance to play any games at all because I'm not sure where I can go for that but I would love to

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 11:30 AM, TheBeninator said:

hey @Damunky just wanted to check in to see how you are doing? It's rather unfortunate you got your first taste of T9A right before the great lockdown.

Did you end up getting your Dark Elves? Have you had a chance to play some sort of practice game?

Looking forward to hopefully getting to play a game with you once we are back to gaming.

So I know it's been a bit but game nights are starting to happen again. Maybe get a learning game in or something if you are comfortable going to game night?