Sign in to follow this  
The_Rat_Catchers

Starting Necromunda

Hey everyone,

Considering starting necromunda for the first time. As far as skirmish games go, I have a strong Mordheim background, own a dozen warbands, tons of terrain etc for those rainy days you don't want to go to the LGS and just want to play with your roommates (We're college students, when don't we want to procrastinate and roll dice). Scanning Gamesworkshop, ebay, and other areas of the internet i'm noticing quite the price tag. Starter boxes range from $125 to $290, Emperor preserve us. While i'd rather buy the gangs from their individual boxes, and maybe pick up those shiny Forge World weapon kits, I can't help but wonder about all the books they have out for the current game. I'm imaging the core rulebook will only get me so far? Especially if my roommates and I are using gangs released at separate times? What say the underhive, do I need a majority of the books? Gang warfare seemed like a great place to start, though i'm sure it doesn't include the new enforcers and chaos cultists. 

The only books that are truly essential are the core rulebook, which is available as stand-alone book or in the Underhive or Dark Uprising boxed sets.

The boxed set rules have all the rules to play, but only have two gangs (Escher and Goliath in Underhive; Corpse Grinders and Enforcers in Dark Uprising). Rules for all six of the “main” gangs are found in Gangs of the Underhive.

Rules for Chaos Cultist Gangs and Genestealer Cultist Gangs are free PDFs on GW’s website.

If you’re interested in one of the gangs in the starter sets, that’s probably the most cost effective way to buy. Even better if you can find someone to split the contents with.

The hardback Necromunda rulebook and Gangs of the underhive will get you all the basics needed with the 6 house gangs.  

book of peril,  book of judgement  and book of ruin add a bunch of stuff (as well as rules for venator (bounty hunter) gangs, enforcer gangs, and cult (genestealer, Helot and corpse grinder) gangs, respectively.

the softcover underhive book has outdated rules, and a limited set  for the Goliath and esher gangs.   The softcover Dark Uprising book  has a unique campaign, current rules, and rules for enforcer and corpse grinder gangs.

the house of chains book has fairly full rules for just Goliath gangs, and technically replaces the Goliath section of gangs of the underhive.

its a little all over, its true...  both of the box sets have great models and options for terrain.  They’re  a good value, but definitely on the pricy end.

ill also say, that while obviously not offically endorses by anyone on this forum, it is possible to find some digital versions in the seedier parts of the internet...

good luck!  Enjoy the underhive!