OFCC 40K Team Tournament INFO post

Huffnpuff

Thank you to all for the feedback and assistance in making sure this event goes off smoothly and everyone has a great time. If you have your team all set up please send me a PM here, on FB or via email at Jarredh@gmail.com. I will add your team name to the roster. You will still need to buy tickets, this is just to get an idea of who is bringing a team. Also let me know if you are in need of a player for your team, I will add that info next to your team name. 

Last thing, please consider booking a hotel room for the weekend. We are all hoping the COVID19 situation is resolved by July so if you have the financial means please consider booking it early. Info on that will be announced shortly if its not up already. 

Official announcements: This is the ONLY place I will post official announcements, rules updates, missions and other things useful for playing in the Team Tournament. I will copy and paste some things to FB with a link back to here. 

• 4-11-2020
    • Teams will be made up of 4 players per team
    • No faction restrictions will be set for teams
    • Terrain specifics will include several adaptations borrowed from the LVO (and other events) where I have seen them work really well. These will be outlined in the tournament packet but basically will include...No line of sight through the 1st floor of ruined buildings, If it sits it fits for flyers, use of enclosed ruins terrain on some tables, cargo containers and hills will count as "hills" for purposes of cover and charging, and using wobbly model rule to help with assaulting models inside ruins. These adaptations are widely used in casual play and tournaments to make the terrain we all have already be playable in 8th edition. 
    • New codex releases, rules updates and faction changes from GW will be used for anything which is released by GW, on or before July 11th 2020

image.png.cbf01ea7b1f2d4c142528982651be533.png

OFCC Team Tournament is back again! 5 rounds, 3 rounds on July 25th and 2 final rounds on July 26th 2020. 4 person teams, all new missions (with some historic elements still included). For those who do not know me, my name is Jarred and I live in Troutdale, OR. I have played in two OFCC tournaments (one in 1998ish and one in 2019) which I have enjoyed very much. I am honored to have been chosen to be HoG for this event. 

What is the same? 

• Same amazing location
  • Same terrific friends
  • Many of the same sponsors and great prize support
  • Same focus on "Fun games for all"
  • Still 4 person teams
  • Same 1st round "Grudge Match" parings by request

Whats new? ***New stuff is being edited and will be announced by 4/13/20.***

• New terrain setups for each table section
  • New terrain rules (some borrowed from the ITC)
  • New strategic parings for teams
  • New friends to be made

Get your teams together and signed up early for some great bonuses and extra prizes! 

Please note: Signup instructions, missions, team rules and all other tournament info will be coming shortly. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2020 at 11:09 PM, Huffnpuff said:

image.png.cbf01ea7b1f2d4c142528982651be533.png

OFCC stuff...

Whats new? 

• New terrain setups for each table section
  • New terrain rules (some borrowed from the ITC)
  • New guidelines for factions in each team
  • New strategic parings for teams
  • New friends to be made

Other stuff...

With all the things going on I get that we don't have much information.

One of the new things worries me, guidelines for the factions in each team. We Bellingham Warhamsters travel quite a ways and are a bit of an odd collection of armies. We don't invest in changing our armies every year and this could impact our ability to field teams.

With the OFCC fast approaching and how little time people will have leading up to it I feel (after too much time right now) we need to see these guidelines sooner rather than later.

Thank you @Huffnpuff excited to see some new HoG action!

• Like 3

Bellingham Warhamsters, (and everyone else) sorry for the delay of info, the COVID issue has me working nearly 7 days a week right now. So my intent to collaborate with several other people in Ordo on the changes has not really happened. So here it is, ill give you the short version of the changes. My hope is that they are not anything which would keep people from playing the army they love and playing on the teams they want to be on. This post is NOT the official packet, I will release an official packet soon with all finalized changes. If any of these changes are extremely burdensome to any player or team PLEASE email me directly with the concern jarredh@gmail.com . I will consider any issues carefully and adjust accordingly.  

The biggest items which may impact your armies and teams are as follows...

Team size will be 5 players per team (including the team captain), this adds some very fun and interesting strategy with parings. This combined with terrain variations on the tables will help with super tough parings. 

Each Faction can only be used once per team.

Individual factions are as follows...

Space Marines - Blood Angels - Dark Angels - Space Wolves - Deathwatch - Grey Knights - Legion of the Damned - Adeptus Custodes - Adeptus Mechanicus - Astra Militarum - Astra Telepathica - Adeptus Ministorum - Sisters of Silence - Questor Imperialis - Inquisition - Officio Assassinorum - Adepta Sororitas - Orks - Necron - T'au Empire - Tyranids - Genestealer Cult - Eldar Craftworld - Drukhari - Harlequins - Ynnari - Heretic Astartes - Chaos Daemons - Questor Traitoris - Deathguard - Thousand Sons

As a reference, each book point cost section will list the factions that are available, and each book may feature armies with specific common keywords that can be taken as well. Armies may include several detachments with different factions as long as they share a keyword. For any given single detachment, the common keyword cannot be Chaos, Imperium, Aeldari, Ynnari, or Tyranids, unless the Detachment in question is a Fortification Network. When mixed faction detachments like this are taken, remember that for army construction all constituent factions used will be used by the player and not available for any other players on the team. Remember that daemons cannot be used as a Faction in an army and then be summoned via another players reinforcement points, or taken in two different armies. Once one army has units of the daemon faction in a list, they are locked out of the team composition for the other players. Note that only one player on a team may summon daemons if the daemon faction has not been used in a list and more than one player has reinforcement points left that are eligible to summon daemons with. The same goes for other factions Page 11 like using assassins via ‘Operative Requisition Sanctioned’. Only one player may use the faction. This also counts for Space Marine supplements as they all count as faction Space marines.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

The rest of the information for army building, restrictions, etc. needs to be finalized and released soon. This has my team from ohio scrambling now as this has completely messed us up and we need to know the full extent of everything so we can make changes without having to change again once everything is finalized.

Craeat

Team Ordo East

• Like 2

Eager to come back for my 14th year at OFCC! Or is it 15th? I can't remember at this point. While this new team limitation doesn't affect Team Diversity very much (we always bring different armies for each person, hence the diversity), I feel that this will be quite a blow to a large number of teams that cannot afford to buy and make a new army at such a short notice. This announcement needed to come back in January, not April. With that said, I LIKE the change and what it is trying to do, don't get me wrong. My issue is the timing and the fact that there are many older gamers who cannot afford to/don't want to make a new army that come to OFCC as their only major 40k event each year. Any rule that restricts long-time members and participators out of hand without a recourse that doesn't cost 500+ dollars and/or 100+ hours of work painting and building cannot be for the good of the event. I feel that allowances should be made for some teams, like the Warhampsters who are all great guys and I love seeing them every year, to bend this new rule a bit.

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to this event! Now to find a fifth member.... Khan? Skipper? Don? Gotta send out the all-call!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ish said:

There's thirty-one factions to choose from. Call me a Pollyanna, but I gotta believe it should be possible to find a team of five that can cover that spread... 

That may be fine and dandy for people that are relatively local to build their teams, but I have 4 maybe 5 people flying all the way from Ohio for this event. And most of them only have one army. With Games Workshop closing everything down, people laid off or limited funds cuz covid 19, and the short time, it is impossible to come up with the army diversity in my team.

• Like 6

All.  Please be aware that as of right now, there will also be an individual 40k event running con-currently with the team event.  This is so that those that cannot meet a team event requirement, have another avenue.  

Do your part to destroy COVID so you can destroy (nicely and in the spirit of the OFCC) your opponent across from you.

Hope to see you all in July.

• Like 2

Get Off My LAN is facing some of the same issue that Ordo East is. We do not have to travel nearly as far, but we started planning the armies we are bringing July 2019 and we are running all Tau with each army themed around a different Caste (Earth, Air, Fire, Water).

Each list is focused on their Caste:

Fire - Farsight Enclaves - Bringing the Eight and some other things

Earth - Bork'an Sept - Bringing almost pure Forgeworld

Water - Dal'yth Sept - Approximately 50% Tau/Kroot/Vespid & 50% Guard being run as Gue'vesa

Air - T'au Sept - Mostly Stealth & Forgeworld Fliers

There is no possible way to completely restructure our entire plan (not to mention the theme being thrown out the window) in this time frame.

• Like 3

I am part of Get Of My LAN. While I like the idea here.  I feel it's bad timing.  With 3 months to go for the team event, and let's not mention with the covid-19 going on.  A lot of people have lost jobs or have hours reduced.

Along with Gw having closed all locations and the warehouse.  This is to soon of a time frame for many people to buy and paint a new army.  It also kills a lot of fluffy themes.

8 hours ago, Xavier319 said:

I feel that this will be quite a blow to a large number of teams that cannot afford to buy and make a new army at such a short notice. This announcement needed to come back in January, not April. With that said, I LIKE the change and what it is trying to do, don't get me wrong. My issue is the timing and the fact that there are many older gamers who cannot afford to/don't want to make a new army that come to OFCC as their only major 40k event each year. Any rule that restricts long-time members and participators out of hand without a recourse that doesn't cost 500+ dollars and/or 100+ hours of work painting and building cannot be for the good of the event. I feel that allowances should be made for some teams, like the Warhampsters who are all great guys and I love seeing them every year, to bend this new rule a bit.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Burk said:

All.  Please be aware that as of right now, there will also be an individual 40k event running con-currently with the team event.  This is so that those that cannot meet a team event requirement, have another avenue.  

Do your part to destroy COVID so you can destroy (nicely and in the spirit of the OFCC) your opponent across from you.

This solves all hardships and allows a few of the peeps to play Age of Sigmar! I might play Bloodbowl with my Lucky Gitz...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ish said:

There's thirty-one factions to choose from. Call me a Pollyanna, but I gotta believe it should be possible to find a team of five that can cover that spread... 

That would not really be a Pollyanna, but perhaps an optimistic perspective from a single (and perchance privileged) point of view. There may be 31 factions to choose from, but your assumption is that each player at OFCC has access to all 31 of those factions, and enough time and money to prepare a brand new army from now until the end of July. Additionally, we have multiple teams (mine included) that travel over 2,000 miles at great personal expense to attend an event that we believe in, an event that I have pushed and recruited people for over a decade and a half. The ability to simply 'find more people' or 'switch up teams' is not easy for those of us that do not live in the hallowed PNW anymore (and boy do I miss it).

19 hours ago, Burk said:

Burk, you know I love you man. We've known each other for a while now, and you also know I wont censor myself. I know you, and for all the German jokes, you're one of the most caring, giving, and selfless people I know (unless you're playing Blood Bowl), and Ordo would be nothing without the endless dedication of you and the rest of the Senators. Thank you for that. With that said, perhaps this statement was meant a different way, but this came across, to me at least, as "sorry our late decision makes it so you can't play in the event you want to, but here's this standard 40k event that isn't the one you came here to play, play in this one". I understand providing an alternative is gracious as hell of the HOG and the Senate, but I really feel that for teams such as Ordo East (as an example), in a tiny town with a single store, where almost everything is shut down and no one can buy anything, and who have already purchased their tickets and in some instances reserved hotel rooms, that is a bitter pill to swallow. This is assuming that I am not misunderstanding the intention of this co-current event. If this is a part of the OFCC team event, and just is a way for Ringers to participate without a team, then that might work. But a completely separate event just isn't the same.

I want to reiterate that this new limitation affects my team in no way, as we never double up on factions, and I LIKE the change and what it's trying to do. I approve of diversity and not just seeing a team of five marine players all with similar lists. It's just the short time frame combined with the current economic/pandemic situation that I am objecting to, and the fact that this decision will make it impossible for some players and even entire teams to not be able to participate. At a time like this, in the type of situation everyone is in with this pandemic, taking away something like playing in the OFCC team event for such a reason just feels against the spirit of what OFCC and Ordo Fanaticus is all about.

That being said all, this is just one person's opinion, and I will, of course, accept the final decision of the HOG and Senate. There are hundreds of small details that go on behind the scenes that we team captains and players do not understand or know about, and there could be a LOT more to this than we know. In the grand scheme of things, the Senate has never made a decision that they did not feel was in the best interest of the club, and I trust them. I simply am expressing my thoughts and feelings.

If I have offended anyone, I apologize, it was not my intention. I love all of you guys, I wouldn't save up several grand a year and fly 2,500 miles to spend a single weekend throwing dice and drinking if I didn't. This event and it's spirit simply matters a LOT to me. Thank you for your understanding, patience, and attention.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Burk said:

This does not help at all. Lots of people (myself included) come to OFCC for the Team Event. It is a relaxed and fun event. Telling people that they can play in a standard smash face tournament is like telling people "Hey I know you came prepped for , and were looking forward to some boozy kickball. But we do have this UFC cage match tournament set up just in case you can't meet the kickball requirements. " This does not help. 

19 hours ago, Ish said:

Again, not helping. You want to know what helping looks like, this is not it.

Yes there are 31 factions listed. I have one army: Space Marines. My Team Captain has one army: Space Marines. And while I may be lucky enough to be able to afford buying the models for a new army, I don't have anything close to the time to paint a 2,000 point army. And what about all the theme teams that come every year?  They prepped all year to bring a theme.  To make such a drastic change with three months to go, I don't think is appropriate. 

14 hours ago, Sume said:

This is to soon of a time frame for many people to buy and paint a new army.  It also kills a lot of fluffy themes.

This sums it up. What makes the Team Event so attractive to a lot of players is the fluff aspect. Its why I show up. If given enough time, I know our community can come up with fluffy themes and armies that fit the aforementioned criteria. I think a faction limit is a fine thing to do for OFCC 2021. But not for 2020.

Please reconsider. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Sugarlessllama said:

Yes there are 31 factions listed. I have one army: Space Marines. My Team Captain has one army: Space Marines. And while I may be lucky enough to be able to afford buying the models for a new army, I don't have anything close to the time to paint a 2,000 point army. And what about all the theme teams that come every year?  They prepped all year to bring a theme.  To make such a drastic change with three months to go, I don't think is appropriate.

These sort of restrictions probably should have been announced further out. (Although, who knows if we’ll even be allowed to hold OFCC in this, the endless Year of Grandfather Nurgle.)

Organizers should probably also have considered being a bit more lenient on the restriction of the mega-popular vanilla Space Marine Faction since it’s codex is basically doing quintuple duty as codices for multiple different chapters...

But I think an immediate solution for this specific problem is to either assemble a new team or reorginizd one of your vanilla Space Marine armies to one of the other six non-vanilla factions of Space Marine.

• Like 1

I want to thank everyone for their opinion. I'm sure an arrangement can be made, and @Huffnpuff will come up with a solution. I agree being 3 months to the event isn't much time to shift entire teams/armies that have probably been building over the last year. 

I think it sounds like everyone should do their best to spread out teams and try not to duplicate factions. This isn't anything new honestly, and always been something captains should be considering as OFCC is about flavor and providing good match-ups.

IMO, i think something like above being mentions should attempt to get no duplicates of factions, but if no solution can be found allowing up to 2 factions duplicated? More than 2, should probably split teams. Just an idea at a solution, but other thoughts?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Xavier319 said:

That would not really be a Pollyanna, but perhaps an optimistic perspective from a single (and perchance privileged) point of view. There may be 31 factions to choose from, but your assumption is that each player at OFCC has access to all 31 of those factions, and enough time and money to prepare a brand new army from now until the end of July. Additionally, we have multiple teams (mine included) that travel over 2,000 miles at great personal expense to attend an event that we believe in, an event that I have pushed and recruited people for over a decade and a half. The ability to simply 'find more people' or 'switch up teams' is not easy for those of us that do not live in the hallowed PNW anymore (and boy do I miss it).

Burk, you know I love you man. We've known each other for a while now, and you also know I wont censor myself. I know you, and for all the German jokes, you're one of the most caring, giving, and selfless people I know (unless you're playing Blood Bowl), and Ordo would be nothing without the endless dedication of you and the rest of the Senators. Thank you for that. With that said, perhaps this statement was meant a different way, but this came across, to me at least, as "sorry our late decision makes it so you can't play in the event you want to, but here's this standard 40k event that isn't the one you came here to play, play in this one". I understand providing an alternative is gracious as hell of the HOG and the Senate, but I really feel that for teams such as Ordo East (as an example), in a tiny town with a single store, where almost everything is shut down and no one can buy anything, and who have already purchased their tickets and in some instances reserved hotel rooms, that is a bitter pill to swallow. This is assuming that I am not misunderstanding the intention of this co-current event. If this is a part of the OFCC team event, and just is a way for Ringers to participate without a team, then that might work. But a completely separate event just isn't the same.

I want to reiterate that this new limitation affects my team in no way, as we never double up on factions, and I LIKE the change and what it's trying to do. I approve of diversity and not just seeing a team of five marine players all with similar lists. It's just the short time frame combined with the current economic/pandemic situation that I am objecting to, and the fact that this decision will make it impossible for some players and even entire teams to not be able to participate. At a time like this, in the type of situation everyone is in with this pandemic, taking away something like playing in the OFCC team event for such a reason just feels against the spirit of what OFCC and Ordo Fanaticus is all about.

That being said all, this is just one person's opinion, and I will, of course, accept the final decision of the HOG and Senate. There are hundreds of small details that go on behind the scenes that we team captains and players do not understand or know about, and there could be a LOT more to this than we know. In the grand scheme of things, the Senate has never made a decision that they did not feel was in the best interest of the club, and I trust them. I simply am expressing my thoughts and feelings.

If I have offended anyone, I apologize, it was not my intention. I love all of you guys, I wouldn't save up several grand a year and fly 2,500 miles to spend a single weekend throwing dice and drinking if I didn't. This event and it's spirit simply matters a LOT to me. Thank you for your understanding, patience, and attention.

Not offended at all. This is not a reaction to the times we are in.  This individual event was planned from the start.   Why you ask?  Because a person wanted to run one.  The OFCC is about the players and the HOGS and if a HOG wants to run an event that his player base asked for, and it is still put on in the spirit of the event, we will do what we can to make it work.

May it affect the size of the Team event,  perhaps, but it will likely increase participation in those that normally cannot make it.  Anyway,  more than willing to talk more about it, but I am not an english professor 🙂   love ya!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sugarlessllama said:

This does not help at all. Lots of people (myself included) come to OFCC for the Team Event. It is a relaxed and fun event. Telling people that they can play in a standard smash face tournament is like telling people "Hey I know you came prepped for , and were looking forward to some boozy kickball. But we do have this UFC cage match tournament set up just in case you can't meet the kickball requirements. " This does not help. 

SL.  I did not say smash face anywhere.  Any event will be in the spirit of OFCC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burk said:

... but I am not an english professor 🙂   love ya!

You should capitalize English. It's a.... never mind. I see what you did there.
Nah, it's not a product of the times at all. Like I said, I know you guys are doing what you feel is best, what was asked for, and what is best for the club. I SUPPORT you guys. Just the time table that I think is questionable. I love you too sweetums. <3

• Haha 2