OFCC 40K Team Tournament INFO post

Huffnpuff

For me as a captain the stress comes from having to add a person... Always seem to be one short or two extra who disappear when I lose a person I thought was locked. All that people management while trying to get an army together... I'm playing Malifaux right now! I don't want more 40k and while I'm pretty sure I could do chaos Marines my most likely fifth plays that so I'm doubled up again...

In years past we've missed out on points for not having a cohesive theme, this year it is adding tons of extra stress that we have so much overlap. <Shrugs> I'll work hard (like 105% not 110%) to make a team but failing that I might just go rogue and play a little blood bowl or stay home with my fate deck.

Splitting teams is not an option as we barely have one team worth of 40kers left.

• Like 4

Killing themed teams is a buzzkill.  No daemon teams with each person rocking a different mark.  No Ork WAAAAGH with different klan kulturs to represent the Great Waaaaggghhhhh coming together.

Limiting one 'book' per team seems to not be in the spirit of OFCC.  IMO, it greatly impacts the hobby aspect and its forcing teams to play armies they don't want to.

Now, I know this doesn't effect every team but I would assume this is affecting a good majority of teams.

I'll use my position as an example.  I posted months ago that i was looking for a team.  I started a blood angels progress and I've been working on conversions and purchashed a bunch of Primaris and all the assassins.  Now i may not even be able to use Assassin's if someone else on my team is?  At that point i wasted a lot of money and then i need to find a team who isn't playing blood angels?  Again, if that isn't an option, a bunch of wasted money and time trying to put together an army for this event.

Again, it just seems like restricting hobby is against what OFCC represents.

• Like 3

Just to chime in from an organizer’s side:

Khan and I can take the blame for this announcement coming on the ‘late’ end.

Jarred has had plans in the works, and was ready to make this announcement when we originally planned to launch tickets.   Unfortunately , that date in mid March came right as Oregon and Washington starting having official restrictions on gatherings.  

We held back from having our cohesive launch for all events and tickets as we scrambled to communicate with the hotel, and amongst the senate, and figure out what type of plan seemed to make the most sense.  As @DisruptiveConduct has stated elsewhere.   We are currently planning to move forward, 100% planning to have OFCC as scheduled.   We’ll know better in the next couple months if that’s still realistic.    

I’m sorry that this post came ahead of more general info on what events will be happening, but I trust y’all can understand why that had been the case.   There’s lots of uncertainty on all fronts right now.  

if you’re concerned about the format and changes, about the viability of your team, etc, you are certainly welcome to voice that here.  If you feel like you’re not being heard, or have concerns that you don’t want to share publicly, please pm khan or I, and we’ll make sure to address anything that needs to be addressed.

I don’t think anyone should feel like they should not attend if they’re not 100% in compliance with the restrictions that have been outlined.    The format is  coming from a place of attempting to address concerns that have been felt in past years.  If you specifically have a team that won’t fit in, reach out and ask for an exception to be made.  If you are short on players, reach out to any of the senate, and we will look to find ways to fill spots, recruit players, or adjust matchups. This is all for fun.   None of it is set in stone.

If you have really strong opinions on what the state of the game is, how the event should be run, and what suits the attendees of of OFCC, the best way to express that is to apply to be a Head of Gaming for an event. (This is me putting my grumpy hat on and coming out on my porch). A tremendous amount of effort goes into all of this, and none of it is presented carelessly or without forethought.  Ordo relies on people volunteering to run these events.  Please be mindful in how you voice your concerns.   We all want this to be successful and a fun time. 

Thanks for your support.   Thanks for caring enough about this game and hobby that you have opinions to express.   And thanks for your trust that we’ll make this an event that we can all enjoy.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, ninefinger said:

if you’re concerned about the format and changes, about the viability of your team, etc, you are certainly welcome to voice that here.  If you feel like you’re not being heard, or have concerns that you don’t want to share publicly, please pm khan or I, and we’ll make sure to address anything that needs to be addressed.

Thank you, Ninefinger.  I didn't get the impression from any of the posts that people where being grumpy.  I know I was kinda bummed upon seeing it though.  I can understand where you guys are coming from as organizers though.  For us the players though.  I still feel that we where not given an aqueduct amount of time to know these changes.  This will be my 5th OFCC event.  With 3 of them being in the 40k team format.  I think that this announcement was a huge system shock to people.  As myself and my team been planning a Tau theme since July.  I am sure if we had known this earlier.  Myself and my team would had figured out what we wanted to bring instead.  

Not your fault, that Oregon and Washington had lock downs right when you planned on announcing tickets and the event format.  As far as I know, the 40k team format has been 4 person teams for a long while now.  I first heard about you guys back in 2012, from some players in Salem. 

Hope, that we still can have the event this year.  I do want to say I am not against this new restriction or format.  I think it be better for next year, so people have more time to prepare for it, and also ask about special themes.  As I know the 4 demon army with a different mark of chaos was brought up, or my team's theme of the Tau society armies.  I rather see fun fluffy teams first and for most.  As this event is usually my only big thing I do all year, and probably all the war gaming I get to do for the year.  

• Like 3

I think everyone in North America is feeling a bit more grumpy than normal these days. Cabin fever for many who are stuck at home, sheer overwork for those still working, financial worries for all of us, and so on and so forth. We might not mean to be grouchy towards each other, but everyone is a little on edge.

And, let’s face it, text isn’t the best medium for communicating nuance. It’s very easy for someone to type something they intend to be sarcasm or hyperbole, but for the person reading it to interpret it as an insult or an untruth.

We should all cut each other some slack.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, VonVilkee said:

For me as a captain the stress comes from having to add a person... Always seem to be one short or two extra who disappear when I lose a person I thought was locked.

Yeah, I remember trying to get a team of 5 together the first couple of years. It was a serious relief to step down to 4s. Plus, with 4s, there's a way to handle an odd number of teams, which is cool.

• Like 3

For the benefit of all involved I am revising my previous plan. Thank you to everyone who has voiced their opinion, and thank you for everyone keeping a cool head about it. I would like to bounce some ideas about factions around at the ORDO senate meeting but for now please know that the restrictions will be relaxed significantly. I will finalize the specifics after this weekend. Team size is going to remain at 4 as in previous years. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

2 hours ago, Huffnpuff said:

For the benefit of all involved I am revising my previous plan. Thank you to everyone who has voiced their opinion, and thank you for everyone keeping a cool head about it. I would like to bounce some ideas about factions around at the ORDO senate meeting but for now please know that the restrictions will be relaxed significantly. I will finalize the specifics after this weekend. Team size is going to remain at 4 as in previous years. 

look at this guy....sooooo cool.  You should all thank him.  

Seriously I am waiting for thank you's......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Huffnpuff said:

Thank you! You huffed, puffed, and blew us all away! (In a good way)

• Like 3

The Infil-traitors have always been chaos based armies. We each use a Chaos God per player. Two of our players just shelled out serious money to build interesting armies for this tourney...

Maybe the rule should be All or Nothing: Either everyone shares faction and different aspects or no one does?

Update: we are all fine with using different codexes.

• Like 4

The idea seems to be to discourage cookie-cutter, net-list, Win At All Costs style armies... Which I think we can all agree is a laudable goal. But perhaps this was an over correction.

Maybe some sort of bonus points awarded to teams that field armies of diverse factions, as an incentive to encourage the practice but without making it mandatory?

Teams fielding themed collective armies wouldn’t get those points, but would theoretically make it up in a sportsmanship or best theme sort of award.

• Like 2

I have updated the main post with the changes. Thank you to everyone for the well thought out and kind suggestions and explanations of your specific situations. I really do like my own ideas LOL however I am humbled and inspired by the knowledge, wisdom and experience of my fellow gamers here at ORDO. I hope I did not ruffle anyone too much, I know this will be an incredible event and will be EXACTLY what we all need after the current lockdown. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Huffnpuff said:

I have updated the main post with the changes. Thank you to everyone for the well thought out and kind suggestions and explanations of your specific situations. I really do like my own ideas LOL however I am humbled and inspired by the knowledge, wisdom and experience of my fellow gamers here at ORDO. I hope I did not ruffle anyone too much, I know this will be an incredible event and will be EXACTLY what we all need after the current lockdown. 

I both like and want to thank you! Appreciate the ideas and look forward to your stint as HoG!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...