OFCC Vampires

revised list includes: toned down lord of the dragon, removed 3rd unit of zombies for wolf chaff, removed Mortis engine for Black Coach, modified bsb vamp hero build.

Drak on Azul the Twilight Lord (Vampire Lord)

lv 2 lore of vamps

+ Nightshroud

+ Talisman of Preservation

+ Curse Of The Covenant

+ Quickblood

+ Lance

+ Shield

+ Heavy Armour

+ Zombie Dragon

Nyx, Drak's consort (Vampire)

lv 2 lore of vamps

+ Armour of Destiny

+ Quickblood

+ Summon Creatures Of The Night

+ Additional Hand Weapon

+ Shield

+ Battle Standard

+ Coven Throne

Franco the cursed (Necromancer)

lv 1 lore of vamps

+ Dispel Scroll

+ Ironcurse Icon

Koffin Wood ghouls (40 Crypt Ghouls)

village peasants (30 Zombies)

+ Musician

+ Standard Bearer

the missing militia (30 Zombies)

+ Musician

+ Standard Bearer

Felbeasts of the forest (5 Dire Wolves)

+ Doom Wolf

Felbeasts of the forest (5 Dire Wolves)

+ Doom Wolf

Koffin Wood horrors (9 Crypt Horrors) (3x3 formation)

+ Crypt Haunter

Koffin Wood bats (2 Fell Bats)

Forsaken Souls (1 Spirit Host)

Forsaken Souls (1 Spirit Host)

the Corpse Collector (Corpse Cart)

Asmodeous the fallen (Black Coach)

Are you looking for feedback? If so Drak you're not going to appreciate what I have to say.

This army is not in the spirit or function of the team event. I'm sorry it isn't.

Blender lord on Night dragon with shroud is far and away too powerful

(For those that don't know, ASF, Extra attacks for unsaved wounds,str 7 on charge, 2+, 4+ ward, all enemies in BTB count as ASL, -1 to hit, and opponent rerolls successful wards in Btb)

Other characters are fine

Min garbage core is expected.

Huge crypt horror bus + mortis engine is super powerful already.

Ethereal chaff...

When added up this really falls outside of anything I am comfortable approving.

Super beatdown characters and huge combo power is not where I'd like to see this go.

If approved know this is on the high side of 4 and treading dangerously close to 5.

hero, that's exactly the kind of honest feedback I'm looking for. thank you.

a couple of questions for you:

1) I am dying to play a lord on a dragon, if I rebuilt to a lv 3 Vamps wizard with curse of the revenant (+1 wound) and beguile instead of the stock quickblood+red fury for less overwhelming kill power and more if a survivability role would that be sufficient toning down of my main character?

2) you called the crypt horrors a "bus" and by that I took it to mean you though my lone necro on foot would be joining them. there intended use is as an anvil (3x3). is it the number of them or the addition of the Mortis engine (one more point of regen) or both? that makes them huge combo power?

3) does two units of ethereal chaff make that much of a difference? I've found them

to be an annoyance to my opponents but something that can be easily dealt with.

4) any suggestions for keeping a similar list that would be more with your (and anyone else's) idea of an OFCC list would be appreciated.

1) a Vamp lord on Dragon.is fine if you tone it down a few notches. A lord with "just" stock gear, caster levs and some survival tech is fine. (Big fan of charmed shield+ ToP) and some less purely OTT killing. Maybe just ASF

2) Bus just means long narrow unit.with or without characters. 4+ poison regeneration guys that regain wounds easily can be pretty hard core.

3) solo hosts are great. Solo hosts when you have a super murder machine can break the game quickly. If the dragon vamp is toned down sure.

4) Tone down the dragon, add some more chaff (dire wolves) and throw in some unit not often encountered (coach,vargheist )

cool. I'll work on My general's build. charmed shield is sooooo over used I'm going to stay away from that. but retooling him to fir a different role is doable.

I don't see horrors in 3x3 formation as a bus, but a solid anvil. and yes they regain wounds but not much when it's (1+ wizard level) per casting of ion (which any and every opponent sees coming) and my biggest wizard is current a lv 2.

I had a coach in the list in place of the Mortis engine but the engine gives waaaay more utility to the army than a coach. which is the point of the engine so it makes sense. I've played near a dozen games where the coach is simply a very expensive redirect/chaff staller and almost always fails to charge up(one of it's cool factors, IMO).

I specifically want to include the corpse cart for the rarely taken and fun customizable aspect as it can't keep up in a snails race. hell, dwarves are faster than that thing!

Hero, one of us needs to look the word 'Bus' up... because I have always understood it to be a "vehicle (see unit) that drives children (see squishy target) where they need to go while providing protection (see protection)". a long line of dudes blocking shooting/charges is usually called a "Screen" while a long line of dudes in single file is often referred to as a "conga".  Conga's out of hand are pretty much flat out lame and against the spirit of OFCC. A screen on the other hand is a pretty valid tactic though a screen of 9x1 Regening 40mm's would be pretty cheesy and not very "spirity of the eventy".

BUT... just because a guy puts a 9 count unit of regening 40mm's on the table does not mean that is a tactic even considered (possible, yes, but not a given). If a player with such a unit reverted to such a tactic in game, then it is their opponents call as to how cheesy it is via the sports vote. But assuming that a certain size block will be used in a certain way is a very limiting form of judgement.

the revised list still has the models I want to field (helpful as I've already invested time into customizing them) while reducing to ott killing power and hard combos. I am playing around with trying out summon creatures in this list but I don't feel like that is a game changer.

thoughts now?

The dragon is going to wreck some faces, but its big gamble having an undead general on his own like that.  I'd say the list is pretty balanced, though I can see where it might get iffy for lists that have no way of dealing with that kind of a threat.  But in a competition where it's known that people can, and are encouraged to, take big monsters, I think most armies should have tools available to fight back.

the dragon himself dies very easily, with only t6 and a lonely 5+ armor save. most armies have great weapon wielding foot troops that have dealt with him in games I've played. and yes I also expect plenty of people to bring anti-monster stuff as the arcanum and storms is open to us.

heck that's in large part what my spirit host are here for!

I agree if (when) Drak dies my army suffers. his ability to survive and be useful is paramount to any game strategy I might have. that being said I love charging him I'm against other mighty characters for the awe inspiring CHALLENGE!!! factor.

Drak- are you inventing new powers? Curse of the covenant?. Lol j/k I know what you meant. I still have issues with the night shroud being on a model with that base size, any hope of swapping for another item?

To fit theme you really need Aspect of the dread knight for challenge fun!. (I'd be okay if you took dreadknight, ToTS and dragonhelm even... It's way more fluffy)

The rest looks much improved.

thanks for your input hero.

I'm going to keep the nightshroud as I want my main character to get into the thick of things and have a solid chance at surviving (crumble and all being too devastating to go with less). and while it's a large base effect, it does only effect the front rank (b2b contact). as a character that almost comes on at 700 pts, I think the changes will allow him to do what he should, add the only real hitting power in the list and survive a few rounds of combat.

I thought about dread knight but it's entirely to easy to negate this entire model by throwing a champion in front of him to go the "have to challenge route".

anyone else have some input they would like to share? many voices make for more fun :)

the dragon himself dies very easily, with only t6 and a lonely 5+ armor save. most armies have great weapon wielding foot troops that have dealt with him in games I've played. and yes I also expect plenty of people to bring anti-monster stuff as the arcanum and storms is open to us.

heck that's in large part what my spirit host are here for!

I agree with you on the dragon.  I put this towards the bottom of the dragon list for most effective lord/dragon combos.  I commend you on using a dragon and coven throne in your list.  I also like the 9 horrors.  You're not taking black knights, blood knights, cairn wraiths, banshees, or hexwraiths.

Honestly, your primary combat threat is the unit of horrors.  The lord and coven throne are support chargers, and the ghouls are there to hold a unit in place.

Personally, I like the list. Paraphrasing MexicanNinja, there are a ton of stuff that you could be taking that would be the asspain-staple of vamp lists, but you're not, and that's commendable. I love the chaff/redirectors in the list. In an army that doesn't move as fast as you might want, the redirectors will give you some spacing and board control back. Lord on Dragon is awesome. I'd say deck him the eff out. There isn't much punch to your list save the horrors and support throne, so you need some hitting power. With the threat of being cannoned as a lone target, coupled with potential crumble factor if you lose him, it is more than acceptable to make him a very tough focal point for your army, both tactics-wise and modeling possibilities.

I don't get the 'bus' comment either. There isn't anything that's MI to bus. If by 'bus' you mean star, 9 is way too few for a star, you'd need at least 18 to get that third rank's attacks in. If anything, it is just a very tough unit, and only one out of 13 units. Ghouls will likely have some decent hitting power, but die in droves, so its better for pitting than anything else, so I think the Horrors have an acceptable quantity as an offensive unit with some staying power.

I'd say it's a solid list.

Hero. I think you are out voted on the meaning of "Bus" in regard to a WFB unit. That I can see, there is no meaning in the word "bus" to indicate long and narrow... only indicating something that "carries". Unless you want to extract the "having a long body" part and ignore the fact that it is that way to carry something.

bus1 [buhs] Show IPA

noun, plural bus·es, bus·ses.

a large motor vehicle, having a long body, equipped with seats or benches for passengers, usually operating as part of a scheduled service; omnibus.
a similar horse-drawn vehicle.
a passenger automobile or airplane used in a manner resembling that of a bus.
any vehicle operated to transport children to school.
a low, movable filing cabinet.

Bus formation refers to the narrowest possible unit that can exist and still count a rank bonus.  It has a term because it is a direct tactical counter to horde formation, when you value attacks over ranks.  Anything in the middle has to be specified.  If somebody says bus, you immediately assume a minimum frontage and max ranks, even if there are only a handful of additional ranks.

No the bus formation is not about rank bonuses.  The most effectivew bus formation is the 10 skeleton unit.  2x10.  That's the classic bus.  The deathstar is the delivery system for characters.  If I saw someone take a horde unit with 9+models and go 2 wide I would just start to laugh.  That's the biggest waste of points.

Definitions from the desk of Talapas:

Bus: Unit designed to get Characters into combat. Classic bus is Bret Knight unit with lord, sorceress, and double hero.

Screening unit: Unit designed to cover, draw fire, and redirect. Also used to protect main units from being flanked. Composition depends on army and purpose. Skink skirmishers are an example of a screening unit.

Deathstar: A very large unit that is the ultimate in points denial and destruction. It may or may not include characters. Usually is 40+ of elite infantry troops, or 15+ or monstrous troops. Sometimes appears as a horde.

• Like 5