Dim and Slimeridden Kingdoms: Return of the Greatest Power For Evil

Rhaexorog, the lord of all, protector of what lies beyond
The greatest of the chosen ones, anointed of the netherslugs
For us to see his glistening skin is to know true pain within the flames
Ejected from his pneumastome, defender of the Mucus Throne

Fw0ngnN.jpg

Some time ago (2ish years? 3 years?), I started up a blog for an Infernal Dwarf army, titled "The Greatest Power For Evil." The title was a play on this video, which has remained a favorite of mine over the years (*language warning*):

The project didn't last super long; Anyone who knows me knows that I'm notorious for starting army projects, only to abandon them halfway through and sell the army and move on to some other project. I was about that point into the ID army and I hit that same wall: I wasn't happy with the models, I wasn't happy with the basing, I wasn't happy with the army I had (I wanted to play pretty much the other half of the army book that I didn't own). So i sold the army and moved on.

Some time later, I came across these awesome models from Scibor miniatures:

CGIUePC.jpg?2

Awesome models, but what would someone use them for? They were big, seemingly overflowing on their 50mm base. They look like they would fit comfortably on a 50x75 base though... Maybe they could be used as Taurukh Anointed (Bull Centaurs in Old World speak)? If I'm being honest, the whole "Fire and Bulls" theme that Chaos / Infernal Dwarves are traditional depicted doesn't do a ton for me. But degenerate evil dwarves riding giant snails... hmmm...

I poured over the Scibor range, poured over the internet, and this idea of having an entire army of Infernal Dwarves that was centered around gastropods and other gross creepy crawlies took hold, and refused to leave my brain. Fast forward several years later, and here we are. 

57yN5rn.jpg?1

While the goal of my previous army was to do things as cheaply as possible, this army was going to be a hobby army, and I don't want to compromise on my vision for it. To that end, I've forked over waaaaaay to much money to Scibor for their minis, which are not cheap; But they do go on sale from time to time. 

The first part of the army: Taurukh Anointed with Infernal Weapons, shields, full command, and Banner of Shamut. In the unit goes a Taurukh Subjugator (BSB) with a Great Weapon and Death Cheater. I got the snails all cleaned, which was fairly easy (these things are pretty hefty chunks of resin, almost no mold lines to clean) and got them on bases. I had to finagle them a bit so they would rank up, but was fairly painless.

UN1z86q.jpg?1

Next up was the Subjegator. Since I wanted him holding a great weapon, I decided to mount the Battle Standard to the snail.Nothing too crazy, added a pin in the handle and drilled a hole into the shell. Flag is from the GW Ogre Mournfang box, and topper is from... either Blight Kings or Plague Drones kit.

g11KsR2.jpg?1

oecoOtz.jpg?1

WoEpcJv.jpg?1

The rider was a bit trickier. I've never been great at pinning weapons into place, but I used a weapon from the previous Chaos Knights kit as a great weapon, and added some different horns (from the Chaos Knights banner topper) to make him more distinct from the rest of the models. 

xmezr6l.jpg?1

GzwNJVr.jpg?1

JOnjAjg.jpg?1

Also got through the unit's command. One of the biggest challenge is trying to make these models differentiate from each other, since there are really only 2 sculpts for both the riders and the snails. Banner Bearer got his helmet's horns hacked off and was given a banner from the Bloodletter kit and a piece of metal rod (yes, I will clean up that mold line).

JqNpdQu.jpg?1

OaCyED9.jpg?1

Musician and Champion were more straight forward; The normal models, but the sword and the instrument came from the good ol' Chaos Knights kit.

avCh10L.jpg?1

1DMQhQV.jpg?1

And that's it for tonight! Very stoked for this project, hopeful to get the other 2 riders assembled and get everything staged for sub-assembly painting tomorrow so I can put together the infantry over the weekend. Until next time!

Lord Yeth’Shuul bless you, children of Slish 

• Like 3

Cursed words, scribed in slime
Spoken in reverse when the stars are aligned
Only under the black sun, may these mortals partake in his conjuration
Trapped in a spell of the Gastronomicon.

90519.hq.jpg

Actually completed my hobby goals for this weekend!... mostly. Still, I'm as surprised as anyone. Remaining Anoited riders were cleaned and assembled, and all of them where staged for priming and painting (they will all have shields, except for the Subjegator, but those will be painted last).

Lk53Qvh.jpg?1

yBjzdw3.jpg?1

Next up is the infantry. Plan is to run 3 units of 10 Citadel Guard with shields and Flintlock Axes. Got some more beautiful minis from Scibor to use. I originally anticipated this part to be pretty easy, however I didn't realize that the weapon shafts would be split in half. I ended up pinning all of them in place for stability, which took forever!

X6tuvhy.jpg?1

rP4pgHB.jpg?1

JzPDpqK.jpg?1

5osrF29.jpg?1

So 18 more to go (I managed to finish 2 more, not pictured)! Hope to have them done in the next few days, and then I can move on to something LARGER (Bwa ha ha ha!), Until then!

Lord Yeth’Shuul bless you, children of Slish 

• Like 1

Snails, slugs, and all the other creepy-crawlies that live under rocks makes a much more fitting aesthetic match for the evil dwarf archetype than GW’s “Mesopotamian Fire Worshipper” idea... And I’ve never seen anyone else do it. 

I’m genuinely excited to see how this army of your unfolds (and kinda wish I had a few hundred bucks to spare so I could steal emulate the idea.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ish said:

Snails, slugs, and all the other creepy-crawlies that live under rocks makes a much more fitting aesthetic match for the evil dwarf archetype than GW’s “Mesopotamian Fire Worshipper” idea... And I’ve never seen anyone else do it. 

I’m genuinely excited to see how this army of your unfolds (and kinda wish I had a few hundred bucks to spare so I could steal emulate the idea.)

Thank you! Very excited to do some more reveals for model; This was a project that sort of "burrowed" (pun intended?) itself into my brain, and it was supper thrilling to find models that actually matched up with my ideas.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And the slithering begins
As the shell of men crawl weeping
And as the light of dawn is growing
The realization sets in
And with the winds that are blowing
The final truth has come

i6dfhocha6221.jpg

I did some stuff! Slimy stuff! This week has been extremely busy with work, and I've been coming home exhausted, but I put in a little time and managed to finish my Infernal Engine! 

OVpnbPw.jpg?1

The model is yet another Scibor beauty, the appropriately named "Evil Dwarves Snail Cannon." I could have probably could have just used the model as is and called it good, but I wanted to add some more "engine" to the model, so to that end I picked up a pair of spooky exhaust pipes from the 40K Mauler/Forgefiend models off of Feebay.

q1D7AYx.jpg?1

While the cannon bits from the original model are awesome, I plan to run this guy with the "Steam Hammers" option rather than the Shrapnel Gun, so to that end I decided to just have a trio of Evil Dwarves on the top to smack stuff to represent this. The model came with 2 great crew members, and then I had my Overlord from my previous ID army kicking around, so he got to join the crew.

7w4J4Fc.jpg?1

So the model concept was fairly simple: Take the original models and slap some exhaust pipes on it. It did take a bit of work to find just the right spots on the model though; lots of trial and error, lots of shaving of sections of the model so the pipes fit a bit more snugly. I ended up pinning the pipes into place on both sides for stability, and while it took a while, I was very happy with the results.

9ZiiO2V.jpg?1

0TP0JNF.jpg?1

n7UrXu8.jpg?1

9McWefv.jpg?1

4qBz10x.jpg?1

2EvC86V.jpg?1yG9DRBC.jpg?1
4f2f3x2.jpg?2

A bit less exciting, but another 10 Citadel Guard assembled and based. 

SrWXdhc.jpg?1

Have a few more awesome things in the works, although I am a bit at the mercy of international shipping. Hopefully not too long before I can post an update... If I run out of things to assemble, I might actually have to start painting... *shudder*

Lord Yeth’Shuul bless you, Children of Slish 

• Like 7

Oh man, can't wait to see this on the table one day. Question: How is working with the resin? I allegedly have a model coming from Mierce... sometime... and I've never worked with resin before. I've read that pinning is basically mandatory and that I should wash it before priming. Is there anything else I need to know? Oh and wear PPE if I'm going nuts with a file or something. And don't cut, saw as it can snap. I'm hoping I won't need to do much of that anyway.

7 hours ago, valourunbound said:

Oh man, can't wait to see this on the table one day. Question: How is working with the resin? I allegedly have a model coming from Mierce... sometime... and I've never worked with resin before. I've read that pinning is basically mandatory and that I should wash it before priming. Is there anything else I need to know? Oh and wear PPE if I'm going nuts with a file or something. And don't cut, saw as it can snap. I'm hoping I won't need to do much of that anyway.

That all sounds about right! My personal experience with resin varies from not great (china-cast) to pretty good (Scibor). Some resin can be fairly brittle and requires a soft hand. One thing they all have had in common, in my experience, is that I've had to use Green Stuff in addition to my usual glue (Loctite Gel Control) in order to get a bond going in any reasonable amount of time, although that could be an issue with the glue and not the resin? I've mostly been ok with just using the Green Stuff rather than pinning, except on the fiddly bits like the spear hafts for my Infernal Guard and the exhaust pipes for the Infernal Engine that was sitting on an uneven curved surface.

PPE is probably a good idea too. I should have used some...

• Like 2

PPE is only needed if sawing/sanding. It's not inherently toxic, it just grinds into extremely fine particles that can damage your lungs. This also means that the mask you use needs to be a good one, capable of stopping those extremely fine particles. A bandana ain't gonna cut it here.

Also, washing before assembly is really important, and can help mitigate the need for pinning or other reinforcement. The mold release agents used in resin casting are also very effective glue/paint release agents, so if you don't get that cleaned completely off, it can make for some serious issues.

• Like 1

You should also wash your hands after sawing, sanding, or drilling resin models. You don’t want to accidentally rub your nose and inhale some of those particles that way and god forbid you get them in your eye.

But I think we’ve all learned the importance of hand washing these last few weeks.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Mucus from the poison abyss
enthroned in the putrescent Gardens of Slish
beyond the black gulf of unending time
hideous nebulae woven in slime

main-qimg-6bca48a9af59f9dd198dcc9e5aba32

I'm in the home-stretch of assembly! Was able to put together my general for this army: An Overlord on a Great "Snail" of Shamut. The Snail was yet another Scibor model, the "Rotten Lord on Mutant Snail," It is essential the same model as the other model I have for my Infernal Engine, but without the platform on top.

rotten_lord_on_snail_p_02.jpg

Biggest problem, of course, is that I need an evil dwarf to ride it, not some rotten dude! So, in interest of staying true to the idea of this army matching up with my vision of it, I forked over the money to buy THIS awesome model, only to pluck the rider off of it.

tzar_on_war_bull_01.jpg

So if anyone is in need of a winged bull or a Rotten Lord, I've got them sitting in a drawer...

SO, now that I have the mount and the rider, this sucker needed to fly! I thought of just taking the bull's wings and sticking them on the snail, but it looked really out of place. I thought of leaving the model as is; I had read on the forums that, lore-wise, the "Fly" special rule for Infernal Dwarves was supposed to be representative of "volcanic tunneling." In the end, I settled adding in a little dwarven engineering by adding some turbines (right word?) to the model from the Bloat Drone 40K kit, and I'm fairly happy with the results.

0u0ukn0.jpg?1

Emmr21M.jpg?1

h6xiRKS.jpg?1

KXp1YPZ.jpg?1

The other thing that I got to work on was my Taurukh. So if my Taurukh Anointed are Dwarves riding giant snails, "regular" Taurukh should be similar, but less so, right? After scouring the internet, I came across these models, from Toad King Castings, and the seemed to fit the bill perfectly, as they could easily be mounted on cav bases. Luckily I was able to grab a 3 sets of them before they were sold out.

s765470553608717812_p4_i6_w640.jpeg

As for the riders, it's very hard to find a Dwarf riding a cav sized mount, save for those uuuuuugy Kings of War badger riders. So I thought, why not a (hob)goblin? The GW goblin riders were my original idea, but I was not too crazy about their cartoony look for this particular army. Luckily, I stumbled on the Oathmark Goblin Wolf Rider minis that came out... last month?

Box-Cover.jpg?fit=1024,576&ssl=1

It certainly wasn't a perfect fit for these two models to come together (Goblin's legs were too narrow to fit around the slug), but after some trial and error, I settled on repositioning the legs using the trusty hobby knife and greenstuff, and am extremely happy with the results.

rv3D8Ua.jpg?1

oBEXG2L.jpg?1

Once I get my two units of 5 finished, I have one last unit to put together before it's priming time! Until then...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Sickening sounds of tearing flesh
Archaic Yuggothian rites
Moss covers a fractured skull
A horrifying sight

Mold spores reign, forever night
Humans writhe and squirm
Sentient life extinguished here
In the realm of The Great Worm

Drowned in Eldritch Slime
Fungal asphyxiation
Drowned in Eldritch Slime
Formless domination 

EN4U63P.jpg?1

So it ended up being a very productive weekend! Not only did I finish up my Taurukh, but also my unit of Hobgoblins with spears, meaning I am 100% assembled!

Taurukhs came out very well, IMO, and I'm super pleased seeing them all together in their respective units! Only minor inconvenience was that the slugs I used from Toad King came in packs of 3, so I ended up with 9 models when I needed 10; Really, I should have just ordered another 3 and had some extras, but hindsight is 20/20 I suppose. Still, it wasn't an issued to double base a model.

KS3ZRIG.jpg?1

VPICVIY.jpg?1

Next up was the Hobgoblins. First thing was the big ol' unit filler, which comes about as close to me having a full GW model in the army. The model is the mount for the "Horticulous Slimux" set that I bought with the intent of having it be one of the characters, possible the Overlord or the BSB. When I put it together, I was very disappointed with how small it was (keep it clean, people) for the $55 I paid. I guess that's GW for you.

QSk4NQa.jpg?1

Then for the rest of the unit, the actual Hobgoblins. These are yet more Oathmark miniatures, and I was overall very happy with them. I think they fit the bill of being more "hob" than "goblin." Only issues I really had were that I had to chop their feet away from the plastic ovals they were cast into (I hate those!) and that the heads were not the greatest. But again, overall happy.

jmZPFUe.jpg?1

bWEyxrI.jpg?1

Next up, a Hobgoblin Chieftain of a "Wolf Spider." This was tricky, as I had to cut away 2 of the spider's legs i order to fit the chief on, the  re-glue them. Ultimately, I would have liked to have had the rider's legs higher up or bent further back, but with my limited skills I'll settle for this for now.

cJDMSH5.jpg?1
h5HXVbN.jpg?1

Ok, so THIS guy I've actually had for a while. A Reaper Bones mini that I don't recall the name of that I bought for my Warriors army but didn't use. Tons of gap, and I really dislike the soft materials the Bones models use, but hard to beat a model of this size for ~$35. Plan is to use it for my Titan, probably. 75% sure I will, but I have one other possibility,  so we'll see!

3RKKOJq.jpg?1

bsJWVjt.jpg?1

And finally, a few of these little gross things from the Gellerpox Infected set from GW. The plan is to run the Citadel Guard units without banners, so these guys will slot into their place and give me some options. Plus, I think it helped tie those units in a wee bit more with the army's theme.

xuWll69.jpg?1

jCVFOhm.jpg?1

abCN6Jx.jpg?1

And that's all for now! Big update, bigger still as I managed to get the whole thing primed yesterday and have started working on my first model, testing out a color scheme. Hopefully, some actual painting updates soon!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Pecksata said:

I want to see this done at OFCC

What a coincidence, so do I!

As a note, I didn't do my research on Reaper Bones miniatures, and after priming my big Titan model, it's all tacky and gross. So now I need to decide if I want to try and salvage it, or go with this model that came in the mail today...

Oh wait, I have to do the usual intro... *cough*

Spooky slug lyrics

From heavy metal songs about slugs

Wait, aren't there more snails in your army than slugs?

Hey, how about you shut up?!?!

latest?cb=20140518170510&path-prefix=pro

Anyway, I got this model in from Etsy. I need to see if I can make it look less "3-D printed," but for like $10 I had to order it, lol

cseEgbL.jpg?1

yi69D6K.jpg?1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Blame it on my mucus trail....

In other Gastropoda related news, whilst helping my daughter browse Etsy for doll customization stuff, I found these adorable little doll house snails. At $15.00 USD per, they might be a bit spendy, but if you added a couple to the base (or maybe even perched on the helmet) of infantry champions or foot-slogging heroes, they could help tie them to the rest of the theme.

image.jpeg.074e6a00669d1e473a481cb2cde20e1b.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ish said:

In other Gastropoda related news, whilst helping my daughter browse Etsy for doll customization stuff, I found these adorable little doll house snails. At $15.00 USD per, they might be a bit spendy, but if you added a couple to the base (or maybe even perched on the helmet) of infantry champions or foot-slogging heroes, they could help tie them to the rest of the theme.

image.jpeg.074e6a00669d1e473a481cb2cde20e1b.jpeg

Not going to lie, I am tempted to pick up a few. Knowing me, I would immediately drop them on the floor and lose them forever though... hmmm....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, OreoGolem said:

That's some spicy new rules in the Infernal Dwarf book released today. (I have no doubt there will be a good deal of changes, but wow)

Indeed! Some very crazy stuff. I'm staying away from the Immortals, no way they will stay as-is.

Currently playing around with lists! 

• Like 1