Oathmark - General Discussion

Ish

Well thank the gods we only need two of us to start playing!

Also I found this awesome kingdom and army builder: https://github.com/danielloeblein/oathmark-army-builder

Just download, unzip, and open the html with any browser - pretty impressive!

I’ve totally started designing one kingdom with an idea for a second.

FYI North Star Minis is doing their order 4 get a 5th squad free deal again through the 19th as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my copy of the book. This looks like fun. It is a little more grounded than something like Kings of War, and has the bonus of there being actual local people to game with. 

And looking at my minis, I can field at least 3 armies, with some cross-over. This would be the perfect use for my old High Elves, since they've been dropped from Age of Sigmar. 

The basic rulebook covers Humans, Orcs & Goblins, Elves, and Dwarfs. There’s an upcoming supplement that will be adding Undead. The default tone of the game is a sort of low fantasy Tolkien-esque pseudo-medieval sword-and-sorcery milieu (which is exactly what I want in a fantasy world) but there’s ample room for reflavoring the existing rules to match just about anything. 

Just about everything from old WHFB should fit into Oathmark, if you get a little creative with your Kingdom building. Some of the more High Renaissance units from the Empire or the crazier steampunk contraptions of the Skaven would require a little bit of suspension of disbelief, but they can fit.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh yeah! Just got my Oathbreakers and definitely going to run some undeath!

They’re somewhat split between two subfactions (elite & horde) kinda like orcs & goblins so it’s more like two new factions to play.

Going to have at least two separate army ideas now once the damn pandemic is over. Just need to find more undead models to build so my army doesn’t just look like a Reapermini Kickstarter pledge.

Anyone know where to get cheap skeleton ribcages and legs? The multipart kits all come with so many extra arms!

• Like 1

Wargames Atlantic has a nice skeleton set and so does Warlord Games.  Both have a sort of Ancient Greek / Ancient Levant aesthetic to them, which I love out of sheer childhood nostalgia for old Ray Harryhausen flicks. Cheap too, working out to about a buck a skeleton.

The Citadel Skulls box (a ridiculously low priced offering from GW) can be pressed into service alongside any spare skeletal limbs you have. Take your standard issue pseduo-medieval troopers from any other range, lop off their heads and some of their arms. Replace with skulls and skeleton arms... Maybe a bit of green stuff for sleeves and what not.  You now have a legion of zombies. (Bonus points if you use the models and paint scheme of your best friend’s army!)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ish said:

Wargames Atlantic has a nice skeleton set and so does Warlord Games.  Both have a sort of Ancient Greek / Ancient Levant aesthetic to them, which I love out of sheer childhood nostalgia for old Ray Harryhausen flicks. Cheap too, working out to about a buck a skeleton.

The Citadel Skulls box (a ridiculously low priced offering from GW) can be pressed into service alongside any spare skeletal limbs you have. Take your standard issue pseduo-medieval troopers from any other range, lop off their heads and some of their arms. Replace with skulls and skeleton arms... Maybe a bit of green stuff for sleeves and what not.  You now have a legion of zombies. (Bonus points if you use the models and paint scheme of your best friend’s army!)

Yeah, I have a box of those skulls, and I like the wargames atlantic skeletons too! But this would still leave me with a bunch of extra arms. With every kit out there being limited by the number of torsos/legs in the box someone could make a killing selling full sprues of just classic styled chests & legs.

You could probably get some “blue stuff” and make casts... 

If you have a resin printer, you can probably find a skeleton model on Thingiverse or wherever, then use your slicer to hack it down to just the torso. (FDM printers probably wouldn’t have the resolution.)

• Like 1

Well, obviously there’s GW, Mantic, and so forth. But I’ve always found the “mainstream” fantasy wargames to be really cartoonish with their war engines. I’d suggest looking at historical wargame manufacturers: Perry Miniatures, Victrix, Crusader Miniatures, Fireforge, et cetera...

For example, Gripping Beast offers a nice selection of Late Roman war engines, approximately 3rd to 5th Century CE. But all of them would have been in use well into the 12th to 14th Century... You’d just need to swap out the crew. (In fact, GB sells the same onager kit two ways depending on if you want Late Roman or Medieval Norman crew!)

The default tone for Oathmark is sort of a pseudo-historical Early Medieval Period. Not quite history, not quite high fantasy. Charlemagne and Merlin versus Attila and Sauron... So things like cannons should probably be avoided. 

image.jpeg.13cc8262c0249006a5b2cc8967e78115.jpeg

image.gif.646e1a4f6021c59ba44b5ac1b47bbb6e.gif

Just like my great-great-great-grandpa used to use!

Onagers and mangonels would be my “go to” for Light Catapults; Trebuchets would be my choice for Heavy Catapults... But since size can vary tremendously amongst models, you can probably call anything suitably big a “heavy” and anything on the smallish side a “light.”

If you can track down the WHFB Screaming Skull Catapult – the original from way back in the Nineties – it would be perfect for an Undead army. It’s a little on the fantastic side, but not too over the top. The size is perfect too.

image.jpeg.3e1c9e469294efc685481572c0ed8fbf.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Thanks, these are great! I liked some of the WHFB ones but of course those were nuked by AoS and now cost a kidney for even a relatively newish condition one.

Your comment about the crews got me thinking - that’s a few extra torsos & legs to swap around too - just hide the hybrid ones in the middle of the ranks. They’re ghoulish cultists anyways!

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Raulum said:

Oh man - great to see that there are locals interested in Oathmark too!! I've been in the Oathmark Discord and FB group for awhile but thought I would be resigned to collecting a display army only 😛  not so!

Yeah, there’s a good few of us getting armies ready for when the club reopens. Monthly or even weekly games are looking like a real possibility. Which is great for the kingdom building and hero advancement rules!

There’s a new supplemental book of scenarios & heroes stuff coming this summer as well!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Tao Tsê-Mung said:

Yeah, there’s a good few of us getting armies ready for when the club reopens. Monthly or even weekly games are looking like a real possibility. Which is great for the kingdom building and hero advancement rules!

There’s a new supplemental book of scenarios & heroes stuff coming this summer as well!

Great!! I recently picked up Battlesworn and Oathbreakers; I'll likely run mostly undead 🙂  looking forward to playing some games!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had been sooo close to buying several boxes of Wargames Atlantic Halfling Militia and supplementing them with heroes, cavalry, and elites from Westfalia... But I decided to buy a bunch of dwarves instead.

So, of course, rules for Halflings had to come out a few days after I hit the “Confirm Purchase” button.

Well, guess I have a project for next year.

43 minutes ago, Ish said:

I had been sooo close to buying several boxes of Wargames Atlantic Halfling Militia and supplementing them with heroes, cavalry, and elites from Westfalia... But I decided to buy a bunch of dwarves instead.

So, of course, rules for Halflings had to come out a few days after I hit the “Confirm Purchase” button.

Well, guess I have a project for next year.

Damn, I thought of the Wargames Atlantic set immediately too - been periodically looking at the photos and the 3-box deal all afternoon.

So far I’m resisting on the basis of there only being one sling per sprue because they included three bows which seems silly for hobbits.