Oathmark - General Discussion

Ish

Just now, spencercf said:

A discord was just started and things maybe starting to get going again. I'd like to try this a few more times at club house but my availability is a mess right now and Sat and Sun mornings are prob my best open days right now.

I'm not on discord but I'm available most Sat/Sun, Thurs as well.

• Like 1

As Spencer mentioned, I've set up a discord server about it to try and encourage local interest. One of my projects over this summer is going to be to demo Oathmark to new people whenever I find the opportunity. I think I'm going to do it at game stores when possible on the off chance I catch attention from spectators. We'll see how it goes. It'll probably be a while before I can scare up enough people for a campaign format, but I don't mind staying in demo mode for quite a while.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Jello92 said:

I just bought the books (not yet delivered). I'm up for games starting April. I don't think I have any models that would fit the game, but I could use some of my 9th age beastmen or ogres.

The game is “miniatures agnostic,” so just about any historical or fantasy miniatures will work. The official factions in the game are Human, Dwarf, Elf, Orc, Goblin, Undead*, and Halfling**. 

Running other fantasy armies as “counts as” proxies is a pretty common occurrence. Heck, the game’s own author has several articles on his blog about using his Skaven as “counts as” goblins. So although there is no “Beastmen” faction, it should be easy enough to find unit equivalents among one of the factions in game (Orcs seems the obvious choice) and while there are Ogre units, there’s not a real good match for a lot of the things in the full army from WHFB/9th Age… But you should be able to run the basic chonky lads as Ogres or Ogre Linebreakers.

The real key is to make sure your units have an appropriate “footprint” via their bases or movement tray and that your opponent can tell what unit is what: “These Beastmen with spears are Orc Spearmen and these Beastmen with two-handed axes are Orc Linebreakers.” is perfectly fine. “These Beastmen with spears are Orc Spearmen but these Beastmen with spears are Goblin Slave Slingers.” is not fine.

* Undead are added in the Oathbreakers supplement;

** Halflings were added via an “officially unofficial” download from the author’s blog.

• Thanks 1

Cool. I have plenty of stls for human, dwarf and elf. I'm just not printing anything significant for a few months. We are planning on moving to the beaverton/Tigard area this summer. I suppose I should have asked where you guys are. I forget that some of the group is up north.

That's fair. I don't think I'd be able to remember the difference between two units that look the same. I think I saw some movement trays on thingiverse for converting 20mm to 25mm units. That I don't have a problem printing.

I just moved to St. John’s, absolutely lovely house and a very nice neighborhood… But it isn’t exactly local to any of our friendly local gaming shops. The Portland Game Store is about 30-40 minutes by bus, Guardian Games and Ordo are about an hour. On the other hand, my new job is downtown and is mere minutes away from Ordo and Guardian… So that’s nice.

Theres a set of STL files linked in the earlier pages of this thread for putting 20 x 20 mm square or 20 mm round basis onto Oathmark sized 125 mm frontage trays. But there’s a good amount of other options floating around the internet. Some of the ones for adapting round bases are usually like 128 to 130 mm in width, which really isn’t that big of a deal… So don’t stress yourself over a few millimeters. 

• Like 1

I live in Saint Helens, but work in Tigard. We just got a small flgs about a year ago called Pantheon. They have a little space to play, but I think the few people out here play 40k or magic. I end up going to the beaverton Hillsboro area most of the time.

I'll look back through here and grab those.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t, but as a fan of both Oathmark and Frostgrave (who also likes what I’ve read about Rangers and Stargrave) I’m positively inclined to believe it’s probably good… But nothing in the description makes it feel like a “must buy.”

Maybe if it goes on sale?

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, Tao Tsê-Mung said:

Anyone played Oathmark with a more terrain-heavy board and a bit forgiving of the unit lines like the scenario photos in the books?

BD81F2D7-EF93-41DE-ADF0-7B72FAC36B28.jpeg.3094f3615523dab499935aa1b68577b2.jpeg

I’ve always used movement trays, making it very easy to keep the ranks together. Plus the use of neoprene mats instead of more naturally textured boards as seen in these photos (those are the dream, but for some reason my spouse and kids want “normal living room furniture” and “a dining room table” in the house).

Having said that, Oathmark isn’t overly fussy about precisely placing your minis. If your units frontage and flanks are the appropriate size give or take a few millimeters, that’s good enough. If a particular bit of scenery, like a tree root or a low-lying rock gets in the way of precise placement (and yet isn’t something so prominent it ought to be considered Terrain-Terrain) then either move that bit or skoosh the miniature a bit.

This isn’t r/WarhammerCompetitive, no one is going to be analyzing the position of your mini down to the micrometer.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...