Oathmark - General Discussion

Ish

Yeah, this is mostly intended as being a bit of visual “fluff” and shouldn’t really affect gameplay. 

One bit trouble I’m having (in addition to the tiles that haven’t been released yet) is that an Oathmark Kingdom is laid out in a 1-2-3-4-4 pattern. A hex map is going to be 1-6-12 pattern... 

I’m thinking we just say “to heck with it” and run the campaign as written in the rulebook, allowing the Kingdom Sheet to not be a completely accurate reflection of the tiles. We should try to keep them “close enough” but not worry about it too much.

Basically, I’m thinking of doing something kinda like this. The brown tile is a capital city, the orange tiles are level two territories, the green tiles are level three territories, the tan are level four, and the blue are level five.

B2A8FA29-D063-43BF-96B9-9C7323AAA786.jpeg.8561eba69294296db5d114cb1d829b3c.jpeg

So, it’s the right number of territories for a kingdom map, but it’s not laid out in the exact same pattern. We’ll just have to use our imaginations to justify the differences.

• Ish changed the title to Oathmark - General Discussion

The tiles are 55 mm (~2") from flat edge to flat edge. An eight-player campaign would require at least 112 hexes... Which would require a grid of at least 11 * 11. So very rough math, that's basically a 2' x 2' footprint. We should be able to set up something in a corner somewhere... 

I'm gonna order a pack of these toothpicks from Amazon, drill a small hole into each hex, and make little flags. I'm thinking a flag at full staff, flying proud, to show that the territory is controlled by it's rightful king and a flag at half staff, maybe with a bit of battle damage, to show that the territory is occupied by a foreign power.  

I finally got my kingdom built out. Ive been listening a lot to The Fall of Rome and love the Byzantine medieval aesthetic. I think that using the base models from the LotR starter set will be perfect to build around and already have ideas for filling out the rest of the army

Kingdom Name- Nicomedia

Current Ruler- Duke Frederick Alonzo de Constance-Lumishie

Born of a union between the two great families from powerful southern kingdoms, Frederick strove to make a name for himself in the twisted and convoluted politics of the decedent south. Despite the powerful and ancient noble blood in his veins, he was not in line for succession and the mixed families of his house meant he was kept out of certain religious and political posts that could help him gain the influence needed to get him on the coveted throne. 

Realizing how troublesome he would become, the current emperor and senate sent him north to establish a territories and subjugate the kingdoms long outside their reach. He graciously accepted his new role, and knew that fastest way to sitting on the throne was with a loyal army at his back. Establishing a city named after the first Emperor, he conquered and allied with willing orc tribes to build kingdom that'll be his place of power before returning home and taking the throne he knows is his.

Kingdom Design

1. Human Capital
  2. Plains, Smithies
  3. Orc City, Dark Hills, Smithies
  4. Dungeons, Ancient Ruins, Barrens, Rough Hills

My goal is to build a fast, hard hitting army of human knights and orc linebreakers. Light cav and wolves for getting to the back line and flank charges.

I love the idea of orcs as more noble tribesmen, like Gauls. Also I love Cataphracts, so being able to combine the two makes me the happiest wargamer ever!

• Thanks 1

Dishonorable and dishonest Humans! No respect for oaths and treaties... Can’t trust ‘em. They expect us to believe this nonsense about some new Duke So-and-so who never swore any “ancient oaths” to us? Harrumph. ‘Twas only a mere five hundred years ago when it was done. 

King Järnskägg will show them the error of their ways and teach them the price of treachery!

Looks like I am going to be able to join an oathmark League!  Going for Elves and Humans:

Capitol: Elf City

2: Grasslands, Silver Mines

3: Kennel, Tower, Plains (for human cav, I'm calling them half-elves)

4: Hill Cave, Moors, Dark Forest, Barrens.

I'll get some backstory going when I have a minute.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, now that the perfidious Elves have made themselves known, I suppose I better redouble my efforts to make my kingdom’s borders secure.

A7764D9C-EA50-4B63-B946-ECD66153EFDA.thumb.jpeg.56170b8c31a9bf5be086a11a9021427b.jpeg

I ran out of filament, but for now, I’ve got fourteen tiles done. Four of them are just generic hills (but I’m very pleased with how the flocking looks on them) and I have only fully finished one of the tiles for my kingdom: my Dwarf Capital City. 

D25C9300-A57F-4BC4-BEE0-7EA2F3335DC3.thumb.jpeg.e6fe71debb56066f1701577c6f6864c9.jpeg

I also made a mash-up of a open water tile and a free compass rose I found on Thingiverse. I plan to stick it in a corner of the map for purely decretive purposes.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

I just ordered the main rulebook and the undead book. Yay skellies!

I’ve got all three currently available books (and Bane of Kings on pre-order), if you’re going to be at WOW tonight I’d be happy to bring them with so you can preview them.